Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2010, 22:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ford Trucks in India

I recalled seeing a Truck with a ford badge when I was in school. Thought it was some enthusiastic driver who put a scrap ford badge on his old truck. But my Dad told me that Ford really did make trucks once upon a time. And their trucks were so good that the rest of the big players played a bit dirty, and crushed them in a sort of oligopolistic way. I thought that this was one of dad's stories, but I heard pretty much the same from another friend of mine whose family owned a ford truck. He swore by it, and said that it was a pity that it had to be shut down by unfair competition.

Can someone give some background on this ?
Old 31st May 2010, 22:32   #2
Team-BHP Support

Simpson's, part of the TAFE group did assemble ford trucks in the early 1980's. These came from Austrailia. These were the earlier version of the Ashok Leyland IVECO cargo. (That was a ford design which was given to IVECO when ford and Fiat merged their truck operations and spun it off and that entitiy bought into Ashok Leyland).

These trucks were stunning by Indian standards - a proper cabin, nice seats. Seat were so nice that a friend of mine who bought one deemed it too good for his driver and took it out and put into his standard 20 van. The standard metal + plastic wicker seat went in.

The trucks did not sell well since the axles could not take overloading. One could see many o nthe highway with sheared axles.
Old 1st June 2010, 01:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

any images of the said trucks.? this is news to me.
Old 1st June 2010, 11:29   #4
BHPian

These are the some pics of old FORD Trucks:
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Trucks in India-dsc03556_egy_pakwheelscom.jpg  

Ford Trucks in India-oldpickuptruck.jpg  

Old 1st June 2010, 13:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

The last one is a chevrolet and not a ford.

Is the first image is from India, as i have never seen these.
Old 1st June 2010, 15:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

I regularly see a ford truck near my place. Does the chores of ferrying rice/wheat flour to the supermarket and other small time shops. Lemme see if I can get a picture of that old junkie sometime soon. Meanwhile here is one from this thread. Posted by trammway.

Ford Trucks in India-ford.jpg
Old 1st June 2010, 18:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

The one i saw was newer.

looked more like the one posted by mandalaybay here
Old 1st June 2010, 18:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Greenie, i used to see a BEDFORD truck plying in Trivandrum till a few years back. It looks similar to the photo Riju posted above. I'm not sure but i think Bedford had some association with HM.
Old 2nd June 2010, 18:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

The Ford trucks sold in India by Simpsons in early 1980s came with the same cab as visible in the picture in post no. 7.

These Indian Ford trucks were designated as 1210, Tata style, but simply couldn't replicate the success of Tata or AL. The trucks were fitted with Perkins P6 engine that Simpsons built in India. A friend of mine had the Indian Ford truck at his farm. He had told me that the truck cab was fully tiltable and was made of fibre-reinforced-plastic. IIRC, the cabs came in red colour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
These came from Austrailia.
The cabs probably did. The engine was Perkins P6 licence-built in India by Simpsons.

Quote:
These were the earlier version of the Ashok Leyland IVECO cargo. (That was a ford design which was given to IVECO when ford and Fiat merged their truck operations and spun it off and that entitiy bought into Ashok Leyland).
But the cab of the IVECO truck that AL made resembled earlier-gen FIAT trucks more, compared to the cab seen on Ford trucks in India.

Quote:
The trucks did not sell well since the axles could not take overloading. One could see many o nthe highway with sheared axles.
That's where AL and Tata have always excelled. Even the earlier Dodge and Bedford licence-built by PAL and HM met the same fate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I'm not sure but i think Bedford had some association with HM.
Yes, they had. After the expiry of the collaboration, Bedford trucks were sold by HM under the HINDUSTAN trade mark.

Last edited by directinjection : 2nd June 2010 at 18:56.
Old 3rd June 2010, 14:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I regularly see a ford truck near my place. Does the chores of ferrying rice/wheat flour to the supermarket and other small time shops. Lemme see if I can get a picture of that old junkie sometime soon. Meanwhile here is one from this thread. Posted by trammway.

Attachment 359790
Thats not a ford but a Bedford. Bedford has a completely different history, and was actually owned by Ford's competitor GM.
Old 3rd June 2010, 16:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

I've been spotting dodge/bedford/fargo trucks from kintergarden It's the ford truck that piqued my curiosity. Thanks ajmat & directinjection
Old 3rd June 2010, 16:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

This one still doing rounds in Coonoor. Sorry about the pictures. Best I could get.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Trucks in India-image0049.jpg  

Ford Trucks in India-image0050.jpg  

Old 4th June 2010, 09:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately I do not have any pictures, but there were I think, at last count, 3 such trucks, pressed into Mortuary Service at Kanpur. If anyone is around from Kanpur, they might be able to click a few pics, in front of LLR hospital, where they are usually parked.
Old 9th August 2014, 20:50   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford Trucks in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Thats not a ford but a Bedford. Bedford has a completely different history, and was actually owned by Ford's competitor GM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post

Attachment 359790
In fact, this could be a Ford F Series truck of the early 1950's. The bonnet of the Bedford as you will notice, tapers much more than the Ford F Series, towards the grille. The Bedford front bumper is rounded and convex. Whereas, the Ford bumper is is straight and has angularities.

Believe more clicks of the truck by rjstyles69 , especially the images of its wheel discs and the rear differential (a very reliable identification tool, unless swapped) will help in better establishing its identity.

The fact was pointed out to me by my FB friend Mr Abhishek Kushte, who owns a Bedford truck in running condition and whose family has been owning Bedfords since ages.

The truck seen on the picture posted by rjstyles69, appears to have been modified with some local touches and ingenuity.

Ford Trucks in India-1951fordpickup2.jpg

Ford Trucks in India-ford52f100pued1.jpg

Ford Trucks in India-ford-f100.jpeg

Ford Trucks in India-ford-f-100.jpg

Ford Trucks in India-ford-f-250.jpeg

Ford Trucks in India-fordtrucks18.jpg

Ford Trucks in India-bedford-4.jpg

Ford Trucks in India-bedford-9.jpg

(source google images)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM007 View Post
These are the some pics of old FORD Trucks:
The other one is a Chevrolet bus from Nagpur. This picture was posted by me. It regularly appears in the V & C rallies in Nagpur and is powered by the original 6 cylinder in line petrol engine.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 9th August 2014 at 21:03.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 15:44   #15
Zed
BHPian

Re: Ford Trucks in India

Ford still continues to make commercial trucks as part of their JV in Turkey. These trucks are sold in Turkey, some east European Markets and South America. Here is the image of a Euro 6 truck - that will also (potentially) be sold in a couple of 'emerging markets' in the not too distant future
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Trucks in India-cargo.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks