Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2010, 19:35   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Piaggio launches the Apé mini (half tonne)

Piaggio launches the Apé mini (half tonne)-piaggio.jpg

High-points:

- Piaggio has launched the Apé mini, a half tonne cargo 4-wheeler.

- It has been uniformly priced at Rs. 1,73,600 across India (ex-showroom price).

- Company wants to expand its stronghold from 3 wheelers to 4.

- In direct competition with the Mahindra Gio. Tata Motors also expected to launch the Tata Ace Zip. Market will see stiff competition between the three.

- Claimed mileage of 29 kpl. Ground clearance = 230 mm.

- 15 month warranty and 5 free services offered.

Last edited by GTO : 12th October 2010 at 19:49.
Old 13th October 2010, 06:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

The vehicle looks very stable and the design is pleasing to the eye.

The things I noticed were the autorickshaw tyres and the 'fake' grill in the front. Going by the Sardarji next to it, looks like there is very less space in the cabin for a normal sized human.

Two questions though
1. Is the ACE ZIP the TATA PENGUIN?
2. What happended to the PIAGGO PORTER that was spotted near Bangalore a few months back?(there is a thread on that piece)
Old 13th October 2010, 08:39   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
The vehicle looks very stable and the design is pleasing to the eye.

The things I noticed were the autorickshaw tyres and the 'fake' grill in the front. Going by the Sardarji next to it, looks like there is very less space in the cabin for a normal sized human.
Tyres and fake grill are totally acceptable for the segment, and the audience it caters to! If Mahindra Gio can sell (), i am sure looks doesnt matter at all!

Looks like Piaggio has another winner here! APE has good brand value in the commercial segment.
Old 13th October 2010, 10:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

The driver cabin looks roomy and spacious than the Mahindra Gio. hope this one is not as noisy as the three wheeler APE
Old 24th October 2010, 14:21   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Attachment 437954

High-points:

- Piaggio has launched the Apé mini, a half tonne cargo 4-wheeler.

- It has been uniformly priced at Rs. 1,73,600 across India (ex-showroom price).

- Company wants to expand its stronghold from 3 wheelers to 4.

- In direct competition with the Mahindra Gio. Tata Motors also expected to launch the Tata Ace Zip. Market will see stiff competition between the three.

- Claimed mileage of 29 kpl. Ground clearance = 230 mm.

- 15 month warranty and 5 free services offered.
Any plans for a passenger version ? Nearly 30 kmpl for diesel is very attractive...
Old 10th July 2016, 00:49   #6
BHPian

Re: Piaggio launches the Apé mini (half tonne)

Guys, I know it is a very old thread and may not be applicable as the model's production has stopped. But the thing is that I bought a used for almost scrap price as I needed a small wagon for movement of goods for my business purpose that could normally take nearly a week to complete a single project. The vehicle that I purchased felt pretty stable, but needs a lots of repairs to be able to use it for my purpose (which is mostly for lighter loads, but of greater by volume) and hence picked up this one.

I have found the engine service manual from the internet, that is kd441 series (BS3) Lombardini (FYI), but unable to dig out any electrical diagrams. If anyone comes across, It would be of great help, eitherway I am going to get my hands dirty tomorrow morning to check it out. I found that the engine does not have a dynamo/alternator for charging the battery, and my friend who is good with old diesels says that the starter could double as a dynamo.

Any more info on the vehicle would definitely help for upkeeping this Italian mini master in top condition. Thanks in advance!
Old 11th July 2016, 09:27   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantragna View Post
I have found the engine service manual from the internet, that is kd441 series (BS3) Lombardini (FYI), but unable to dig out any electrical diagrams. If anyone comes across, It would be of great help, eitherway I am going to get my hands dirty tomorrow morning to check it out. I found that the engine does not have a dynamo/alternator for charging the battery, and my friend who is good with old diesels says that the starter could double as a dynamo.

Any more info on the vehicle would definitely help for upkeeping this Italian mini master in top condition. Thanks in advance!
The architecture of this vehicle is very similar to the Mahindra Gio which has the same engine and similar mechanicals. I suggest you try to see the starter/ dynamo configuration in the Gio so that you get a better idea.
SAE40 in veins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 02:01   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE40 in veins View Post
I suggest you try to see the starter/ dynamo configuration in the Gio so that you get a better idea.
Thanks SAE40, I found that the dynamo is built into the flywheel/stator setup, similar to what the good old vespa/bajaj scooters did like. Fixed many broken and damaged wiring and the vehicle is good to go. I am enjoying the ride in it and feeling like a truck driver (mini though )
Old 4th August 2016, 02:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
Any plans for a passenger version ? Nearly 30 kmpl for diesel is very attractive...
It appears that the version has since been discontinued.
A passenger version would have been a straight rival to the Tata Magic and the market would have had a choice. But why this was not launched in all these years is not understandable.

Last edited by rajeev k : 4th August 2016 at 03:01.
Old 6th August 2016, 00:23   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
It appears that the version has since been discontinued.
... But why this was not launched in all these years is not understandable.
Yes, it was sold only in the year 2011 and later discontinued since Ape Truk & Truk Plus was a good success. IMO it was discontinued as it was pushed into the LGV category and the paperwork was expensive for a vehicle that only had one extra wheel to its 3-wheeled sibling. Apart from the extra wheel, the loading capacity, both volume and weight is same as 3 wheeled ape.

Piaggio are really smart in their line of vehicles and their every vehicled launched is popular and a hit in the market. Perhaps, the passenger version didn't make a positive sense in their minds.

Last edited by tantragna : 6th August 2016 at 00:41.

Most Viewed