Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2015, 12:19   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: About overloaded trucks

Bumping an old-old thread with an interesting & different perspective link.
https://sharmarobby.wordpress.com/20...my-of-india-2/

I am trying to come to terms with myself now.

Regards-Sonu
Old 1st September 2015, 12:49   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Long on words but short on facts.

1. Heavy road roller only will ensure higher load bearing capacity? Then we should just let rollers roll on mud to get cheaper roads too!

2. If only 25% extra is consumed with 100% extra load increase the loading to 400%!

3. Limit speed to even slower to increase safety. Make it mandatory to limit gears so that truck cannot overspeed beyond this.

Interesting that no where he mentions amalgamation model of rail plus road as effective model. Thank god our silent PM did not act on this.
Old 1st September 2015, 13:25   #33
Senior - BHPian

A 12M 2 Axle Bus in India has a permissible GVW of 16200 kgs un equally divided with 6000Kg on front axle and 10200 Kg on rear axle. The empty bus weighs about 12 Tons. So with 45 passengers, their baggage, and some un accompanied baggage or parcels, the weight easily reaches 20 tons. The same bus when exported with the same size tires is labelled at 19 Tons GVW with 7500 Kg front axle and 11500 Kg rear axle.
In three axle (eight tyre) buses the diversity is even worse. World wide they have a GVW of 24 tons, but here it is 19200 kg.

Coming to trucks. In India a Volvo FM12 is supposed to have a front axle load of 6 Tons, In Australia front axle load is supposed to be minimum 8 Tons, and can go upto 10 Tons depending on suspension opted for. http://www.volvotrucks.com/trucks/au...s/chassis.aspx
Rear axle load which is 10.2 Tons here varies between 11.5 to 13 Tons there. Tandem axle load is 19 Tons here, but 23 to 26 Tons there.

Corruption in road construction dictated that a 19 Ton truck was registered as a 16 Ton one. Considering that the empty truck is 6 Tons the load it could carry increased from 10 to 13 tons. As everything mechanical has a factor of safety of 100% at the least, a GVW of 38 Tons would not damage any component, though its usable life would reduce.
The actual overloading that takes place is between 50% and 100% well within the limits that the vehicle can tolerate.

There are more accidents caused because of il logical road design, blind spots in locally built cabins, locally built trailers that do not have brakes, lack of tail lights etc as compared to overloading.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 13:48   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Bumping an old-old thread with an interesting & different perspective link.
https://sharmarobby.wordpress.com/20...my-of-india-2/

I am trying to come to terms with myself now.

Regards-Sonu

Pathetic attempt at justifying overloading by a logistics and truck operator.

What next? "Mr PM, please legalize corruption and bribes. This will provide incentives for the Govt. Employees to work"
speedmiester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 13:55   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Load, temperature, undulations, impact force, speed all have bearing on allowed loading. Cargo plus fuel plus empty weight and type of body construction will determine gross weight.

That said almost all the axle trucks on highways keep the third axle for show only. Why not just keep within load limits?

"All do it so must I" is not logical answer. Yes there is economic impact, there is corruption impact...but still that is no justification. Just like unsafe product from any industry is not acceptable.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 14:41   #36
Senior - BHPian

I offer Loss Control Solutions to prime & Heavy lift movers worldwide and have had opportunity to witness and assist in few of the heaviest and most complicated cargo movements done on this planet.

Few months back, an upcoming power project company contacted me for the movement of 3 nos of their transformers, each weighing 110 tons because they were not convinced by transportation plans made by theri vendor,

When I arrived at this world famous vendor's site in Gujarat, I found all three transformers loaded on respective Low-Bed-Trailers.
The LBT RC showed the carrying capacity to be of 40 tons.
Structurally I am aware that these LBT's could carry up to 120 tons but here the Insurance company had a big say & wanted them to take proper measures for this transit. These transformers were suppose travel across the face of India to an Eastern state.
It took me three full days & had to escalate the matter all the way up to CEO level to convince them that they cannot move these heavy lift items on LBT's but must use multi-axle hydraulic trailers.

After the transformers were shifted to multi-axles, I was appraised by an over excited logistics guy that the cost of moving transformers on LBT was working out to 07 Lacs per trailer but now with multi-axles it was working out to 12.5 lacs per trailer. So they were ready to put crores of rupees of cargo at risk to save few lacs.

"Penny wise, pound foolish" is an apt statement for such people.

Regards-Sonu
ariesonu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 17:39   #37
Senior - BHPian

First of all allow registration of correct weight for trucks and trailers, and then strictly implement the rules.
A 3 Axle rigid truck is exported with a allowable GVW of 32 Tons, but sold in India with a registered GVW of only 25 Tons.
This is then overloaded to anything between 32 to 43 tons beyond which handling becomes difficult. Until the mid 80's a two axle rigid was registered for only 12 Tons GVW Now it is now 16 tons GVW, but why not the international accepted norm of 19 Tons.
Semi trailers should also be encouraged. A two Axle 16 ton rigid with 125 Bhp engine returns upto 4.5km/Lit this improves with a 25 Ton rigid (160 Hp) to about 3.5 km/Lit, while a 49 Ton gross trailer with a 10 tire tractor and 12 tire trailer returns more than 2.5 km/Lit
As of today transporters are going in for longer and longer rigids with more and more axles. Sales of 5 axle rigids with one retractable one are picking up.

Rahul
Old 2nd September 2015, 09:41   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
A 12M 2 Axle Bus in India has a permissible GVW of 16200 kgs un equally divided with 6000Kg on front axle and 10200 Kg on rear axle. The empty bus weighs about 12 Tons. So with 45 passengers, their baggage, and some un accompanied baggage or parcels, the weight easily reaches 20 tons. The same bus when exported with the same size tires is labelled at 19 Tons GVW with 7500 Kg front axle and 11500 Kg rear axle.
In three axle (eight tyre) buses the diversity is even worse. World wide they have a GVW of 24 tons, but here it is 19200 kg.Rahul
As for buses, a 12m 2-axle (for e.g. ALL 12M) bus has an unladen weight of 10 to 10.5 tons depending on body configurations. On top of it 45 passengers with luggage amounts to 4.5 to 5 tons. Permissible GVW is 16.2 (6/10.2) tons. Generally overloading in-case of long distance buses is less, more visible in short-distance buses (with start stop operations for e.g. city buses and mofussil application). For export market these buses have a permissible GVW of 18.4 (6.6/11.8) tons.

As for 3-axle buses, the unladen weight (for e.g. Volvo B11R) is about 16 tons. Permissible GVW is not 19.2 but 22.2 tons (6/10.2/6) in India. With 53 passengers these buses do make it within that limit. For export markets it is 24 tons.

Overloading for these chassis' won't be a major issue as there is always a factor of safety considered while designing. Except for the factor that there will be higher tire wear and road wear. The operators compensate the former by higher revenues (more passengers or goods), they are not concerned about the latter.
Old 2nd September 2015, 11:25   #39
BHPian

Overloading of trucks is a common practice in India and this happens in the full knowledge of the RTO officials. All the truckers 'pay' for the safe passage of their overloaded behemoths to the officials, thereby legitimising their misdeed. The overloaded trucks are like unleashed horses, which can cause accidents. Overload results in shift of center of gravity of the vehicle, thus making is unstable and hard to manouver properly. It is not uncommon to see overloaded trucks overturning and blocking the highways for hours at a stretch thereby causing inconvenience to the commuters. To make matters worse, it seems that the resultant damage to the road infrastructure due to overloading is nobody's responsibility. Any attempt to justify overloading is nothing but a ridiculous attempt by profit driven mindset of the unscrupulous transporters, who don't miss any opportunity to cock a snook at the law.
Old 8th September 2015, 14:27   #40
Senior - BHPian

A glaring example of IMPROPER loading and then its consequences.
I was called to do RECOVERY of this consignment and I still can't believe that someone did this, INTENTIONALLY.

About overloaded trucks-img20150519wa0015.jpg

About overloaded trucks-img20150519wa0012.jpg

..and the consequence.
About overloaded trucks-img20150519wa0011.jpg

Regards-Sonu
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 16:38   #41
Senior - BHPian

@ ariesonu
The loading surely is improper, a 40 foot flat trailer meant for containers was needed here, not the stepped type seen in actual use.
But this sinking in mud is totally due to the driver mis judging and driving over the soft mud, even a properly clamped load would have gone down with the trailer.

Rahul
Old 24th May 2018, 20:01   #42
Senior - BHPian

Some photographs of overloaded tractor spotted at Rohtak.

About overloaded trucks-20180512_123157.jpg

About overloaded trucks-20180512_123154.jpg
SJM1214 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th November 2018, 11:38   #43
Senior - BHPian

Transporting waste, construction materials in open trucks made an offence under Motor Vehicle law.

Quote:
Tightening the noose around the menace of transporting construction materials, municipal waste and any other loose items in open trucks, the government has made this an offence under the motor vehicles law. The new norm, which has come into effect from, will strengthen the enforcement of guidelines notified by the environment ministry earlier this year to mitigate construction and demolition dust.

News Source.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed