Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2010, 13:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I have seen many LPT3118s on the highways. But do the competition have this lift axle mechanism? I doubt. Because all the AL 8x4s and Eicher 8x4s I've seen have the second axle fitted just behind the front axle, is steerable, and remain planted on the road all the time.
I am also confused, whether the steerable axle's have advantage over the ones used by TATA. IMHO, the unsteerables are only used by TATA. All others like Leyland uses steerable front axles.
Old 5th July 2010, 17:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I am also confused, whether the steerable axle's have advantage over the ones used by TATA. IMHO, the unsteerables are only used by TATA. All others like Leyland uses steerable front axles.
Steerable axle
+ Steerable - driver can drive without bothering about the tyres grazing the asphalt
+ Even distribution of load on front and back (My hypothesis - could be wrong)
- Cannot be lifted (as in AL3116 et al)
- Consequently more wear and tear for the tyres when going unloaded

Lift axle
+ Minimize wear and tear by lifting it when unloaded
+ Need to be engaged only when hauling heavy loads, can be lifted up when used for normal 6x2 or 6x4 loads
- Steering - as pointed out by SirAlec - can be cumbersome while reversing
- Extra maintenance for the lift mechanism (Just a thought, no facts to prove)
Old 5th July 2010, 18:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have seen many LPT3118s on the highways. But do the competition have this lift axle mechanism? I doubt.
Competitors do not have this option.
Old 5th July 2010, 18:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

No test drive??

Interesting thread.
Old 5th July 2010, 18:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
4. Its a 8x2 configuration vehicle, with second axle being "lift axle". Its working under normal condition is purely controlled by electro-pneumatic system, which automatically lowers the axle when the load is above 19Ton.
Are you sure about cut off load in 19T. I thought it is 25T as till 25T the two rear axles can support and after that you require additional axle.
Old 5th July 2010, 22:05   #21
BANNED

This is strange !!

I have seen lorries with 4 front wheels aka 2 axles.the second axle turns along with the primary one.

But this is the first time am see the turnable axle along with rear axle.but what is the advantage/use of having the turning wheels when the other 8 wheels are not gonna turn ??
Old 6th July 2010, 00:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
No test drive??

Interesting thread.
i certainly would have., both the truck were not operational at that time.

maybe next time.

^^^

there are 25 tons vehicle with two rear axle (one trailing and one powered) TATA 2513.

Last edited by SirAlec : 6th July 2010 at 00:23.
Old 6th July 2010, 10:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

Very informative thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Thanks again, for all the info., SirAlec!

I guess this model comes with headlamps slotted into the bumpers as standard, and the owners fit additional ones into the grille later on?
No, those are the ones that have a steerable 2nd axle. And the 2nd axle is much nearer to the front axle thereby giving them a shorter turning radius.
Old 10th October 2010, 18:44   #24
BANNED

Quote:
@ Transsenger
That was quite some info for me.

I have seen many LPT3118s on the highways. But do the competition have this lift axle mechanism? I doubt. Because all the AL 8x4s and Eicher 8x4s I've seen have the second axle fitted just behind the front axle, is steerable, and remain planted on the road all the time.
From my experience Lift axle is failure in LPT3118, meanwhile in AL it is non liftable and is steerable and adds more reliability + ease in servicing + usability + stability.

Also 8X2 configuration is waste of engine power and vehicle is worst performing when managing inclined roads [ghats] atleast 8X4 is needed. Same is the case with 6X2 vs 6X4 configs.
Old 11th October 2010, 07:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

What do you mean by Lift Axle in 3118c is a failure?

It is one of the best selling models in the Tata Range now, it is becoming more easy to spot everyday, while I have rarely spotted 8x4s of any other manufacturer
Old 11th October 2010, 11:19   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
What do you mean by Lift Axle in 3118c is a failure?

It is one of the best selling models in the Tata Range now, it is becoming more easy to spot everyday, while I have rarely spotted 8x4s of any other manufacturer
Tata doesn't offer 8X4, only 8X2. Whereas AMW/AL have some models which offer 8X4.

Regarding the lift axle, we have 2 of lpt3118c here in our depot and the air suspension is one heck of problem for the truck and you can't reverse the loaded truck with it, you have to lift the axle to reverse it, also while steering with third axle engaged it poses difficulty in managing sharp curves, no such thing happens in AL chassis where the third axle is steerable and add to stablility.

I have driven both of them and AL scores well. The air suspension bellows[air jacket] are prone to damage often and associated lift electricals are another shoddy state work done by TATA.

While steering AL 3135 8X4, it manages tight curves so well because of both front axle wheels are steerable.
Old 11th October 2010, 12:28   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King View Post
Regarding the lift axle, we have 2 of lpt3118c here in our depot and the air suspension is one heck of problem for the truck and you can't reverse the loaded truck with it, you have to lift the axle to reverse it,
A noob question! Why do we have to lift the axle to reverse it? Does it increase tyre wear?
Old 11th October 2010, 16:52   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
A noob question! Why do we have to lift the axle to reverse it? Does it increase tyre wear?
Not tyre wear.
I tried it and the vehicle started showing 2 strange behavior.
1. It was not steering rather than, it was pushing the vehicle in sliding motion to one side.
2. The active middle axle was [8X2] skidding the wheels and the vehicle was unable to govern itself along steered course of action. This situation is worst in its kind in 8X2 configs where you have only one active axle and other 2 trailing axles which do nothing except sharing the weight., a huge loss of traction is seen in 8X2.

In multi axle vehicles[MAV], this problem is solved by putting alteast 2 steerable axles at front so that the steerability remains functional.
Old 11th October 2010, 17:53   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tata doesn't offer 8X4, only 8X2. Whereas AMW/AL have some models which offer 8X4.
No 8X4's offer in AL/AMW. only 8X2's are in offer - AL : 3116,3121.

AMW - 3118

Quote:
While steering AL 3135 8X4, it manages tight curves so well because of both front axle wheels are steerable.
Not heard of AL 3135 before - correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by Ashley2 : 11th October 2010 at 17:55.
Old 11th October 2010, 21:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

@The King,

I dont think that the turning circle of the 3118 is any worse than the 2516 model.

Also as far as I know the latest 3118c models do come with a sensor which causes the lift axle to automatically lift whenever reverse gear is engaged.

How old are your 3118s??, as a lot of improvements have been made between the launch and the version on sale today.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks