Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2006, 07:28   #61
Team-BHP Support

Not just BSM but every mags blasted the TL, and for once I agree. 8L for a vehicle with a verticle rear set? This time its tata whos smoking the highest quality dope supplied by skoda.
That thing takes 30+ seconds to reach a ton, has the most basic interiors and costs 8L. At 6L it would have been nice.
The 3.0 DI starts from 3.5L, I wonder whats tats charging the extra 3L for? The bull bar?
Old 12th January 2006, 09:11   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish
I am still a big fan of the Telcoline..
At a reported 6 lakhs plus, I am no fan of this truck. Like tsk said, the 207 costs 3.5 lakhs and it has a 3 litre engine. Why on earth should this thing cost so much more????? 1 lakh more than the 207 would've been the ideal purchase point, as you get an a/c, body-shaped loadbed, additional cabin and alloy wheels for that price.
Old 12th January 2006, 16:14   #63
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The question is - Is Tata really interested in supplying this car to the Indian market? I have seen several examples being exported as far as 7 - 8 years back. It was primarily meant for exports, and if any are available here...I would presume they are just production surplus.

8 Lacs. You gotta be kidding me.

GTO
Old 12th January 2006, 16:35   #64
Senior - BHPian

8 lacs for the TL 4x4...ha..ha..haha..hahaha....

errr...tata, perhaps you should add this to your sales ads: warning: buy only if you have money like us...

that reminds me: has anyone seen the TL ad , the one where the TL takes 'panga' with the "supercars".....??? has tata begun to lose it after "spoil yourself"...??

5.5-6L sounds more like it, for the 2.0 4x4 version. throw in a DICOR powerplant, a multi-link rear, better seats, and then maybe, just maybe, tata can ask for 8 lacs...
Old 13th January 2006, 17:51   #65
BHPian

No Test Vehicle in Bangalore :-(

I totally agree with all ye guru's that the vehicle is not worth for 8L. But if this vehicle were available for < 6L with 4x4, twin-cab along with the bull-bars, I wouldn't think twice before placing an order..

I've waited for this truck for so long and i am really disappointed by TATA's. I contacted 2-3 dealerships in bangalore and they don't even have a test vehicle here. The reply i got was that this vehicle would be launched in Feb 1st week and a test vehicle should be available only around that time.. When i asked for the price of the vehicle, they were non-committal for the price too.. I wonder whats going on..

Looks like all Tata folks are attending the auto-expo in delhi and thinking hard after the new launches by Mahindra..

The Skoda Yeti-2 and Mahindra Inspira look interesting.. But my search for a True-Blue 4x4 Pickup for the right price is still on..

Meanwhile check out the following links..
http://www.skoda-auto.com/cze/model/...II/gallery.htm
Old 28th February 2006, 15:31   #66
BHPian

its not a 3.0 litre engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
that's the tata 207 IDI pickup/crewcab;the 207 DI version is powered by a 3.0 litre 67 bhp, N.A engine (i think)...
its not a 3.0 litre engine as in the 207 crew cab but a 2.0 litre engine producing 90 bhp. much sportier i think, but on the price side way too much for such a vehicle.
Old 24th March 2006, 15:51   #67
Senior - BHPian

TATA TL 4x4 My road test

I have driven the new Tata TL 4x4 for about 40 kms on mumbai's EE highway from Mulund to Chembur and back and here is a summary of my findings

Exteriors: Very very macho. A truck, which is 16.5 feet long 6 feet wide and about 6 feet tall. The ground clearance is an endeavor like 200 mm; you can ride over road dividers if you feel like. The vehicle is handsome in a butch way with front bull bars, roll bars over the loading bay, rear aluminum footrest and a loading bay guard made of a thick steel bar. Aluminum running boards across the length of the cab, the car is protected from all sides completely. Windows are green tinted and pretty large. Big exterior mirrors from the Sumo, but internally adjustable.

Interiors:Interiors is spacious (I checked the double cab) with adequate seating for 5 people. Headroom is sufficient even in the rear seat (I am 6 feet tall) but leg space might be a compromise (hey its a truck and not a saloon). Front leg space is too good. Gear lever is small stubby and perfectly placed. Tilt power steering from the safari looks over white dials of the Speedo and tacho. Large parcel tray, cigg liter and plenty of storage space in the bin. Hummer like space between the passenger seat and the driver's covered by gray plastics. The interior is gray much like an indica or an alto, but the dashboard is like a vintage serria. Visibility from the driver's perch is A+ with an awesome view of the bonnet and the road, perched high up. RV Mirror is useful and rear visibility tru the cab is good and wing mirrors need not be used at all.

Driving exp: I fired up the engine (sourced from the earlier safari) and surprise, no vibrations. That’s the best zero vibrations from this test vehicle which clocked about 5k kms and on revving up the same ol safari turbo whine . Nothing like the tractor like 207. The engine has been rubber mounted and sound protection is given on the bonnet and other areas hence this refined car like quietness, almost feels like a petrol. The gears are same old 5 forward one reverse (and thankfully not like a rubbery tata shift). Positive shifts are pleasing and the torque from the engine speaks. Acceleration is ok not too slow and not too fast, something like the alto types. Steering this beast is very very easy thanks to the power steering, feels comfortable all day. But be careful of the 16.5 feet length when overtaking. That brings me to the point, overtaking is a breeze thanks to the torque but the beast springs to life @ 3000rpm when the car hits 90+ speeds in the 5th gear. Oh and this is the car which every one (and i mean everyone) gives way on the road. Taxis, autos, other cars , even sumos/qualisis move aside when you are right behind them and honk jst once. What an ego boost . This is the only car in which even a BEST bus walla gave me some respect. And the bikers? no problems, they actually keep a fair distance from you, even at signals .Suspension is MUV like and pretty stiff, potholes and undulations can be felt but is never too uncomfortable.

Fuel Economy: Couldn’t test, but the tata guy assured me 14kmpl with A/C. Now is that possible remains to be seen

Price: The 4x2 double cab has an on road price of Rs 6.5 Lacs (Ex vashi) and the 4x4 double cab has a price of Rs 7.5 Lacs The 4x2 single cab is Rs 6lacs. The Tata motors scheme is Rs 1.5 lac down payment and balance Rs 5lac is Rs 12k pm for 5 years @ 4% fixed.

Positives:ROAD PRESENCE ROAD PRESENCE nd ROAD PRESENCE. Seriously, a fun car to drive and own. And @ 6.5 lacs makes me seriously upgrading to it from an alto. No problems in traffic becoz ppl actually move away and make space for you.

Negatives:Crappy brakes. I had to almost stand on the brakes to bring it to a halt @ vikhroli signal. Wonder what wud be the damage I wud cause to a cab if I hit it? But seriously, the tata guy assured me the delivered vehicle wud have far better brakes and the test vehicle’s brakes were badly set. How to convince’ ones wife/family to buy a truck in place of a sedan?

Ravi

Last edited by apachelongbow : 24th March 2006 at 15:54.
Old 24th March 2006, 18:30   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow
Negatives:Crappy brakes. I had to almost stand on the brakes to bring it to a halt @ vikhroli signal. Wonder what wud be the damage I wud cause to a cab if I hit it? But seriously, the tata guy assured me the delivered vehicle wud have far better brakes and the test vehicle’s brakes were badly set. How to convince’ ones wife/family to buy a truck in place of a sedan?
Ravi
Add the high cost of the vehicle to the list.

But i appreciate the clear review that you have put and i am glad to hear positives about the vehicle. One more thing is that the twin-cab can be registered as an 10+1 seater. Plus you move with an air of dump anything in the back attitude..

Manish
Old 16th April 2006, 10:39   #69
Senior - BHPian

Why is the Dicor engine not plonked in there.

The dicor engine will certainly do wonders.

And Tata should reduce the price by atleast 1 lakh.
Old 16th April 2006, 12:31   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Why is the Dicor engine not plonked in there.

The dicor engine will certainly do wonders.

And Tata should reduce the price by atleast 1 lakh.
Those are the bare minimum things that TATA can do to this truck. Besides, i thought that the Tata-Mobile had a smaller wheel-base and was a better looking more useful vehicle for the audience they are now targetting..

The vehicle didn't live upto my expectations.
Old 16th April 2006, 19:08   #71
Senior - BHPian

IMO 6.5 for the double cab 4x2 is still decent value.

1 lakh just for 4wd is a ripoff.
Old 16th April 2006, 20:28   #72
Senior - BHPian

Have they really sold any of these monsters?

has any1 seen them on road?
Old 17th April 2006, 02:05   #73

hw does tata xpect ppl to pay 8lacs for a pimp'd 207DI. damn I luv the vehicle but come on sumthin around 5lacs would hav been awesome
Old 23rd April 2006, 20:02   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow
Driving exp: I fired up the engine (sourced from the earlier safari) and surprise, no vibrations. That’s the best zero vibrations from this test vehicle which clocked about 5k kms and on revving up the same ol safari turbo whine . Nothing like the tractor like 207. The engine has been rubber mounted and sound protection is given on the bonnet and other areas hence this refined car like quietness, almost feels like a petrol. The gears are same old 5 forward one reverse (and thankfully not like a rubbery tata shift). Positive shifts are pleasing and the torque from the engine speaks. Acceleration is ok not too slow and not too fast, something like the alto types. Steering this beast is very very easy thanks to the power steering, feels comfortable all day. But be careful of the 16.5 feet length when overtaking. That brings me to the point, overtaking is a breeze thanks to the torque but the beast springs to life @ 3000rpm when the car hits 90+ speeds in the 5th gear. Oh and this is the car which every one (and i mean everyone) gives way on the road. Taxis, autos, other cars , even sumos/qualisis move aside when you are right behind them and honk jst once. What an ego boost . This is the only car in which even a BEST bus walla gave me some respect. And the bikers? no problems, they actually keep a fair distance from you, even at signals .Suspension is MUV like and pretty stiff, potholes and undulations can be felt but is never too uncomfortable.

Fuel Economy: Couldn’t test, but the tata guy assured me 14kmpl with A/C. Now is that possible remains to be seen
I finally got my hands on the TL 4x4 this weekend. And most of the review mentioned by Ravi holds good, except that i thought that the vehicle felt quite underpowered, with just three people in it including myself.. I am wondering how it would feel when loaded with a fair bit of cargo in the back..

What good is a 4x4 truck, when it cannot pull another vehicle.. I would expect the Telcoline 4x4 to be able to pull an Amby.. (I did not get to try that out, but with the feel of the vehicle, i don't think it would be able to pull even an M800)..

And there is no way one can get 14 kmpl w/AC from a vehicle this size and an underpowered engine.. 8-10 kmpl is more likely..

In perspective, the 207-DI is quite powerful and the vehicle lunges forward in the 2nd gear.. You can tell the difference very clearly.. Anybody, who has driven the 207-DI will never be happy with the underpowered telcoline.

I am disappointed with TATA !!

Last edited by man23ish : 23rd April 2006 at 20:04.
Old 23rd April 2006, 21:16   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish
What good is a 4x4 truck, when it cannot pull another vehicle.. I would expect the Telcoline 4x4 to be able to pull an Amby.. (I did not get to try that out, but with the feel of the vehicle, i don't think it would be able to pull even an M800).
Have you noticed how many people are loaded up into Sumos (hint:same engine). speaking of pulling, we've pulled an amby with an M800...no jokes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks