Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2010, 16:26   #1
BHPian

Tempo (Force) Traveller drivability

Folks,
I was on the lookout for buying a traveller luxury being offered by Force Motors but would like to know whether it would be smooth and quite enough for long drives (from the driver point of view) since i intend to drive it myself. Till date the only ones that i have seen are those used as commercial people carrier or taxis. Is it really a good idea to switch over since my existing car is the maruti versa? Comments..views..ideas..and anyone who has been driving one would he/she please share their experience...

atul
Old 17th July 2010, 18:51   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi Atul, I believe the 9 seater SWB Traveller that non taxi market used to sell is no longer available. I think you now get only the 14 seater version which I am not sure if you can register as a private vehicle. Also the OM616 engine is no longer offered. It currently comes with a Turbo DI engine which barely makes enough power in a Gurkha let alone in the Traveller. Your best bet is to take a drive yourself and see if it is your cup of tea.

Just a word of warning, when you are driving near any IT park, keep your doors locked and windows up else before you know a bunch of techies would have piled in to your car and then you will have to drop them all home...
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2010, 12:30   #3
BHPian

test drive

thanks 4x4. a test drive is what i had in mind but the last time i was at the showroom they had only their traveller delivery truck, the shaktiman and i drove that. but the gearing was too short, the engine very restrictive and not at all free revving and the NVH levels were huge. may be the traveller luxury is slightly better. may take its test drive some day soon. I know the OM616 is no longer their but if you look at the literature which is distributed at the showroom- they claim that its a merc design engine or something. maybe what the traveller needs is a 120bhp engine and 300Nm torque low down in the revs.
Old 18th July 2010, 13:21   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@Atul:

The short gearing is an issue with the current Traveller as well. The current engine range is not in anyway related to the OM616. You can see the difference right from the engine block. It is a low revving Turbo DI engine that makes 75bhp/180 NM torque. max rpm is only in the 3000 rpm range. The power is too less for the size of the vehicle hence the very short gearing.
Old 19th July 2010, 09:23   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Atul,

Take a look at Vid's Tempo Traveller test-drive thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUL SINGH View Post
I was on the lookout for buying a traveller luxury being offered by Force Motors but would like to know whether it would be smooth and quite enough for long drives (from the driver point of view) since i intend to drive it myself.
On your ownership thread, you mentioned replacing the Versa with a traveller? DON'T! A tempo traveller is hardly a daily-drive vehicle. Build one for a specific purpose, and use primarily on weekends / holidays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Just a word of warning, when you are driving near any IT park, keep your doors locked and windows up else before you know a bunch of techies would have piled in to your car and then you will have to drop them all home...
Old 19th July 2010, 12:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Why dont you opt for a Tata Winger instead, i think it will suit your requirements better.
Old 19th July 2010, 13:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

Haha ..haha

I dont think you could compare the Versa and the TT ..I had a chance of seeing the interiors of a new TT and I was shocked at the fit and finish of the panels and the switches.
Also ,the steering position was looking a bit awkward.

Is there any particular reason that you are looking at TT ?If 6-7 people is what you would be travelling with ...it would be worthwhile looking at the Innova as well
Old 19th July 2010, 13:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

TT as a personal daily drive vehicle would have made sense with the OM 616 engine maybe as it was being touted as one about 5 years back or so if I remember correctly. That one would ahve even made a good option as a recreational/ expeditionary vehicle as well. The present TT is nothing but a people carrier as you will find it hard to register it as a private vehicle. Why dont you ask the force guys if the non taxi version is still available on order or not? That might be the vehicle you want. If they dont look at the TATA winger or venture.
Old 19th July 2010, 14:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUL SINGH View Post
... maybe what the traveller needs is a 120bhp engine and 300Nm torque low down in the revs.
The TT was being tested with the OM 611CRDi engine. If it does come out with that engine, I guess it will have more-than-sufficient power/torque.
Old 19th July 2010, 17:06   #10
BHPian

Atul,

OM 611 production shall go on floor for production by this month end & will be available by next month. It has a 30% increase in power & fuel efficiency then present engine. Also there is a variant called traveller sleer which come in 4+d & 6+d variants, do try that may be it can suit your need.
Old 19th July 2010, 20:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

First off, why do you want a traveller??? To take your family on trips?

Its best when you have a driver and convert the rear with a business class type seat.

Self driving managable in hwy but not city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
Atul,

OM 611 production shall go on floor for production by this month end & will be available by next month. It has a 30% increase in power & fuel efficiency then present engine. Also there is a variant called traveller sleer which come in 4+d & 6+d variants, do try that may be it can suit your need.
When Force motors says 1 month, it usually = 1 year.

But anyway, what about the sliding door version? Is power steering available?
Old 20th July 2010, 11:28   #12
BHPian

ya sliding door version is available, power steering is optional. in coming months your perception about force motors will surely changed, because i have already started to see the change.
Old 20th July 2010, 13:18   #13
BHPian

why not consider the tata winger? Don't know about its driveablity though.
Old 20th July 2010, 13:36   #14
BANNED

+1 to that. I have travelled for around 300kms in the Winger and have driven it for about 20kms. The feel is like a big van with decent road holding and handling though not great in terms of pick up or top speed(Sumo Engine). The fit and finish though is vastly superior to that of the TT and is a better package overall.

I would suggest you give it a try.
Old 20th July 2010, 13:59   #15
BHPian

Dc??

You can also buy the normal 14 seater and modify it as per your requirement to convert it into a mobile home. DC surely does this very often and can suit several budgets. Go to DC DESIGN and you will find several options...

Most Viewed