Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2010, 08:24   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Tata introduces India's first CNG + Electric Hybrid Bus

Tata introduces India's first CNG + Electric Hybrid Bus-tata-cng-hybrid-bus.jpg

Tata introduces India's first CNG + Electric Hybrid Bus-tata-cng-hybrid-bus-side-view.jpg

From the official communication received:
Quote:
Tata Motors today presented to the Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) CNG + Electric Hybrid Low-floor Starbuses, India’s first such vehicle. This is the first time in India that hybrid buses will be used for public transportation.

Commenting on the occasion, Mr. Telang said, “The CNG- Electric Hybrid Tata Starbus is a result of Tata Motors’ advances in alternate fuel technologies, including electric vehicles”. The four Hybrid buses of Tata Motors will run in the city of Delhi during the Commonwealth Games period. The company will maintain the buses, as it does for the fleet of Tata low-floor CNG buses running in the city.

Meant for intra-city transportation, the Hybrid Tata Starbus is powered with a parallel hybrid engine comprising an internal combustion CNG engine and an electric motor using regenerative energy storage system. Parallel hybrid technology uses power generation simultaneously through both the CNG engine and the electric motor to drive the vehicle. The system reutilises lost braking energy to recharge the battery.

The Tata Hybrid Starbus offers substantial improvement in fuel economy compared to a conventional bus. The low-floor (floor height: 400 mm) air-conditioned bus can seat 32 passengers, and can also accommodate wheel chairs. Pneumatically operated in-swing and out-swing flat doors and kneeling facility allow easy entry and exit, reducing halt time and trip lengths. Full air suspension and telescopic double-acting shock absorbers provide excellent ride quality, while an energy-efficient HVAC system enhances comfort.

During the Commonwealth Games, DTC will also operate a fleet of 600 Tata low floor air-conditioned CNG buses for the exclusive use of athletes and delegates. Tata Motors is providing round-the-clock upkeep & maintenance of these buses, with a dedicated team of over 500 engineers, mechanics and other staff at the Millennium Park Depot, specially created for the Commonwealth Games.
Old 18th September 2010, 08:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Thats a great start.

But, I have a question here: Is TATA really the first to bring such a bus in India? Didn't Ashok Leyland display their "Hybus" during the Auto Expo? That was then touted to be the first "Hybrid" bus in India. Sad that, as always, the Leyland project is still to take off.
Old 18th September 2010, 11:55   #3
BANNED

The bus looks great.

Let's hope that the bus is technically sound and doesn't give any news headlines.
Old 18th September 2010, 13:43   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Great move. I am hoping for this bus' popularity to spread rapidly.
Old 18th September 2010, 13:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

how can we differentiate between the normal bus and this hybrid bus ?

I guess it will also be of Red color (since this is airconditioned bus).

And please Tata, make it a little less noisy at the back. If one is behind these buses, eardrums go for a toss.
Old 18th September 2010, 14:59   #6
BHPian

Great move. I am hoping for this
bus' popularity to spread rapidly.
Me too pray to God that it creates a good impressions, otherwise like its fiery predecessors, it can tarnish both Tata's and India's image in front of thousand of foreigners.
Old 18th September 2010, 18:28   #7
BHPian

A great move by Tata Motors. A great moment for the Indian Automobile Industry, as we too now have the hybrid technology in the buses.
Hope it lives up to the expectations..
Old 18th September 2010, 20:18   #8
BHPian

a superb move by Tata Motors. It's good that vehicles manufacturers in India are starting out with hybrid/electric technology as that is the way to go given traditional fuel stocks and prices.
Old 18th September 2010, 22:51   #9
BHPian

i suppose the credential for launching alternate fuel buses defenitely goes first to Ashok Leyland even though none of products have took off from their factory lines.
@Binai...even before Hybus was introduced AL had showcased a hybrid electric bus chassis with a rear engined 4 cylinder engine to power the battery sets packed to provide power for the wheels..as in the same too regenerative technology was used..since am not that expert to comment on technical side, leaving the arena for the rest.

cheers
Old 19th September 2010, 02:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Wow! Thats a great start.
But, I have a question here: Is TATA really the first to bring such a bus in India?
I guess, Tata is the first Hybrid bus on road with a Transport Undertaking. AL Hybus is a plugin hybrid, not sure regenerative braking is used to charge the battery.
Old 19th September 2010, 10:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
I guess, Tata is the first Hybrid bus on road with a Transport Undertaking. AL Hybus is a plugin hybrid, not sure regenerative braking is used to charge the battery.
Its also a type of regenerative braking only and plug in is a add on facilty in it.
Old 25th December 2010, 13:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata introduces India's first CNG + Electric Hybrid Bus

BEST is getting the bus for trials now. Read this report for details: After 100 years, electric BEST buses return to Mumbai roads - Mumbai - DNA
Old 25th December 2010, 22:00   #13
BHPian

There have been reports in media that AL along with DTC had operated its HYBUS during the CWG in Delhi. Two AL Hybus were deployed to transport Media persons for the CWG. The credit of introducing regenerative technology in buses in India surely goes to AL, but this time both AL & TML has come out with better fully built models during the autoexpo. TML surely is making the most out of its association with Marcopolo. Very soon we will see "Tata Marcopolo Vestibule bus" on Indian roads...a segment fully dominated by AL till now.
Old 25th December 2010, 23:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
Two AL Hybus were deployed to transport Media persons for the CWG.
I also read about the same in an AL press release, Has anybody seen this during CW games?
Quote:
The credit of introducing reg]enerative technology in buses in India surely goes to AL
Really, where were they using it?
Quote:
TML surely is making the most out of its association with Marcopolo. Very soon we will see "Tata Marcopolo Vestibule bus" on Indian roads...a segment fully dominated by AL till now.
Not sure how the association with Marcopolo helped the Hybrid bus. Yes, vestibule, i agree, I like some competition to AL, not just in vestibule buses, but double decker also. To dominate, this market is so small anyway, but with these BRTS and dedicated bus lanes, vestibule bus market may expand in the future.

Last edited by teamveevee : 25th December 2010 at 23:27.
Old 26th December 2010, 21:04   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
1. I also read about the same in an AL press release, Has anybody seen this during CW games?
2. Really, where were they using it?
3. Not sure how the association with Marcopolo helped the Hybrid bus. Yes, vestibule, i agree, I like some competition to AL, not just in vestibule buses, but double decker also. To dominate, this market is so small anyway, but with these BRTS and dedicated bus lanes, vestibule bus market may expand in the future.
1. There was a report in the "CV" magazine last month issue about the AL Hybus operated during the CWG.

2. The first indegineous effort in India for using regenerative technology (may be not advanced as today) in buses was by AL. The first such bus was put on road by DTC in delhi way back. But it was not into any commercial production, simply because, it was ahead of its times! The image below...(hybrid electric-diesel bus)

3. The TML association with marcopolo helped them to acquire modern day body design & manufacturing technology. AL failed to exploite IRIZAR fully, inspite of being the early bird.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata introduces India's first CNG + Electric Hybrid Bus-hev.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks