Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2010, 13:47   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
1) they have 2 models: one is the normal - P8000 & other is a volvo clone - BMR Z1. We would like to try the BMR Z1. however, it should not turn out to be a cheap imitation of the volvo.
I think it would look somewhat like the Kollanur bus in one of the earlier posts. (Here)

Quote:
2) Viking can accommodate 40 P/B seats if the driver berth is reduced by sacrificing the driver's bed. we are ready for that.
Do you actually require that bed? I ask this because you anyway operate as a contract carriage, and will not take the bus for long trips regularly (like trip operators)

Quote:
3) AC unit can be either Carrier or Thermoking which costs 5.2 lakhs or a chinese company Zingy which costs 3.8 lakhs. we would avoid Zingy. any suggestion between Carrier & Thermoking guys? both have their offices in cochin.
Go for the Carrier. They are the most reputed in the industry. I somehow felt the temperature control was better with a Carrier than the Thermoking - this is purely based on my experience.
Old 22nd September 2010, 13:59   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
165 hp Viking - 5334/5639
Good selection Raj.
Go ahead!

Quote:
1) in the 165 hp 222" BSIII Viking (ALPSV 4/83), they have mentioned standard suspension as "shackle" & optional suspension as "rubber ended". Is weveller suspension & rubber ended the same?
Yes they are one and the same.
Quote:
2) the AL rep also mentioned that air suspension is an optional fitment in 4/83. we have enquired about the make of the A/S to which he said he will revert back. which make is preferred? we have Wheels India on our previous Vikings. They have given some minor issues but nothing to be worried about.
If its from AL, its likely to be wheels india make only
Quote:
4) it also mentions Direct Drive AC as "optional". what does that mean?
You will get attachment with bracket and pulley. This will help you to fix your AC compressor easily.
Quote:
5) in the specifications, it is mentioned 'helper spring & rear shock absorber on 222" Viking'. does rear shock absorber mean coil springs??
No they are different. Rear shock absorber is completely different from coil springs.
Coil springs dont have any additional hydraulic/pnematic dampers. Where as shock absorber has this option.

Last edited by Ashley2 : 22nd September 2010 at 14:01.
Old 22nd September 2010, 14:22   #108
Senior - BHPian

Raj,

Just check out the follwoing info:

Quote:

Modine Korea, LLC manufactures heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems for commercial vehicles, trucks, and buses. Its products include car air-conditioning systems, condensers, heaters, evaporators, oil coolers, intercoolers, cooling modules, bus air conditioners, and train air conditioners. Modine Korea, LLC was founded in 2004 and is based in Chungnam, South Korea. As of December 23, 2009, Modine Korea, LLC operates as a subsidiary of KB Synthetics Co., Ltd

121, Maegok-ri
Tangjeong-myon
Asan-City
Chungnam, 336-843
South Korea
Founded in 2004

Phone: 82 4 1538 3114
Fax: 82 4 1538 3661

Unquote:

These guys make Bus A/C and they have a brand called Mando. This is the most popular brand of A/C in Buses in UAE, including the AL being assembled here in UAE.

I am sure they must be having a dealer in India (unfortunately I could not get their website ID)

Being a Korean Product may be a thrird choice in between Carrier/Thermoking and Zingy

If the thing is effective in the UAE Climate I am sure it would do well in India as well.

Just an option!

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 22nd September 2010, 17:41   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
I think it would look somewhat like the Kollanur bus in one of the earlier posts. (Here)
yes, but not so overdone with stickers!

we are trying for the BMR Z1 model though, i wish its available with sliding glass.

Quote:
Do you actually require that bed? I ask this because you anyway operate as a contract carriage, and will not take the bus for long trips regularly (like trip operators)
not really, thats the reason we have decided to sacrifice that bed & opt for 40 P/B seats.

Quote:
Go for the Carrier. They are the most reputed in the industry. I somehow felt the temperature control was better with a Carrier than the Thermoking - this is purely based on my experience.
thanks. i was looking for such personal views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Good selection Raj.
Go ahead!
thanks Ashley, i think you missed my post # 105!

Quote:
If its from AL, its likely to be wheels india make only
i want them to confirm the make as i dont want any cheap brand to be fitted. also, they have assured that service for the AS will be offered at all AL A.S.S.

Quote:
You will get attachment with bracket and pulley. This will help you to fix your AC compressor easily.
AC direct drive was mentioned in 'optional fitment'. so that means i will have to specify that option to AL right? else, the chassis wont have the brackets & pulleys attached.

Quote:
No they are different. Rear shock absorber is completely different from coil springs.
Coil springs dont have any additional hydraulic/pnematic dampers. Where as shock absorber has this option.
thanks for confirming that option. rear shock absorbers are standard on this chassis.

i am going for front weveller & rear air suspension, any opinions or insights on that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Raj,

Just check out the follwoing info:

Quote:

Modine Korea, LLC manufactures heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems for commercial vehicles, trucks, and buses. Its products include car air-conditioning systems, condensers, heaters, evaporators, oil coolers, intercoolers, cooling modules, bus air conditioners, and train air conditioners. Modine Korea, LLC was founded in 2004 and is based in Chungnam, South Korea. As of December 23, 2009, Modine Korea, LLC operates as a subsidiary of KB Synthetics Co., Ltd

121, Maegok-ri
Tangjeong-myon
Asan-City
Chungnam, 336-843
South Korea
Founded in 2004

Phone: 82 4 1538 3114
Fax: 82 4 1538 3661

Unquote:

These guys make Bus A/C and they have a brand called Mando. This is the most popular brand of A/C in Buses in UAE, including the AL being assembled here in UAE.

I am sure they must be having a dealer in India (unfortunately I could not get their website ID)

Being a Korean Product may be a thrird choice in between Carrier/Thermoking and Zingy

If the thing is effective in the UAE Climate I am sure it would do well in India as well.

Just an option!

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
hi ram, thanks for that info. problem with going for such brands is serviceability. if something goes wrong with the unit, do these brands have dealers in cochin?

Last edited by raj_5004 : 22nd September 2010 at 17:43.
Old 22nd September 2010, 22:33   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3) AC unit can be either Carrier or Thermoking which costs 5.2 lakhs or a chinese company Zingy which costs 3.8 lakhs. we would avoid Zingy. any suggestion between Carrier & Thermoking guys? both have their offices in cochin.
Thermo King India inks distribution pact with TVS & Sons - The Economic Times
Incidently TVS&Sons is the AL dealer, and service center for Wheels India brake systems. So i assume, eventually you will be able to service the A/C also at your TVS workshops, considering this will Thermo king a better choice?
Old 23rd September 2010, 08:49   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yes, but not so overdone with stickers!

we are trying for the BMR Z1 model though, i wish its available with sliding glass.
So you are planning to stick to Prakash itself?

Sad that you are not considering Veera. Veera has made its presence felt in the AC bus market, so much that a lot of contract carriage operators (there is one operator called "Aiyyappa's", in Irinjalakuda - they own about 15-20 buses, a majority of them are Veera), have moved over to them.

Veera sold over 2000 buses in just 5 years since inception. They also hit a jackpot at the recent JNNURM deals.

I would request you have a look at them - they seem to be specializing in AC buses these days. They too are located in Bangalore, and you may be able to check out both Prakash and Veera in a single day.

This is their contact details:
Quote:
Veera Vahana Udyog Private Limited
Plot No. 16-19, Bommasandra-Jigani Link Road Industrial Area
Hennagara Post, Anekal Taluq, Bangalore - 562 106. India
Tel: 080-27839000 / 02 / 03 Fax: 080-27839001
Email : veera@bgl.vsnl.net.in
Old 23rd September 2010, 09:30   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Thermo King India inks distribution pact with TVS & Sons - The Economic Times
Incidently TVS&Sons is the AL dealer, and service center for Wheels India brake systems.
thanks for the info buddy, i was not aware of this.

Quote:
So i assume, eventually you will be able to service the A/C also at your TVS workshops, considering this will Thermo king a better choice?
not really. infact, i would opt for that firm which would offer me a better service & closest to my office in cochin. also, the unit needs to cool well & be very reliable.

even if thermoking has its tie up with TVS, if my bus has to go to the A.S.S for every minor complaints of the AC, it would be really be a headache for us. moreover, like every A.S.S, even those guys will ultimately call only the "thermoking" technicians to the A.S.S to solve the issue & then add their commission to the overall bill & make us pay the hefty amount! TVS's service is really pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
So you are planning to stick to Prakash itself?

Sad that you are not considering Veera. Veera has made its presence felt in the AC bus market, so much that a lot of contract carriage operators (there is one operator called "Aiyyappa's", in Irinjalakuda - they own about 15-20 buses, a majority of them are Veera), have moved over to them.

Veera sold over 2000 buses in just 5 years since inception. They also hit a jackpot at the recent JNNURM deals.

I would request you have a look at them - they seem to be specializing in AC buses these days. They too are located in Bangalore, and you may be able to check out both Prakash and Veera in a single day.

This is their contact details:

Prakash is confirmed.
we have even payed the token amount to book the slot for december first week.

I did know about Veera but a well wisher from bangalore told me that, though Veera is good, consider them only if your deal with Prakash does not work out. they are the second best to prakash. I actually liked Veera because they had fresher designs available.

Also, resale value of prakash seems to be better. that matters a lot to us.

Finally & most importantly, we want all our buses to look the same & have the same paint scheme. if you notice our new mini bus built by sisira, its an exact clone of the prakash's bus & thats what we wanted. Thats the reason we chose to stick to Prakash. If we dont like the new BMR X1 model by Prakash, the AC bus would again be an exact clone of our other buses. Thats is to maintain the individuality of our firm's buses.
Old 23rd September 2010, 12:45   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AC direct drive was mentioned in 'optional fitment'. so that means i will have to specify that option to AL right? else, the chassis wont have the brackets & pulleys attached.
Yes! Kindly specify in your requirements.
one point here Raj,
I wish you speak to SMK and ensure that they dont charge for this fitment in their bill. As I doubt this will be part of their body building expenses. Also kindly confirm with them that only this brackets are used during the AC fitment and they dont tell you in later stage that "this brcket does not suit our AC " and so we need to fit another type. Its only a word of caution from my side.

Quote:
i am going for front weveller & rear air suspension, any opinions or insights on that?
This is the best possible combination next to Air - Air.
Right Choice!
Old 23rd September 2010, 14:41   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Yes! Kindly specify in your requirements.
one point here Raj,
I wish you speak to SMK and ensure that they dont charge for this fitment in their bill. As I doubt this will be part of their body building expenses. Also kindly confirm with them that only this brackets are used during the AC fitment and they dont tell you in later stage that "this brcket does not suit our AC " and so we need to fit another type. Its only a word of caution from my side.
thanks for that advice Ashley. the last time i had visited SMK, i saw these new/unworked AL chassis standing there & noticed these brackets on it. i had asked the supervisor about it & he told me that those brackets will be used for AC mounting.

also, in their quotation, they have mentioned all charged separately, like body building, seats, etc. the only charges for AC they have mentioned is "AC ducting" which costs 60k.

but i will still confirm this point with them. infact, i should be confirming this with Carrier or Thermoking right? since i feel their technicians would be the ones doing the installation.
Old 23rd September 2010, 17:14   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks for that advice Ashley. the last time i had visited SMK, i saw these new/unworked AL chassis standing there & noticed these brackets on it. i had asked the supervisor about it & he told me that those brackets will be used for AC mounting
Good observation Raj!

Quote:
but i will still confirm this point with them. infact, i should be confirming this with Carrier or Thermoking right? since i feel their technicians would be the ones doing the installation.
Thats always better
Old 28th September 2010, 11:00   #116
Senior - BHPian

Guys, i got the brochure of Irizar iT09 by courier. though the bus looks good, its more apt for inter city travel. also, it is too expensive for us.

but i was amazed by the optional fitments they provide-

1) opposed wide sweep wiper system with inbuilt spray with 3 ltr tank
2) rear view camera with LCD screen on dashboard
3) two point seatbelt & mobile/laptop charger for all seats
4) public address system at the driver's cabin
5) electrically adjustable rear view mirror & mechanically adjustable bumper mirror
6) electrically operated driver window

some of the standard fitments are -

1) pneumatic outswing passenger door
2) reclining seats with adjustable armrest & foot rest, magazine pouch, bottle holder & grab handle
3) 1 fire extinguisher & 5 emergency hammers
4) longitudinal fluorescent lighting inbuilt in hatrack
5) passenger entry lamps at footstep
6) adjustable AC vent console, reading lamps with switch, integrated speaker & service call switch
Old 28th September 2010, 12:08   #117
BHPian

Raj! Did you get the technical specs on what all chasis on which the iT09 is offered? if they offer it only on 12M then you would not have gone to them even if they were cheaper by 2-4 lakhs, as you are going with Viking chasis. Right?
Old 28th September 2010, 16:13   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Raj! Did you get the technical specs on what all chasis on which the iT09 is offered? if they offer it only on 12M then you would not have gone to them even if they were cheaper by 2-4 lakhs, as you are going with Viking chasis. Right?
Its built on all chassis. No matter its 12M or Viking!
Old 28th September 2010, 21:40   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, i got the brochure of Irizar iT09 by courier. though the bus looks good, its more apt for inter city travel. also, it is too expensive for us.
Can you please put up a scanned copy of the brochure for all of us here?

BTW, have you finalised your AC options? If not, you may consider Denso as well. Denso was the OEM on Volvo City buses until just before the JNNURM deal came. Denso has a service centre at Kochi as well.

Might be off topic, one pic of an AC bus for you:

An AC bus this time! AL Viking BS-III Delivered-img_3389.jpg

The bus is owned by Sree Ayyappa Travels (Irinjalakkuda). They are a major operator here.

A question to others: What kind of AC fitting is this? Remember seeing such ACs in buses of the late 90s. I guess they were used before the current type of ACs came.
Old 28th September 2010, 23:00   #120
BHPian

it looks more like a window ac unit which we used to see in our offices in the late 90s.now a days its more like the concept is HVAC where in a central unit circulates the air flow equivalently in the entire coach.
more over these units seems to be much more heavier than the current ones. the design also seems to be prone to water leakage over a period of time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks