Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2005, 14:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Hmm.... I wonder if it is even possible to lock up the wheels in a BEST bus.... me thinks probably not!!

cya
R

hey rehaan...these buses come with air brakes...so they lock the moment they are applied ...thats the reason the bus drivers always pump the brakes to slow down..if applied immediately the tires will lock but the momentum will cause bus to skid..

Volvo offers ABS on its b7r buses...but sadly there are not many takers...thenew actross range of heavy vehicles from mercedes will also have ABS
Old 12th December 2005, 15:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

[SIZE=2]these features were being installed in BEST buses on a trial basis and i guess they worked out the feasability of these systems in the buses.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
Old 12th December 2005, 16:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

There are buses with auto transmission and its been around for a long time. Have seen the "Anti Lock Brake System" and was wondering if they really have it. Since I've seen these stickers on other BEST's as well, they must be having it. Anyone who has felt a sudden brake jerk in a bus will surely say its a good move.

About steering, I think all buses/trucks steerings are electronically assisted. I guess these are not new because I can hardly imagine someone turning that steering without any sort of assistance. Remember TATA Estate's electronic steering.
Old 12th December 2005, 17:13   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
hey rehaan...these buses come with air brakes...so they lock the moment they are applied ...thats the reason the bus drivers always pump the brakes to slow down..if applied immediately the tires will lock but the momentum will cause bus to skid..

can a 16 tonne bus brakes lock and skid?
that too with speed 40-50kmph
can you clarify
Old 12th December 2005, 19:00   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetlife
that too with speed 40-50kmph
can you clarify
Why not. See, if there is no ABS installed and you just stood on the brake pedals the wheels have to lock. Else, we will have brakes which basically can not stop the rolling. And that will be even deadlier. So the moment the wheels have stopped rolling and yet the momentum keeps dragging the vehicle you will have locked wheels and a skid.
Old 12th December 2005, 22:40   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hmm.... I wonder if it is even possible to lock up the wheels in a BEST bus.... me thinks probably not!!

cya
R
Reminds me of something that happened many, many years ago. I was in my 12th and waiting at the bus stop. It was raining heavily. Suddenly, this double decker comes by. It was not travelling very fast and the driver applied the brakes. The front wheels locked and the bus slid ahead and came to a halt after 15 - 20 feet. Luckily, no one was standing there, or else......
Old 12th December 2005, 22:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

Yes it is quite possible...i saw a BMC garbage truck going out of control, when its rear wheels locked on braking during a turn. ABS is required.

Drifter
Old 12th December 2005, 23:24   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetlfe
In most the cases it wont due to Inertia.

Last edited by Stratos : 13th December 2005 at 19:38.
Old 13th December 2005, 05:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Yes, TVS manufactures ABS modules for buses.

They seem to be vary of the demand for safety features in buses increasing, and have bagged orders for Govt. buses all over the country.
Old 13th December 2005, 11:22   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
Why not. See, if there is no ABS installed and you just stood on the brake pedals the wheels have to lock. Else, we will have brakes which basically can not stop the rolling. And that will be even deadlier. So the moment the wheels have stopped rolling and yet the momentum keeps dragging the vehicle you will have locked wheels and a skid.
my uncle's scooter had this problem, i could manage it alone, and he could manage alone too, riding at slow speed. but when i rode with him as pillion, the brakes just refused to stop the vehicle. His inertia was too much for the brake's capabilty. I had to explain it to him that i was not at fault, brake was.
Old 27th December 2005, 22:13   #26

Most of the BEST buses on the churchgate to Navy Nagar route have auto-transmission. the gear stick is quite tiny.
Old 28th December 2005, 09:07   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
Could it be that the bus had an auto-transmission? But then why would the driver need to change gears manually? Also, will there be a clutch pedal for auto-transmission?
Hi Zappo,

It is possible that the driver was changing gears without the clutch...
The answer as to how and why is burried deep within these threads, so check them out for all the info you need ! >
How to change gears
What is double clutching
The best way to use the clutch/gears/brakes

And to answer your second question, no, auto transmissions will not have a clutch pedal.

Satya, Aditya, Drifter,
Well i guess i overlooked the monsoon (and the bad state of bus tires).... still seems rather difficult to imagine them locking up in the dry though...but as Aditya and Drifter say it clearly happens more often than we would like!

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th December 2005 at 09:08.
Old 28th December 2005, 09:11   #28
Team-BHP Support

However,

Here is another question.

ABS requires disc-brakes.
Do BEST busses have disc brakes all around??

Or is it just ABS on the front wheels only ?? (kinda like the santro had as an option once upon a time if i am not mistaken?? )

cya
R
Old 28th December 2005, 09:54   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
In most the cases it wont due to Inertia.
Actually, precisely because of inertia it would! Remember that the bus would be in a state of motion before the brakes are applied. And the high mass of the buses results in a huge momentum, which pushes the bus forward.

BTW, I think most BEST drivers, don't press the clutch when shifting from 3rd to 4th.

M
Old 28th December 2005, 10:10   #30
k36
BHPian

What about Swift?

Quote:
ABS requires disc-brakes.
Do BEST busses have disc brakes all around??

Or is it just ABS on the front wheels only ?? (kinda like the santro had as an option once upon a time if i am not mistaken?? )

cya
R
Hey.. even Swift has drums at the back, but has ABS & EBD in some versions. Any inputs on this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks