Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2010, 11:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Procedure for converting commercial vehicles to private vehicles

Mods: I couldn't find a thread that details this, so I thought of starting a new one. Please merge with an existing one if there's one.

I haven't been able to find the exact procedure for converting a commercial vehicle (Tourist registration) to a private vehicle. From whatever bits I have been able to gather, you have to apply to the RTO of registration to cancel the Tourist tag, pay a one time tax (as in case of new private vehicles) and get the vehicle converted to a private vehicle. The whole process could take around two months.

Can someone confirm this? Also can someone with sources in the RTO find out more and post the details about the same?
Old 12th September 2010, 11:57   #2
BHPian

can we convert all commercial vehicles to private? i have water tanker which is used for our own use . had approached agents for changing into private.but they declined saying commercial vehicles like lorry, bus ... cannot be made private
Old 12th September 2010, 12:01   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

You cannot convert all commercial vehicles to private use. You can convert only those vehicles that can be converted.

Eg: You can convert an Indica / any other car / SUV to pvt use. But you will not be able to convert a truck to pvt use.

There are some exceptions, though : A mini-bus is typically a comm vehicle. But it can be registered so if it will house a generator. (like those used by hotels or film shooting units). I have also seen goods vehicles (like single-cab Mahindra Pik-up's with pvt registration), but again restrictions are there.

@Honeybee, what vehicle do you want to convert ?
Old 12th September 2010, 14:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
You cannot convert all commercial vehicles to private use. You can convert only those vehicles that can be converted.

Eg: You can convert an Indica / any other car / SUV to pvt use. But you will not be able to convert a truck to pvt use.

There are some exceptions, though : A mini-bus is typically a comm vehicle. But it can be registered so if it will house a generator. (like those used by hotels or film shooting units). I have also seen goods vehicles (like single-cab Mahindra Pik-up's with pvt registration), but again restrictions are there.

The rules also vary from state to state for eg. IIRC, in KA you cannot convert a taxi car to a private board due to road tax differences and difficult workings.
Old 12th September 2010, 14:42   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Dadu, it is possible in KA also. I am not able to find the relevant sections /rule online. But one ref here : an audit report. Reference is on page 3 of the 6 pages

http://www.cag.gov.in/html/cag_repor.../rev_chap3.pdf
Old 12th September 2010, 15:37   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
The rules also vary from state to state for eg. IIRC, in KA you cannot convert a taxi car to a private board due to road tax differences and difficult workings.
however in kerala, we do it regularly. most of the old private ambassador cars were taxis .
Old 18th September 2010, 01:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LOL rest assured it will be a four wheeler, not an eighteen wheeler!
Old 18th September 2010, 06:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

This provokes me to ask a question here. So far I've seen only one lorry in white board; means, its for a private use. The lorry carries a big ELGI machine that is used for drilling rigs at home. So what does that indicate? The lorry is not used for commercial pupose? So why do they carry an ELGI machine around & make money out of it? I'm little confused. Any help in understanding is appreciated.
Old 18th September 2010, 07:07   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
honeybee : LOL rest assured it will be a four wheeler, not an eighteen wheeler!
uh Oh ! Looks like I'm trying to break into your secret ! Will look away

Quote:
aargee : The lorry carries a big ELGI machine that is used for drilling rigs at home.
Was it the drill rig, or the support vehicle.
(Will keep an eye out for such vehicles -I have always seen these to be yellow-boards).
Old 18th September 2010, 07:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was it the drill rig, or the support vehicle.
(Will keep an eye out for such vehicles -I have always seen these to be yellow-boards).
Ok, to put in much simple words, the ELGI machine is used for drilling bore well at homes. So this lorry used to roam around with this heft machine. Typically, this is the only lorry that I've seen with a private board till date. Is this even permitted first of all? Reason being, they aren't servicing homes to rig well & they make business out of it, so shouldn't the lorry come under yellow board?
Old 18th September 2010, 10:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Ok, to put in much simple words, the ELGI machine is used for drilling bore well at homes. So this lorry used to roam around with this heft machine. Typically, this is the only lorry that I've seen with a private board till date. Is this even permitted first of all? Reason being, they aren't servicing homes to rig well & they make business out of it, so shouldn't the lorry come under yellow board?
How old is this lorry? If it's from a pre-historic lot, there is a chance it carries a private board when separate colour schemes for commercial vehicles had not been introduced, and the cops are just too lazy to catch this one?
Old 18th September 2010, 11:06   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

@aargee, it could be that the drilling machine is on hire. Not the truck itself. The Truck is incidental - it only carries the drilling rig.

@Honeybee, even if pre-historic, the number plate schemes have been changed. If the truck was very old one, it would also have had to go thru re-registration / FC processes which would have taken care of the licence plate color scheme
Old 21st September 2010, 11:07   #13
BHPian

it is not the only one.i have seen many lorries carrying borewell machine with private boards.there are many recovery vans (lorries) with white nameplates

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Old 22nd September 2010, 09:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
How old is this lorry? If it's from a pre-historic lot, there is a chance it carries a private board when separate colour schemes for commercial vehicles had not been introduced, and the cops are just too lazy to catch this one?
I saw an ATM cash refilling van the other day which carried private number plates. I guess we shall have to re-examine the definition of a commercial vehicle in the MVA.
Old 22nd May 2014, 00:44   #15
BHPian

Re: Procedure for converting commercial vehicles to private vehicles

Bumping an old thread here. Was curious, can an old used bus be converted to pvt registration? Its an idea(mostly fantasy) stuck in my head to buy a used bus rip out the seats and put beds,Ac and a tv in,convert the suspension to air springs and use it to do road trips with friends. Is it possible?

I remember reading somewhere that Sanjay Dutt had a full sized personal bus for traveling made by DC for him. Not sure if it had yellow plates.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks