Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2010, 20:28   #76
Senior - BHPian

I do endorse Transsenger.
Its not that Volvo is doing a kind of social service but the only way to promote their business is to offer a free training and make customers comfortable in making the buying decision.
More over unlike AL which details the driving techniques, Volvo does it a kind of Service Training only. (correct me if i am wrong).
Old 9th April 2010, 22:50   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
That is exactly Tata tried with Hispano Globus. A new segment at 50 Lakh. But i think Tatas have not started to market it nationally yet (Only few direct sales to selected operators)
In delhi a lot of modern low floor buses with auto boxes (some of them AC) are floating around with the TATA MARCOPOLO brand name. Could these be the offsprings of TATA's marriage with Hispano Globus, or is it something else?
Old 10th April 2010, 08:28   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
In delhi a lot of modern low floor buses with auto boxes (some of them AC) are floating around with the TATA MARCOPOLO brand name. Could these be the offsprings of TATA's marriage with Hispano Globus, or is it something else?
Marcopolo buses are offsprings from Tata's unholy relation with Marcopolo, while the Hispano is the offspring of TATA's marriage with Hispano
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2010, 15:33   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Marcopolo buses are offsprings from Tata's unholy relation with Marcopolo, while the Hispano is the offspring of TATA's marriage with Hispano
I should've seen it coming!!
Old 10th April 2010, 20:47   #80
Senior - BHPian

3 generations of B7R

Can anyone consolidate the three generations of B7R. I know its only in 3rd gen they got CRD engines. Like wise what all other two generations had. What all cosmetic changes that it had underwent?
Photos will also be welcome.
Old 11th April 2010, 09:36   #81
Senior - BHPian

@Ashley,
There are not 3, but 4 generations of B7R. The very first generation had square headlamps. Second Generation got round headlamps. Third generation saw a completely new front and rear ends. Headlamps got a black surround in this generation & shape of rear windscreen too changed. And finally the fourth generation is the one we see right now, with front and rear similar to B9R. Here are pics (first three by binaiks, and 4th by myself):

1st gen.
2nd gen.
3rd gen.
4th gen.
Old 11th April 2010, 17:33   #82
Senior - BHPian

Thanks akmar. btw, when was the engine changed to CRD. I guess in III gen. Was there any other changes in Gen II in engine apart from cosmetic changes.
Old 12th April 2010, 12:32   #83
BHPian

It will be ages before TATA or Ashok Leyland match the engine+drivetrain of Volvo. Its this seperating Volvo from TATAs.

The Rajahamsa i took yesterday was puttering in 1st gear on a 5 degree incline.
Old 12th April 2010, 13:10   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Thanks akmar. btw, when was the engine changed to CRD. I guess in III gen. Was there any other changes in Gen II in engine apart from cosmetic changes.
The difference between Gen I and Gen II is majorly cosmetic - there were some changes in the dash board layout and the such.

CRDi came at the fag end of Mark III. Mark III had both CRDi and non CRDi engines. The Mark III design came some time in early 2006 (or late 2005), while the CRDi came in mid 2006 or early 2007. With CRDi appearing, the engine also got uprated to 290hp from the earlier 260hp.

The Mark III design roughly coincides with the introduction of the B7RLE.
Old 12th April 2010, 13:54   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
In Chennai, more number of volvos running on weekends on profitable routes. I once asked the volvo driver about the mileage, in city it is atmost 3 kms per litre, not bad for such a big engine.. When these buses arrive at the terminal and if it scheduled for a 10-15 minute halt then they switch off the engine and AC, reason being heavy consumption of diesel..

Normal buses give close to 5 kms/litre. I think tank capacity is around 600 litres

source - http://www.volvo.com/NR/rdonlyres/6F...usBrochure.pdf
That is correct, they are operated more during week-ends. During week days the service is more concentrated in the main IT routes to garner maximum revenue. These buses run to near capacity on these routes when compared to others on city trips. But it is almost always a full house on the longer routes such as Chennai-Sriperumbudur etc.

A friend who recently traveled to Trichy and back told me some of the MTC Volvos are operated in the Chennai - Trichy route at nights. He travelled by one and the fare was Rs 300.

Last edited by Gansan : 12th April 2010 at 13:56.
Old 12th April 2010, 14:04   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
A friend who recently traveled to Trichy and back told me some of the MTC Volvos are operated in the Chennai - Trichy route at nights. He travelled by one and the fare was Rs 300.
These are the Volvos' operated by TNSTC (Villupuram) Division, they operate to Vellore, Pondy, Hosur also. What used to be operated to Villupuram has now been changed to Trichy.
Old 12th April 2010, 14:17   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
These are the Volvos' operated by TNSTC (Villupuram) Division, they operate to Vellore, Pondy, Hosur also. What used to be operated to Villupuram has now been changed to Trichy.
That is what I told him, but he said categorically he traveled by a city (MTC) Volvo. He even spoke to the driver/conductor about their extended work hours due to these trips, but said they were quite happy about the collection+incentive/bhata amounts, which does not quite add up in many of the city routes!
Old 12th April 2010, 15:24   #88
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by premjit View Post
In this, the greatest hand in this was played by the company itself, which interacted with all major transport operators across the company and brought about the advantages. Some that I remember being quoted were:

1. Speed
2. Safety and Driver Comfort, Better ergonomics
3. Longer maintainence cycles for engines and drive gear
4. Higher load bearing capacity compared to the single axle vehicles offered by the competition.
Thanks for the very informative post, Premjit. I guess Volvo also used productivity as a USP? That is, we can do xxxx more kms in the same time and thus, eventually work out cheaper? It's been a long time since I read that article on Volvo's Indian success.

Stunning thread. Rating it 5 stars.
Old 12th April 2010, 15:31   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
I had seen two buses on my way to Trichy, a week or so back both the buses were of TNSTC Villupuram unless my eyes deceived me, infact MTC had actually shifted these buses to TNSTC Villupuram because they were not making enough money. Strange if they have been taken back by MTC. Please note that they share the same colour scheme of the MTC Volvo's so its easy to think otherwise.
Old 12th April 2010, 18:02   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
These buses comfortably do Trivandrum-Bangalore-Trivandrum in one tankful! (thats about 700 kms one way)
Are you sure? I have done this route by volvo many times and not once did the bus not stop for refueling. Maybe you are in deep slumber when the bus stops (usually around 2-3 am). I have the habit of getting down and stretching during these fuel stops.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks