Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2010, 20:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Iris, Tata's quirky little Bajaj auto rival

By revealing of the Aria and to lesser extent the Venture, there was very little spotlight left for the Iris to grab, the third new car from Tata. Just came across a review on Zigwheels and this quirky little number is beginning to grow on me.
I know its one of the least glamorous models to be launched (many find it downright ugly) and is at the bottom of the Automotive heirarchy, but Tata is aiming for the undefeated stalwart i.e Bajaj RE auto. Most attempts at this havent met sucess especially since no one can compete with the Bajaj on price. Strangely if Tata can churn out the Nano at 1.25 lacs, the Iris being more basic, lesser doors, single cyl. engine etc. should be cheaper, theres no pricing available yet.
Also this should be a far more comfortable and safer alternative to the Bajaj auto (Unfortunately for the anti Tata brigade it doesnt have front and curtain airbags, ABS, NCAP 5 star rating)
Actually I find this a more ideal second car option than the Nano especially if its meant for more cruder applications. Highlights:
  • Liquid cooled, Direct Injection, 1 cyl. 611cc Diesel, developed with Greaves.
  • 11 bhp/31 Nm
  • Rear engined, rear wheel drive
  • 4 speed, dash mounted gear shift
  • Hydraulic drum brakes all round
  • 3 door, 5 seater , minimum Indian capacity
  • Pilot production started, to be built alongside Nano

Sorry forgot the source
Tata Magic Iris Magic Last Miler - Reviews - Zigwheels

This could change the face of Indian roads. Looks way better than the ugly, third world, dinosaur age Bajaj Auto, which IMO are single handedly responsible for 50% of chaos on Indian roads.

Couldn't agree more when Adil said in the above article - "Unfortunately trying to do the same job forever with the same dated (read bajaj auto) tackle is not possible and this is where the Magic Iris moves into the mainframe. It is a vehicle whose time has come, or if I can paraphrase it even more emphatically, this should have manifested itself at least a decade ago!"

I hope it catches up and Indian roads get the much needed discipline and elegance!

Last edited by Dippy : 11th March 2010 at 09:26. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 10th March 2010, 20:19   #2
BHPian

Magic Iris is truly one of the most important launches in the auto expo but got lost in all the glitz. Hope TATA launches it soon.
Old 10th March 2010, 22:06   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Actually I find this a more ideal second car option than the Nano especially if its meant for more cruder applications. Highlights:

This is no doubt an important vehicle but not a second car option. I can hardly call it a car.

Last edited by Dippy : 19th March 2010 at 13:49. Reason: Correcting quote
Old 10th March 2010, 22:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

I am not against Iris, but then my points are :

1) FE. CNG auto is a lot more cheaper to run.
2) Maintenance. An Auto can be repaired at practically any place. A local mechanic can repair and atleast get one to service center. The cost is also not very high. What in case of Iris.
3) Cost of spares. Auto spares and parts are not very expensive. Can similar be said about Iris ?

If these three things are taken care of, Iris scores over Autos.

Here, in Vadodara/Gujarat, the fare is generally regarded as higher. My friend recently came from Kolkata and told me the same. So I am afraid that very few customers will find travelling in Iris a reasonable option if fare increases.
Old 10th March 2010, 22:15   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunilM View Post
This could change the face of Indian roads. Looks way better than the ugly, third world, dinosaur age Bajaj Auto, which IMO are single handedly responsible for 50% of chaos on Indian roads.
You love self-deprecating humor, don't you? On a more serious note, won't it add to the chaos rather than reduce it?
Old 10th March 2010, 22:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

@ Aggoswami

Yep, have to agree, the biggest advantage the Bajaj auto has is the fact that its both easy and cheap to maintain; half the Auto drivers know to fix it themselves.
But pollution norms could play catch up with the classic 2S engine, the 4S engined version was a faliure for Bajaj, the GDi petrol version hasnt really caught on, diesel versions are very expensive. That said Bajaj are no lightweights either, their technical competence is very high and they can easily bring the prices down for this 'dinosaur aged three wheeled platform'.
One has to wait and watch as to how Tata prices the Iris, how fuel efficient it is and of course theres always the reliability question?!!
Old 11th March 2010, 00:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

a well alternative to the ancient autorickshaw, but can the Iris be as cheap as these autos. only time will tell & almost every product that TATA launches become successful so i think this will be a hit too.

only if TATA could have designed it in a better way, it looks awful.
Old 11th March 2010, 00:58   #8
BHPian

IMO the Iris looks better than the Bajaj RE, But what matters most here is fuel efficiency, Cost, and maintenance. I hope the iris is better than Bajaj RE ain all aspects. At least we can see something different
Attached Thumbnails
Iris, Tata's quirky little Bajaj auto rival-tatamagiciris.jpg  

Iris, Tata's quirky little Bajaj auto rival-bajaj.jpg  

Old 11th March 2010, 03:52   #9
BHPian

Actually Tata can make it a little bigger and with better design it will compete with omni.
Old 11th March 2010, 08:01   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
shortbread : ..the biggest advantage the Bajaj auto has is the fact that its both easy and cheap to maintain; half the Auto drivers know to fix it themselves.
With time, any product will become such. When a vehicle is very new, they may not be able to find their way around immediately. But if a break down does happen, then will try a trial-&-error, and soon enough they will get to know their vehicles.

If this is going to be a competetor to the rick, we can expect the doors to be easy-to-take-off (for summer) and -easy-to-mount-again (for the monsoons). A definite advantage for all.
Quote:
airbender : Actually Tata can make it a little bigger and with better design it will compete with omni.
They already have showcased the Venture - which looks better than the Omni.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1667746-post297.html

Last edited by condor : 11th March 2010 at 08:05.
Old 11th March 2010, 09:18   #11
BHPian

What impresses me the most is the styling of this vehicle. Its cheeky with an 'in-your-face' attitude.

The interior packaging is superb though. Space management is becoming Tata's stronghold.

Last edited by Trapezio : 11th March 2010 at 09:22.
Old 11th March 2010, 09:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Cant they just remove the doors off of a Nano to use as a Auto?

Ultimately, people in India should realize the dirt that gets thrown out in the air by the engines will have a bad effect on health (its already happening). I don't know why pollution standards are so retarded for public transport vehicles when they are the ones that travel the most.
Old 11th March 2010, 09:28   #13
BANNED

ths dual light will add to the vehicle presence, 4 wheels will reduce crazr driving habits and the door being mountable and de mountable is serious advantage. Tata already has a good service network. IMO this will pick up in the market easily.
Old 11th March 2010, 09:49   #14
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

frankly given a choice between taking an Auto and taking an Iris, I would pick the Iris, even at a 15-20% higher charge.
Much safer, much better and frankly Im about sick and tired of auto rickshaws.
But, it will take atleast another generation before Iris/Reva and the like are able to push the miserable auto rickshaws out of the marketplace.
Old 11th March 2010, 10:43   #15
BHPian

Spotted one being tested

I did spot 1 IRIS being tested in Nigdi a week back. Was in a moving bus and took the picture with cell phone. Picture quality is not good. Interestingly this one didn't have the headlights as shown at auto Expo. Just couple of round basic lights(i think for testing only).

Looks like cannot post picture from off network. Will upload in evening.

Most Viewed