Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2010, 03:54   #1
BHPian

Me: "Can I take a Look inside?"
"Hop In"..

This is how it started.

was going back to my home town and about 50 kms from my place, where the "bogie" dumps the Express and runs off with a local Engine; I had the conversation above.

Now I'll let the pics do the talking. All pics taken from my then trusty and now rusty N73 phone Cam.

1) The View from the Cockpit & the "Driver"

2600 BHP, 16 Cylinder, Diesel AT Locomotive - want a ride?-1.jpg

2) The "Clinner" - This guy also pays attention to the platform and pays attention that the passengers and not attempting funny while the train starts moving. The Thing hanging beside the door under the mirror is one of the five brakes of the train (I think an Emergency one)

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 51632
Size:  100.9 KB

3) The view from the Driver's Seat. Imagine you only needing to watch one side of your car - The "Clinner" is watching out for the other side.

Also, check out the "Agarbatti" on the top of the console - No cup holders / slots needed to hold your stuff. You can even keep a Keg of beer / a mini fridge, computer, a 60 CD Changer, and a small size Cooler (as in Desert Coolers etc) inside and still have enough space left to "Get Lucky".

2600 BHP, 16 Cylinder, Diesel AT Locomotive - want a ride?-3.jpg

4) The Driver was gracious enough to answer all my queries about the engine of the engine. They get 2 years of training for this. Too bad he couldn't remember "Torque" part.

One 100 kms run of 3/4 hours and you are done for the day. (This is a kind of local shuttle for 3 times a day) Man I would love this Job. Even if the engine gives up on you, try to fix it only for 15 minutes and then call for Backup. Now a days they use cell phone, earlier used to "Hotwire"(?) the Telephone lines and call for Help. (Me would just have a smoke and then call for Help )

2600 BHP, 16 Cylinder, Diesel AT Locomotive - want a ride?-4.jpg

5) The 'Driver' operating Horn. Engine / Train brakes can be seen on the right of the hand (right of the drivers left hand). Engine / Total Train brakes are different. The horizontal lever far below left (yours) is the brake (again engine type). The lever above that is the 'Throttle' (Imagine yourself trying of show off revving your engine with that kind of throttle). Gauges show the Pressure of Air Brakes (yup.. Truck type) & other things that I couldn't remember. Speedo can be seen on the center right. The Book contains the log of reaching time of each station, Walkie Talkie to say "Tata" to the Station Master.

2600 BHP, 16 Cylinder, Diesel AT Locomotive - want a ride?-5.jpg
2600 BHP, 16 Cylinder, Diesel AT Locomotive - want a ride?-6.jpg
6) The operating console - We can see the two brakes & the white lever at the bottom is the 'Accelerator'.

Here is a catch. The brakes lack the lever if you watch carefully. Wait for it - This a an extra set - YES. This is an extra set - The one blocking the "Clinner's" view in the Pic# 2. This is used when the train engine goes in the opposite direction - "Reverse" in our language.

2600 BHP, 16 Cylinder, Diesel AT Locomotive - want a ride?-7.jpg

7) The Speed Limit board - These things actually have speed limit depending on the track types. No Speeding tickets though - But based on the material of the tracks (yup, Material) this could prove to be Dangerous. This one says 50kmph.

2600 BHP, 16 Cylinder, Diesel AT Locomotive - want a ride?-8.jpg

8) This Board (146 Down) shows the down gradient. After 146 meteres, your level would be down by 1 meter from the sea level. Imagine that kind of boards in the Ghats?

2600 BHP, 16 Cylinder, Diesel AT Locomotive - want a ride?-9.jpg

9) Another Speed Limit Board

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 35364
Size:  133.3 KB

10) The Clinner can be seen in the Pic.

2600 BHP, 16 Cylinder, Diesel AT Locomotive - want a ride?-loco.jpg

Massive Hulk of 118 Tonnes/2600 bhp (180 bhp only used to move the engine)
16 cylinder with about 10 L per cylinder (Apne aate ke dabbe jitna bada ek cylinder hota hain ) (Newer models have about 12 cylinders)

top speed of 160 kms(when empty and the track permits)
Normal cruising at about 90kmph
mileage of 400 litres of Diesel per 100 kms
Idling at 25 Lit. per hour
engine oil capacity - 500 L
Radiator capacity 910 litre
Crank weighing 910 Kgs
serviced every 3000 kms (This one is sent about 5/600 kms round trip for servicing - Imagine the Oil filter and all)
Automatic transmission
Vacuum assisted Air Brakes similar to Trucks
5 Different Brakes including emergency
8 Batteries - 8 X 8V
Aux generator for Battery charging
separate unit for the Lights and the Laptop Charging points inside
u can also Jumpstart a train.

The Indian Railway's main income comes from the Goods business. One "Bogie" of those carries 56 tonnes. Passenger trains are just the courtesy service.

11) Cherry on the top - ride in the "Uno" HP thing after 14 years. The brake is at the "tail" end (engine braking on a descent)(check out the two belts coming towards the exhaust) and the Accelerator is at the chest(Pulling up on an ascent). Leaf type suspension (in the shape of "()" rotated in 90 degrees). Mileage of Rs 50 worth material in a Day. Yours for 40/50K on road. I asked for a TD but was told that this "Engine" is running a bit rough. The spare one is smoother. This guy can be called and booked in advance for a Cab ride or just a Horse drag.

Attachment 304182

Last edited by Dippy : 21st April 2010 at 16:46. Reason: As per request
no_sweat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th March 2010, 11:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Good writeup, thanks for the information.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th March 2010 at 12:51. Reason: Pics fixed
Old 9th March 2010, 18:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Great writeup!
I always wanted to be in one of these, and you traveled, GREAT!!!
Old 9th March 2010, 18:16   #4
BHPian

My my! no_sweat, i envy you. I always fancied big, crude structures. I recently traveled through train after 8 long years and boy, the feeling is the same. Beautiful writeup. Nicely explained. I guess the pics are slightly blurred due to the motion of the train. Did you use your phone

Again, thanks no_sweat!

See you around!

Cartman.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th March 2010 at 12:51. Reason: Mismatched pics corrected.
Old 9th March 2010, 18:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

WOW!!!You actually foot plated a an ET (Itarsi) wdm2. Now I am so jealous of you. This ALCO variant has one of the most 'orgasmic' diesel engine sound that you can hope to hear. Wow thats all I can say

Last edited by SPARKled : 9th March 2010 at 18:36.
SPARKled is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2010, 18:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Bad report -

No 0-100 , quatermile timings . what about mods and aftermarket kits ?
Old 9th March 2010, 18:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

That's a good write-up. If only the photos were properly put in place...
Old 10th March 2010, 09:06   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic Report.

I had missed this opportunity to travel in one of these diesel engines. They are awesome for the size and the sheer presence. Did you ask them about the ACDs that are put on these engines to avoid collisions.
Old 10th March 2010, 23:24   #9
BHPian

@cartman - I used a Nokia N73 for the pics. thanks

@SPARKled - What can i say? for me it was "I got a ride in a train engine" You people actually follow these models - This is fascinating.

@silversteed - They have been corrected - Thanks to the Mods for the same.

@nkrishnap - ya missed that. Did not know that back then - about 6 months ago
Old 11th March 2010, 05:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi, no_sweat, I really envy you !!! This used to be a childhood fantasy for me...to travel in the driver's cabin of a rail locomotive.

When i was a kid, i used to look at those massive diesel locomotives with awe. I used to love the sound of that engine (WDM2 was the one that we got to see the most at Coimbatore in the 80s)...the turbo whine was something to die for, and this was long before we got turbocharged engines in cars.

And I used to think that it must be something magical to be able to pull the entire train at such speed (trying to relate to the power of the diesel engine of a bus). Only later, I came to know that they are actually diesel-electric locomotives : the diesel engine (that we hear) drives a generator, which produces electricity, which in turn is used (after suitable amplification) to drive the electric traction motors which are connected to the wheels.

The sound of those diesel engines (especially at idle) is music to my ears even today.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 11th March 2010 at 06:01.
Old 11th March 2010, 07:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Good fun writeup. Me liked!
Old 11th March 2010, 08:57   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Hi, no_sweat, I really envy you !!! This used to be a childhood fantasy for me...to travel in the driver's cabin of a rail locomotive.

The sound of those diesel engines (especially at idle) is music to my ears even today.
Absolutely nothing beats the sound of an IR ALCO WDM2/2a locomotive accelerating. I LOVE that deep whup-whup-whup that I am able to hear from my home which is about 1.5-2 kms from the station. Keep an eye on the tracks when I am on my way back from office.

And yes though I am still hoping for one of my childhood dreams to come true (the 1st was to ride in a airliner cockpit which came true) i.e. ride in a locomotive next to the driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_sweat View Post
Me: "Can I take a Look inside?"
"Hop In"..

This is how it started.
Thank you!! I had a silly grin on my face when I read your post and pointed out to my wife..."so you see I am not the only locomotive crazy person. Most men remain boys at heart". She could only nod in amazement.

Cheers!
Old 11th March 2010, 09:18   #13
BANNED

Just awesome man, really envy you. The details are very enlightening. They are the most powerful, heavy and rugged engines to run on land and needless to say the sound is music.
Old 11th March 2010, 11:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

@no_sweat: Oh Yes! I am a huge fan of Indian Railways and if any one else is you should definitely visit the IR fan site irfca.org
You will be surprised at the info and the passion of members there for IR.
Old 11th March 2010, 16:19   #15
BHPian

Good one, kind of first in TBHP, How did you manage to get in lucky guy, was the driver known to you?

keep up the great work; have fun

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th March 2010 at 16:52. Reason: Hi, please avoid posting in all bold / italicized text. Thanks.

Most Viewed