Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2010, 16:46   #91
Senior - BHPian

When I checked BEML site, I found this interesting story about "Stallion-type" trucks being made by BEML in collaboration with Kamaz Vectra of Russia.

http://www.bemlindia.com/documents/N...s/26022010.pdf

And the following article also talks of the BEML product as being a competitor for the AL Stallion:
http://www.revisioneyewear.com/uploa...ch_23_2005.pdf
Old 4th June 2010, 16:58   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Just one more info , BEML Campus is visible from my office building and they have a batch of new Stallion trucks ( more then 50 as of today) standing in yard. The daily production adds to the numbers in this yard and one fine day when yard is full all of them suddenly disappear

BEML manufactures railway coach and Tetra trucks but I have seen many times batches of Stallions also don't know what is the deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
When I checked BEML site, I found this interesting story about "Stallion-type" trucks being made by BEML in collaboration with Kamaz Vectra of Russia.

http://www.bemlindia.com/documents/N...s/26022010.pdf

And the following article also talks of the BEML product as being a competitor for the AL Stallion:
http://www.revisioneyewear.com/uploa...ch_23_2005.pdf
Ya I also found similar links , will try to look closely if the label is Stallion or not though It is impossible to see from the distance.

Any way for earlier batches I am pretty sure that I saw Stallion written on some of the truck exiting BEML gate. There are some bloated rounded metallic superstructure kind of things lying around in ground which are fitted on trucks , so may be they just come for fixing them.
Old 6th June 2010, 12:27   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... so may be they just come for fixing them.
Yes. Stallions are not produced by BEML and are produced only from Hosur plant of AshokLeyland. They are further moved to BEML for other aggregate fitments.
Old 6th June 2010, 15:28   #94
BHPian

AL - an experience

I write from personal experience. We were donated a AL Cargo ( IVECO) 709 Cabin and chassis in Dec 2005. We built a special mobile clinic with a highly specialized internal suspension to carry some very expensive medical equipment. The vehicle runs 25 days a month on a circular route using NH, state highways, ghat roads, mining areas ( no roads ) and village roads covering close to 4500 kms.
The vehicle has been performing brilliantly since Feb2006, 52 months and going strong.
The odo had some 21000 km on delivery as it was some test/demo vehicle. It has been serviced only by Sundaram Motors at Bangalore. Recently did a engine overhaul costing about 42k including spares @ 250,000 km.
apart from this there have been tyre changes, oil changes and air filter cleaning at regular intervals.
We were apprehensive over cost of repairs and spares, but happily over the last 4 years its been a dream run.
Though I personally have driven the vehicle for short ( 5 - 10 km) distances, the vehicle feels planted and sure.

Our additional vehicle now is a Eicher Cruiser bus pre built 42 seater. If I had a choice I would go AL way every time.
Old 7th June 2010, 12:22   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrao View Post
Our additional vehicle now is a Eicher Cruiser bus pre built 42 seater. If I had a choice I would go AL way every time.
You mean you aren't very happy with the Eicher?
Old 8th June 2010, 11:59   #96
BANNED

Truck ki Kahani, driver ki zubaani...

Had an interesting discussion with a long distance trucker (Gonda-Bangalore) last night.
He was of the opinion that people buy Tata owing to its better mileage and lower cost of spares compared to AL. He was driving a 2515C costing 21 lacs OTR Rewa.

Other details that could be interesting:
Mileage: 4 kmpl (Drivers say 3.5 to make some money)
Kilometers clocked: 1.1 lac in 18 months
Issues: None since no overloading is permitted by his owner. Only 16 tons plus 9 tons tare.
Tires: Radial. A pair cost 32k.
Tank capacity: 360 litres.
Rate: 45000INR from Gonda to Bangalore (2500km one way).

PS: The truck was exceedingly well maintained with no dents, cuts, increased leaves in the springs etc. He also told me that this vehicle would be sold by the owner for a new one in the next 18 more months and would fetch around 12 lacs then.
Old 8th June 2010, 12:15   #97
Senior - BHPian

Did any one here spotted those Tata World truck on Indian roads till date ? Or we are still smaller truck market ?
The new Tata Truck range on Biglorryblog. The Indians are building some smart trucks reckons BLB! - Biglorryblog
Old 8th June 2010, 14:11   #98
BHPian

One thing I've personally noticed is that Tata CVs tend to have better ergonomics than the counterpart AL CVs. For ex: In a AL bus, you see the driver sitting slightly offline from the steering, in contrast to one in a Tata bus who sits like we normally do. (Check picture of the Aishwarya travels (Raj_5004's ?) bus)
Old 8th June 2010, 22:16   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did any one here spotted those Tata World truck on Indian roads till date ? Or we are still smaller truck market ?
According to some reports i read, they do sell World truck in India, but not available off the shelf (need to be pre-ordered). Some of the big trucking companies in India ordered these trucks in large numbers, due to capacity constraints, the waiting period is quite high right now. Since these are expensive, TM is not expecting these to be baught by small operators (that owns 1/2 trucks).
Old 9th June 2010, 08:06   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
One thing I've personally noticed is that Tata CVs tend to have better ergonomics than the counterpart AL CVs. For ex: In a AL bus, you see the driver sitting slightly offline from the steering, in contrast to one in a Tata bus who sits like we normally do.
Personally, I've always felt the other way. The steering used to be much off-set earlier. Its better these days. From what I see daily on KeSRTC buses, the Leyland steering being higher, lets the drivers have a much more comfortable seating position.

In case of TATAs' tall drivers have their thighs rubbing with the steering when their try raising the seat. Some time back, we had images in on T-BHP showing ergonomics of seating TATA v/s Leyland. Not sure which thread are those posts now in.
Old 9th June 2010, 08:14   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
binaiks : In case of TATAs' tall drivers have their thighs rubbing with the steering when their try raising the seat.
The seats are adjustable for height. Not the motorized type like we see on cars, but a purely mechanical setup.

Also, it is not about tall / short as much as about the driver's build - slim or stocky.
Old 9th June 2010, 10:07   #102
BANNED

Moreover, most HCV seats are made by the body builder/coach builder and are hence not a constraint to making it comfortable.
Old 9th June 2010, 10:37   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Moreover, most HCV seats are made by the body builder/coach builder and are hence not a constraint to making it comfortable.
AFAIK, the coach builders do not touch the driver's seat, it is the one which comes with the manufacturer.
Old 9th June 2010, 15:07   #104
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
AFAIK, the coach builders do not touch the driver's seat, it is the one which comes with the manufacturer.
In south India, sometimes drivers use the seats from manufacturers from what I have seen. Go up north and you will see most seats built according to the driver/owner's requirements, be it buses or trucks.

I wonder how drivers live with the netted seats that AL offers and those horrible black belted seats that TATA offers on most of its vanilla chassis configurations.
Old 10th June 2010, 18:35   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
One thing I've personally noticed is that Tata CVs tend to have better ergonomics than the counterpart AL CVs...
I too felt its the other way around. Just check the steering wheel of AL FES and Tata's. It will be easily evidenced.
Even I spoke to several drivers here in MTC and it was endorsed by them.

Most Viewed