Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2005, 23:37   #1
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Mumbai BEST buses go hitech ??

Seen this inscription on a BEST bus in Bandra? Do they really have it??
Old 12th December 2005, 00:16   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hmm.... I wonder if it is even possible to lock up the wheels in a BEST bus.... me thinks probably not!!

cya
R
Old 12th December 2005, 00:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Guys,i've seen some govt owned interstate bus with the same words. I believe they exist (0.5 probability). Can anyone confirm??
Old 12th December 2005, 00:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have seen buses with "Automatic Transmission" written on them but never really checked them out
Old 12th December 2005, 01:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
I have seen buses with "Automatic Transmission" written on them but never really checked them out

yeah even i have seen many buses with auotmatic transmission written.the may hav auto transmission but i really doubt they have ABS.

Rev
Old 12th December 2005, 01:15   #6
BHPian

I have always wondered do they have any kind of assisted steering like hydrolic or somethin.. Poor souls really have to work real hard..
Old 12th December 2005, 01:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

[SIZE=2]Lucas TVS india has been dabbing with truck ABS for while now. They might have provided a system for trial purposes. [/SIZE]
Old 12th December 2005, 03:03   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

For all you know it might be an anti-teft system "Anti-Lock breaking"
Adding autotrans and ABS is a good movie but they need to educate the drivers on how to use these hi-fi things. They drive so carelessly that I doubt they even press the cluth button to shift from N mode to D more in the autotrans. And I completly agree with whoever mentioned that they need power steerings, its a must for these guys. After adding all these thrills for the driver its high time they start to change all the BEST buses to become for comfy for the passangers, who are ultimatly the ones that are to benifit as they pay for the ride not the driver.
Old 12th December 2005, 07:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

This from a source working at BEST.

Our 'new' BEST busses now come with automatic transmissions, power steering, Air suspension and ABS. Auto transmission and power steering have been there for quite sometime now, but ABS and air suspension are recent additions. ABS is still on testing.

The new shaped MUTP busses plying these days adorn these features.

Drifter
Old 12th December 2005, 07:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

There is ABS from a couple of months now on some of the Buses. DO they really need ABS??

Many of the Best buses with the normal design (not MUTP) now come with LED taillamps.
Old 12th December 2005, 07:30   #11
BHPian

even the mighty volvo in india have no abs...haha this is probaby some gimmick to increase the ticket fares...!!!!
Old 12th December 2005, 11:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racing4cure
even the mighty volvo in india have no abs...haha this is probaby some gimmick to increase the ticket fares...!!!!
This is where u r wrong racing4cure. Volvo offers ABS as an option on its B7R range of buses.

Auto transmissions on BEST buses are not new. Their pre Euro-I and some Euro-I buses did have auto transmissions, some 6 years back. These were in limited numbers plying on certain routes where stop-go traffic was the norm. Haven't travelled recently but i bet that they are still running.

As for the ABS thing on BEST, don't doubt it. ABS isn't all that big a deal to manufacture anymore in India.

Revv
Old 12th December 2005, 12:34   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
I have been in bus #505 (Bandra - Nerul) and it is indeed an auto (and this was 3 yrs ago)
Old 12th December 2005, 12:44   #14
BHPian

Abs

In Kerala and Tamil Nadu I've seen private buses with a sticker that says, "This vehicle is fitted with TVS ABS for your safety". Since the sticker's got the TVS logo on it, there might be some truth in it. The drivers, if you ask them, have no idea! I believe I've read somewhere that Euro spec dictates that all new heavy vehicles should have ABS mandatorily. And of course, all buses now have hydraulic power steering and even(I think, but not sure) power-assisted brakes.

ED: Never seen auto-tran buses, though

Last edited by MalluDude : 12th December 2005 at 12:45.
Old 12th December 2005, 14:22   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Guys,i've seen some govt owned interstate bus with the same words. I believe they exist (0.5 probability). Can anyone confirm??
Hmmm... never thought of auto-transmission and buses together, somehow. However something suddenly occured to me. A couple of months back my wife was telling about how she saw an RTC bus driver changing gears, braking etc without using the clutch at all. She was learning to drive around that time and was mighty confused (I had drilled it in her to use clutch while changing gears) as the driver had his left leg folded up on the driving seat.

Could it be that the bus had an auto-transmission? But then why would the driver need to change gears manually? Also, will there be a clutch pedal for auto-transmission?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks