Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2017, 21:38   #676
Senior - BHPian

Re: Railway Pics

Here is what I feel is the pièce de résistance from my trip. We at Team BHP are very interested in 0-100 timings of cars. Here is something similar, but it involves a train! The video is from Mangalore - Madgaon passenger, which was the third leg of my trip. The train hauled by an Erode WDM-3D loco clocks 0 to 110 kmph in just a shade below 4 minutes, which is impressive by railway standards Since I was in the third coach from locomotive, the melodious chugging of loco can be clearly heard!

I hope you will find it enjoyable
AkMar is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 23:01   #677
Senior - BHPian

Some pics of the Chennai Metro taken on May 21st, 2017, when it was inaugurated. All iPhone 7 plus.
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics-blue-steel.jpg  

Railway Pics-topaz-2342.1.001_snapseed.jpg  

Railway Pics-topaz-2378.jpg  

Railway Pics-topaz-2389001.jpg  

Durango Dude is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 23:13   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Here is what I feel is the pièce de résistance from my trip. We at Team BHP are very interested in 0-100 timings of cars. Here is something similar, but it involves a train! The video is from Mangalore - Madgaon passenger, which was the third leg of my trip. The train hauled by an Erode WDM-3D loco clocks 0 to 110 kmph in just a shade below 4 minutes, which is impressive by railway standards Since I was in the third coach from locomotive, the melodious chugging of loco can be clearly heard!
How did you measure the speed ?
through some phone App ?

Last edited by ampere : 22nd November 2017 at 09:15. Reason: Removed video link
Old 22nd November 2017, 08:27   #679
Senior - BHPian

A few pics on my trip to Salem on June 10th, 2017.
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics-riding-into-sunset....jpg  

Railway Pics-topaz-2744.jpg  

Railway Pics-topaz-2749.jpg  

Railway Pics-topaz-2769.jpg  

Durango Dude is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 17:50   #680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
A few pics on my trip to Salem on June 10th, 2017.
Dude, the pics you click with your iPhone and olloclip lenses are stunning every single time! Makes me want to get the olloclip for myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
How did you measure the speed ?
through some phone App ?
Yes, measured it using phone app. And after traveling extensively, the track sounds also help to make a rough guess about speed
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 19:41   #681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yes, measured it using phone app. And after traveling extensively, the track sounds also help to make a rough guess about speed
Another way to get a rough speed is noting the time to cover every 100m which is marked on a board beside the track.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 12:10   #682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dude, the pics you click with your iPhone and olloclip lenses are stunning every single time! Makes me want to get the olloclip for myself
Thank you, Akmar, it's good for shooting while travelling and when you're also the driver, fit the lens and frame and the iPhone does the rest. Use Adobe PS Express app for editing and share.
Old 4th December 2017, 20:02   #683
Senior - BHPian

I’m not sure if info is to be placed in this thread. But I found this more relevant here.

Mysore-Bangalore lines have now been completely electrified and is about to get official post the inspection from Senior Raliway officials. A trial run with an individual electric loco made its run successfully.

This was my dream of seeing electric locos from 1995 and kept asking my uncle as to when we would get electric locos into Mys! Finally it’s almost after 22years of my asking I get to see this getting realized. Way to go IR!

But I will miss the diesels a lot especially the WDP series engines which were powerful and changed the face of Diesel engines and proved to be powerful.

Link: SOM

Mods: please feel free to move this to appropriate thread if there’s any!
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 20:41   #684
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post

Mysore-Bangalore lines have now been completely electrified and is about to get official post the inspection from Senior Raliway officials. A trial run with an individual electric loco made its run successfully.
Thats great news. Now I guess trains like the Shatabdi can run completely electric end to end instead of wanting a loco change at Bengaluru. But I guess the doubling of the line will do greater good with some reduction in travel times especially for the lower priority trains which seem to get some random waiting times if there is an incoming train from the opposite side.

I think providing good train connectivity between Bangalore and Mysore will ease the rush on the highway especially from tourists who come from outside of Bangalore and then hire a car from Bangalore to Mysore and further on. Providing good train connectivity will enable them to do the same from Mysore and take a taxi to roam about instead of getting stuck on endless jams on the Bangalore Mysore highway during long weekends.
Old 4th December 2017, 21:30   #685
BHPian

Quote:
This was my dream of seeing electric locos from 1995 and kept asking my uncle as to when we would get electric locos into Mys! Finally it’s almost after 22years of my asking I get to see this getting realized. Way to go IR!
While this would reduce Shatabdi's travel time + time taken to change Locos, there can be only slight benefits in time for other Long Distance trains from Yeshwanthpur / Hosur side as they are not electrified. It is time that Bangalore - Hubli line is completely doubled and electrified.
Old 4th December 2017, 21:40   #686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Thats great news. Now I guess trains like the Shatabdi can run completely electric end to end instead of wanting a loco change at Bengaluru. But I guess the doubling of the line will do greater good with some reduction in travel times especially for the lower priority trains which seem to get some random waiting times if there is an incoming train from the opposite side. .
Yes - shatabdhi will benefit for sure. Doubling of the line is indeed another advantage which has to speed up in terms of completion. But I’ll surely miss the huge diesels shunting between the cities at high speeds making amazing turbine sounds when they speed up!
Railway Pics-9c2f17b2c3e24b078438fc824db43e23.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
While this would reduce Shatabdi's travel time + time taken to change Locos, there can be only slight benefits in time for other Long Distance trains from Yeshwanthpur / Hosur side as they are not electrified. It is time that Bangalore - Hubli line is completely doubled and electrified.
Ya I’ve heard the Hubli line is pretty busy and exhaustive for traveling through trains.
On the other hand, though giving up diesels is painful, but are pretty beneficial for nature because railways have kept a close watch on the smoke spewing old engines causing a lot of air pollution. Hope the railways are seeing your post to take the next step towards the busy lines you’ve quoted in your post.

Last edited by gururajrv : 4th December 2017 at 21:45.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 13:12   #687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. But I’ll surely miss the huge diesels shunting between the cities at high speeds making amazing turbine sounds when they speed up!
Diesels will not be fully removed from this line.
It depends on availability of electric locos which SWR sheds don't hold. The electrics that come on the night trains that are stabled during the day can be utilized, but they also need to return to Bangalore before they depart in the evenings with their original links.

The first trains I see to use electric traction are the ones that arrive from Chennai with an electric link.
Old 6th December 2017, 15:01   #688
Distinguished - BHPian

Questions for the train engine experts - (1) are electric locomotives cheaper in the long run to the diesel - electric ones? I notice that USA & Canada use large diesels primarily. I thought diesels gave greater flexibility to operate on the medium to thin routes. (2) What is the reason we have 3 gauge widths - is it only cost that has prevented us from converting all track to broad gauge? Thanks.
PS: I am a Newbie to railways.
Old 6th December 2017, 15:10   #689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Another way to get a rough speed is noting the time to cover every 100m which is marked on a board beside the track.
In the early 80s, when tracks were not electrified, the method used was the count the time taken to cross 16 poles beside the tracks--not those for electrical traction, btw. 16 poles represented one km. This was told to me by an Anglo-Indian railway driver.
Old 6th December 2017, 15:33   #690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Questions for the train engine experts - (1) are electric locomotives cheaper in the long run to the diesel - electric ones? I notice that USA & Canada use large diesels primarily. I thought diesels gave greater flexibility to operate on the medium to thin routes. (2) What is the reason we have 3 gauge widths - is it only cost that has prevented us from converting all track to broad gauge? Thanks.
PS: I am a Newbie to railways.
1- I am not sure about this. My guess is electric is cheaper on the long run due to the fact that maintenance is lesser than a diesel and the absence of fuel expense. The other main reason is they are much more efficient than a diesel. USA & Canada doesn't have a big rail network compared to their road network which can be a reason.

2- After project Uni-gauge, the only Narrow and Meter gauge are the ones that have some significance like the Ooty-Mettupalayam and the few up North. The last of the Meter gauge was stopped recently for conversion, in Rajasthan if I am correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
In the early 80s, when tracks were not electrified, the method used was the count the time taken to cross 16 poles beside the tracks--not those for electrical traction, btw. 16 poles represented one km. This was told to me by an Anglo-Indian railway driver.
I am guessing they were the telegraph poles between stations.

Last edited by tharian : 6th December 2017 at 15:37.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed