Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2011, 20:38   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop - Tata Rival For Mahindra Axe - Autocar India!!!!!

that transfer case looks is so vulnerable.

AXE is overpriced i am wondering why TATA is not bringing Defender. I am sure tooling of old defender is almost in its end of life in UK factory when they are planning to bring in new defender next year.
Old 29th March 2012, 20:25   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
GUYS, HERE'S THE SCOOP ABOUT THE NEW TATA DEFENCE VEHICLE - REPORT COURTESY- AUTOCAR INDIA.
Just by looks it stands nowhere to the Axe, looks more like the vehicle designed and executed in a Death Race kind of a workshop
Old 29th March 2012, 23:56   #78
Senior - BHPian

I read in Autocar India / Overdrive Magazine that this costs 1 crore rupees.

Do you feel Audi A8 Bulletproof for 1.2 crores is worth the money than a Tata at 1 crore?

I mean just imagine the difference in treatment for a VIP between getting down from this TATA vehicle and an Audi A8 Bulletproof
Old 30th March 2012, 00:13   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post

Do you feel Audi A8 Bulletproof for 1.2 crores is worth the money than a Tata at 1 crore?

I mean just imagine the difference in treatment for a VIP between getting down from this TATA vehicle and an Audi A8 Bulletproof
The vehicle in question is not meant to carry VIPs. It may however be employed to securely carry his security detail...in any terrain and under any weather conditions ( or at least in much harder terrain and weather conditions that an Audi can live upto!).
neel385 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 10:00   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post

What? VIPs in India aka politicans are butt ugly. Most look like pictures from any police station's rogue's gallery. Giving a beautiful vehicle for a VIP is like applying lipstick to a Pig. A total waste of time and money! Most of the 'VIP' in political hoardings in Mumbai look like they belong to the ganster pics from the movie Satya or GOW
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2013, 23:57   #81
Senior - BHPian

TATA LSV for Indian Army

Dear BD Sir,

Please provide any update on the vehicles in the attached photos.

Is the project still on, or has been scrapped?

Please shed some light on the specifications of these vehicles.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop - Tata Rival For Mahindra Axe - Autocar India!!!!!-19bo29r.jpg  

Scoop - Tata Rival For Mahindra Axe - Autocar India!!!!!-ctplura.jpg  

Scoop - Tata Rival For Mahindra Axe - Autocar India!!!!!-fuydrlr.jpg  

Scoop - Tata Rival For Mahindra Axe - Autocar India!!!!!-j3aqxnl.jpg  

Scoop - Tata Rival For Mahindra Axe - Autocar India!!!!!-k3s4.jpg  

Scoop - Tata Rival For Mahindra Axe - Autocar India!!!!!-tpalupz.jpg  

Scoop - Tata Rival For Mahindra Axe - Autocar India!!!!!-yqad82h.jpg  

Parm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2013, 12:11   #82
Senior - BHPian

Re: TATA LSV for Indian Army

This looks like a 1960s military breadbox. Some 3rd standard kids cardboard car project stolen and made as a concept for the military.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 23:14   #83
Senior - BHPian

Re: TATA LSV for Indian Army

I hope BD sir confirms that the above are buried for good. Even for the Army the vehicles are ugly and seemingly have a lot of weight issues, which would bog down the vehicle in an unforgiving terrain. Apart from the high GC, cannot seem to find any other positive.
Old 31st December 2013, 11:12   #84
Senior - BHPian

The vehicle looks completely mis-proportioned.

Top heavy and the rear certainly looks like a Jugaad!!

This wont fly for Heaven's Sake...
Old 2nd January 2014, 09:48   #85
Senior - BHPian

All our 'budding' Dilip Chabrias commenting on the aesthetics of an army prototype.
Someone calling it a cardboard kit car, someone saying the 'look and feel' is disproportionate. I suggest we all research on the requirements for an army transport before we comment, AFAIK look and feel and aesthetics are the last in the army's mind when searching for combat vehicles.
Defense vehicle requirements are catered to, by a special division within automakers and regular employees will not have much information regarding the development cycle, the requirement specs etc.
The most famous military spinoff the Hummer, looks as ugly as a pig, I am sure the US army didn't ask for a gorgeous super car shape in their req spec.
apachelongbow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 11:41   #86
BHPian

Totally agree with Apachelongbow. You dont want an Army Vehicle to look "good".
Old 2nd January 2014, 12:32   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by performance plumbing View Post
Totally agree with Apachelongbow. You dont want an Army Vehicle to look "good".
I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not, in case you are, I am not at fault here if you don't get function over form, enough said!!!
Old 3rd January 2014, 14:53   #88
BHPian

A boxy design is actually preferred by the Army with as less 'plastic' as possible. It is easier to up armor such a vehicle (lot cheaper) as the flat panels just need a flat armor sheet welded atop it.
What matters is entry/ exit angles, GC, Fordability, ground pressure, torque/weight, gradability.
This vehicle will after a point do multiple roles (including/not limited to) towing, water bowser, RCL gun mount, etc.
Very importantly in Indian conditions which are considered extremely difficult- Temperature ranges of -55 to + 55 degrees, Hot/Humid/Dry environment, Ability to work at 4000-5000 Ft ASL with minimal changes to the machine, ability to travel through mudflats (Rann of Kutch), Mountain Terrain (North East), Deserts (Rajasthan), with equal ease.
It should also be able to overcome DCB defences in the Punjab sector while being able to overcome the typical slushy mud in the farms as well (where famously the Pak Army had become bogged down during the war - IIRC Khem Karan Axis)
In addition, the LSV is also expected to be 'air transportable' by our Medium Lift Mi17 fleet and in some cases Underslung below the Dhruv Fleet as well.
It is not about looks - it is about ability to be easily converted into something else - on the field by a field regiment mechanic.
The Engine has to be field serviceable and run on multiple fuels without breaking a sweat.
Just a case in point - the gold plated M1A1 Abrams was a pain during the 1st Gulf War due to a heavy logistic requirement as it is run on a gas turbine (Aircraft engine), in many cases it almost failed due to ingestion of fine sand - after which they added 'skirts' to the tanks as an interim measure - this was also the case with the HMMWV which had issues traversing the desert sands till they used lower pressure wheels and also an improved tyre design (borrowed from a friendly country) (most forward duties were performed by different vehicles - including the venerable Bradley - a 1960 vehicle!)

The Stallion (the most common AL Army vehicle you see) is actually a Panhard design and developed machine. At least the Tata's tend to be original! - somewhat

Last edited by torquecurve : 3rd January 2014 at 15:01.
torquecurve is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 19:16   #89
Senior - BHPian

The contenders for the LSV for the Indian Army.

Tata, MM, Ashok Leyland, Vectra and OFB
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop - Tata Rival For Mahindra Axe - Autocar India!!!!!-2fj5clg.jpg  

Scoop - Tata Rival For Mahindra Axe - Autocar India!!!!!-3p3iksz.jpg  

Scoop - Tata Rival For Mahindra Axe - Autocar India!!!!!-img2071gwagon2bo.jpg  

Scoop - Tata Rival For Mahindra Axe - Autocar India!!!!!-mck1b9j.gif  

Scoop - Tata Rival For Mahindra Axe - Autocar India!!!!!-opoh6.jpg  

Scoop - Tata Rival For Mahindra Axe - Autocar India!!!!!-qas8rbr.jpg  

Parm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 19:18   #90
Senior - BHPian

All said.. form and functionality does not mean just being capable to traverse all kinds of terrain and adverse conditions. As long as humans are driving it, human ergonomics can be incorporated into the overall plan too. Agreed that the military drivers and folks are trained to endure hardship.
But in a hostile situation when stress runs high and terrain and conditions are hostile too, whats the harm in having a good comfortable seat for the occupants rather than have them bounce around and stress their backs well before they reach their targeted assignment. Forgive me to think that military guys are human.

Tough does not have to mean heavy and fugly. Tough can mean light, functional and durable too. But if this dabba is what our army specifications are, then God bless them. No further comments from me.

Most Viewed