Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2014, 11:57   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: PICS: Mumbai Metro / Monorail

How many passengers travelled on a week day? This is good but seriously without the next lines anywhere near start this and the mono rail should not become an amusement park ride like disney land! Too pricey to be one.

Maddy
Old 11th June 2014, 10:39   #62
Senior - BHPian

I travelled in the Mumbai Metro from Ghatkopar to D.N. Nagar(second last stop) yesterday. I started from my office which is in Vikhroli and reached Ghatkopar station and behold what I saw amazed me. Hats off to Reliance Infrastructure and MMRDA for this marvellous project and superb management with regards to coaches, stations, convienience offered through escalators, lifts, A/C coaches, etc. Above all the travel time and the breeze with which the distance is covered is truly amazing.

Although this project was delayed by some years but still as they say in hindi, "Der aaye Durust aaye". The entire journey right from entering the metro station right till exiting at my destination was overwhelmingly awesome. I completed my journey end to end(from office to home) in 45 mins. thanks to Mumbai Metro. The way Metro employees and security personnel are managing the crowd is commendable and a welcome change. I was delighted while boarding the train and during the entire journey. It used to take me atleast 1 hour(only travel time) during non traffic hours and 1 and a half hours(only travel time) or even more during traffic hours to complete the journey, now I am able to do this in 45 mins(end to end with a mere 15 mins as travel time). I could see the delight on people's faces especially the working class people who used to regularly travel on this route and bear the brunt of traffic, broken roads, unruly rickshaws and bursting BEST buses. Truly a well deserved boon for us Mumbai'ites, Way to go Mumbai.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 11th June 2014 at 10:46. Reason: additional detailing
navin_v8 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 00:30   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post

Although this project was delayed by some years but still as they say in hindi, "Der aaye Durust aaye". The entire journey right from entering the metro station right till exiting at my destination was overwhelmingly awesome. I completed my journey end to end(from office to home) in 45 mins. thanks to Mumbai Metro. The way Metro employees and security personnel are managing the crowd is commendable and a welcome change. I was delighted while boarding the train and during the entire journey. It used to take me atleast 1 hour(only travel time) during non traffic hours and 1 and a half hours(only travel time) or even more during traffic hours to complete the journey, now I am able to do this in 45 mins(end to end with a mere 15 mins as travel time). I could see the delight on people's faces especially the working class people who used to regularly travel on this route and bear the brunt of traffic, broken roads, unruly rickshaws and bursting BEST buses. Truly a well deserved boon for us Mumbai'ites, Way to go Mumbai.
Hats off to this. Would be really interesting to see the future of this city with this kind of multimodal approach.

Maddy
Old 18th June 2014, 16:31   #64

Front emergency exit doors are absent on the new standard gauge metro coaches like violet and green lines of Delhi metro and Mumbai metro.

The following pics are self explanatory:

can some one explain where the emergency exits are provided on these new coaches?
Attached Thumbnails
PICS: Mumbai Metro / Monorail-airport_exp.jpg  

PICS: Mumbai Metro / Monorail-exit_door.jpg  

PICS: Mumbai Metro / Monorail-front.jpg  

PICS: Mumbai Metro / Monorail-green_line.jpg  

PICS: Mumbai Metro / Monorail-purple_line.jpg  

PICS: Mumbai Metro / Monorail-mumbaimetro.jpg  

gschandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 21:07   #65
Senior - BHPian

Dear Folks, here is a report about a major monorail mishap which was prevented by an alert driver which I read in today's DNA newspaper at Mumbai. A few snaps of the report are attached below.

PICS: Mumbai Metro / Monorail-photo1496.jpg

PICS: Mumbai Metro / Monorail-photo1493.jpg

PICS: Mumbai Metro / Monorail-photo1494.jpg

Thanks
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 21:57   #66
BHPian

It would have been better if metro system of all new cities had gone for aesthetically pleasing and modern third rail power supply, instead of centuries old overhead power supply.

AFAIK only Bangalore Metro has gone for this system. Note the yellow rail.
Attached Thumbnails
PICS: Mumbai Metro / Monorail-metro3_20111020.jpg  

Old 2nd July 2014, 16:20   #67
Senior - BHPian

There are other locomotives and coaches with disk brakes too.
The brake discs of the LHB coaches used in Rajdhani, Shatabdi and duranto trains http://www.railway-technical.com/Brake-Discs.jpg
The WAP-5 locomotive has two seperate bolted disks for its brakes on the side of the wheel rim itself. http://www.irfca.org/members/sujeet/wap5_bogie.jpg

Rahul
Old 2nd July 2014, 22:06   #68
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Need a shower while going to work? Mumbai Metro to the rescue during the Monsoon!

Source: https://twitter.com/news_houndz/stat...440960/photo/1
PICS: Mumbai Metro / Monorail-mettt.jpg
PPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 10:17   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Need a shower while going to work? Mumbai Metro to the rescue during the Monsoon!
Looks photo-shopped. This kind of showers should ruin the HVAC & electrical system.
Old 3rd July 2014, 10:25   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Looks photo-shopped. This kind of showers should ruin the HVAC & electrical system.
For a moment I also thought. Then I saw this video. Not sure. But if true, its really bad.

And when I googled, I see its being reported at many sites. Really sad of affairs. Its like waiting for a disaster to happen.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd July 2014 at 10:27.
Old 3rd July 2014, 10:35   #71
Senior - BHPian

It is in the news too - 'State of the art' Mumbai Metro suffers leakage due to rain in first month
Old 3rd July 2014, 13:18   #72
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
For a moment I also thought. Then I saw this video. Not sure. But if true, its really bad.

And when I googled, I see its being reported at many sites. Really sad of affairs. Its like waiting for a disaster to happen.
How is the electrical system still working and the metro working?

I thought the system should have got short. Am I missing something here?

Looking at this issue, I am wondering how the Metro that is going to be started soon in Hyderabad fare.

Anurag.
Old 3rd July 2014, 13:29   #73
Senior - BHPian

Reliance & the consortium is busy fighting the state government to increase the fares, The state government should use this experience to sue Reliance for the poor state of their infrastructure. I mean, everyone wants to make money, but should it be at the cost of poor service which in turn may lead to dangerous results for the common man?

I wonder how did so much water not cause a short circuit in the metro. It is, after all electrically operated or am I missing something?
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 15:26   #74
Senior - BHPian

SOURCE: IBNlive website

Quote:
Surprised commuters on the Mumbai Metro rail scurried for cover as water poured from an air conditioning vent into a carriage. Soon, the photos of inside a train carriage with its floor flooded and rain water still pouring from the ceiling went viral on the Internet.

The DNA newspaper quoted a Metro spokesperson as saying that "Out of 16 trains in service, one of the train's AC unit reportedly malfunctioned during heavy shower. The train has been replaced with a train that was kept stand-by to ensure no impact on services. The train shall join in for regular run from tomorrow."
Old 3rd July 2014, 16:12   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I wonder how did so much water not cause a short circuit in the metro. It is, after all electrically operated or am I missing something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
How is the electrical system still working and the metro working?

I thought the system should have got short. Am I missing something here?

Looking at this issue, I am wondering how the Metro that is going to be started soon in Hyderabad fare.

Anurag.
Quote:
From what I can gather the issue was with Air conditioning.
The water entered the fresh AIR circuit and got circulated via the ducting.

To be honest, I don't see why water ingress in the air conditioning should short the electrical circuit - unless it impinges on the compressor or blower electrical contacts (which it shouldn't because the air never leaks out, so why should water?).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks