Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2010, 16:07   #1
BHPian

Shaktiman or Ashok Stallion for my 4x4 Motor Home?

Hi
Can Any One Suggest One Of These Trucks To Me. I Want To Convert One Into A 4x4 Motor Home, I Have Seen Few Posts Earlier On This Forum But Ending Without Complete Information.

I Understand Shaktiman Is Discontinued And Stallion Is Current But Both Are Available Through Auction Or From A Scrap Dealers.

Can Some One Suggest The Best Place In India To Try And Buy These Trucks. I Tried To Get Hold Of Stallion On Road Carrying Faujis But They Dont Even Allow To Come Near.

Jallandhar Is Near To Me But Lacks Stock. I Will Try Pathankot, Or ??? Need Suggestion.

One Most Important Job Is Making The Documents (rc) Is This Possible???
I Heard The Jonga Is The Largest To Make Rc But Not Beyond That. Disposal Trucks Simply Go To Scrap. Is This True?

Also I Want To Understand Any Important Technical Factor That Would Force Me Not To Choose One Of These Trucks. I Like The Shaktiman Looks As Long As It Doesnt Really Lacks Behind In Terms Of Quality And Drive.
Any Suggestions
Please......

Shootsingh
Mm 550
Jonga
Hilux Surf
Attached Thumbnails
Shaktiman or Ashok Stallion for my 4x4 Motor Home?-man.jpg  

Shaktiman or Ashok Stallion for my 4x4 Motor Home?-ashok_leyland_stallion.jpg  

Shaktiman or Ashok Stallion for my 4x4 Motor Home?-shaktiman.jpg  

Old 26th November 2010, 13:41   #2
BANNED

The first picture ( MAN ) is a dream for me .

I would prefer a Indian truck , for spares availability

secondly I would prefer a truck with semi forward controll setup , Leyland stalion is full forward controll .

The reason for semi forward controll is simple , you have a crumple/buffer zone in front of driver seat .

I will try to find a picture of TATA SD ( sand vehicle ) , that is similar to the modern TATA trucks ( S version ) with the army .

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2010, 13:48   #3
BANNED

1. Dude, with shakthiman's FE measured in liters per kilometer, you will be better off not touching it.

2. Shakthiman may be available through army disposal; but it is a long time since I have seen a Shakthiman. Ugh oh. THere was "shakthiman" the serial on TV.

3. Documentation should not be problem; pelase do it legally. There is a provision in the MV Act, which enables people buying disposal vehicles from the armed services on basis of documents issued by the Army; Please use only this method.

4. Locating spares for the shakthimay may be problem; I am not sure of the situation in the North.

5. Are stallions old enough to reach the disposal stores?

6. Have you tried contacting AL to see if they will sell it to civilians? (the price may be a bit too steep).

7. Conversion - where do you expect to source the spares and axles / diffs? The transfer case? My short answer would be, if you needed to ask, you can't.

Please note that you will need to be in the proper license classification -- Heavy vehicles classification and under go separate tests for driving either of these vehicles. You may not require a "transport vehicle" endorsement if you manage to get a white board, "non transport" vehicle registration. This ought to be possible, as per law, How far it is practical, I do not know.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2010, 14:43   #4
BANNED

I found thease pics in a old 'operators handbook '
this is the 1210 series

I think it is the most appropriate choice in this catagory , a complete motorhome is possible on this chassis.

Shaktiman or Ashok Stallion for my 4x4 Motor Home?-scan0004.jpg

Shaktiman or Ashok Stallion for my 4x4 Motor Home?-scan0005.jpg

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2010, 15:01   #5
BANNED

Additionally, if OP is looking for 4x4 / 4x2, I am sure that the mining industry is using quite a few 10 tonners; that is, if he is not insisting on Stallions.
Old 26th November 2010, 15:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

you have a potion of new force excel.
just need some bigger tyres & a Cummins 6 cylinder diesel burner.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...-help-4x4.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...l-vehicle.html

Last edited by jeepster : 26th November 2010 at 15:22.
Old 26th November 2010, 15:35   #7
BANNED

A Tata 407 -4x4 can be a good choice for drivability , fuel consumption, spares etc ,if one wants to go into this medium segment

also it is quite suitable for city traffic restrictions .

Sudarshan
Old 26th November 2010, 16:18   #8
BANNED

jeepster, the Force Excel is not a frame / ladder chassis, is it? If so, I guess it may not perform well (durablity wise) in 4x4 conditions.

The 407 suggestion does seem to be a good idea.
Old 26th November 2010, 16:23   #9
BHPian

SUDARSHAN THE FIRST PIC IS SHAKTIMAN TOO. BUT GERMANY VERSION, AS IT IS A GERMAN TRUCK MADE IN INDIA UNDER LICENSE.

BaCkSeAtDrIVeR pointed the fuel economy issue, I ACTUALLY ASKED FEW PEOPLE IN ARMY AND THEY QUOTED IT VERY SIMILAR TO STALLION. AROUND 3-5 KMS ON HIGHWAY, WHICH IS STILL DO ABLE.

ALSO THANKS FOR THE DOCUMENTATION ADVICE I WILL CONSIDER THIS. some dealers have given me the price rs 2.5 lacs for the shaktiman and plus another 50 thousand if they find me one with built rear cab. it is called officers cab in army. we can get stallions for 3 lacs.

Yes i dont think it is. Front suspension got some twin rods as iam told. I did considered this first the tempo traveller version with van.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 27th December 2011 at 09:33. Reason: merging posts
Old 26th November 2010, 16:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
jeepster, the Force Excel is not a frame / ladder chassis, is it?
here is a picture of the excel chassis.
its a C section chassis.
Shaktiman or Ashok Stallion for my 4x4 Motor Home?-dsc03306.jpg

Last edited by jeepster : 26th November 2010 at 16:57.
Old 26th November 2010, 17:26   #11
BHPian

Sudarshan what is semi forward control setup?
Went over my head. And the pics u posted are tata but similar to man. I mean shaktiman, my idea of having the engine in front is safety, if im not wrong at this. I am actually artist (mainly photograper) n drvie scania articulate here in uk. Sitting right at front is ok on the dual carriage ways of uk but considering indian cruel drivers i am not confident driving right at the front of truck. Also when u make a motor home on these trucks we can have open access to the cabin from drivers cab, i will post a videolink soon. But leyland cab got to be tilted when doing the engine. Another reason for shaktiman may sound egoistic but i must admit... Its looks. It is an iconic figure in the truck world. Prctically it may or more likely be staying at mechanic than my house, but if manged and cared carefully it can go miles. For spares i think they were made 75000 in total, and are still availabe in disposal yards. But i cant think this military grade beast be breaking off very often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
The first picture ( MAN ) is a dream for me .

I would prefer a Indian truck , for spares availability

secondly I would prefer a truck with semi forward controll setup , Leyland stalion is full forward controll .

The reason for semi forward controll is simple , you have a crumple/buffer zone in front of driver seat .

I will try to find a picture of TATA SD ( sand vehicle ) , that is similar to the modern TATA trucks ( S version ) with the army .

Sudarshan
shootsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2010, 17:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

A fleet of Shaktiman trucks was inducted in Municipal Corporation Delhi in mid 1990s for garbage lifting. The trucks failed and one of the major problems cited was weak clutch. Of course the MCD drivers treated the trucks badly.

Getting hold of spares for Shaktiman would be difficult since the truck is out of production and one rarely comes across them these days. Stallion should be a better bet. You can also look at various models from Tata.

By the way, even Swaraj makes a 4X4 truck. The load body in Swaraj is almost as big as that of Shaktiman but the fuel consumption figure is much better due to the smaller 4 cylinder engine.

Swaraj 4X4 details are available here:

swaraz mazda
Old 26th November 2010, 17:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

You are better off with a Stallion but again Is it old enough to reach the scrap stage? In case you can find one take it though the full forward cab design will make it more challenging for an integrated motor home. The TATA 1210 SA SD is a more appropriate and I think easily available option that can be considered.
Consider a double cab Swaraj Mazda, it would be your best bet as per the overall requirements.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 26th November 2010 at 17:36.
Old 26th November 2010, 17:58   #14
BHPian

Dear backseatdriver
My recent search is sMan is available in surplus, so would be its spares too. Sman were made in large quantity so parts shuld not be a problem. In case i breakdown my transfer case or so (difficult to happen on sman) i can easily go back to jallandhar or pathankot where they are dismantelled.

I shouldnt have problem with license i drive scania in uk and will get this category done in india too.
I have heard that military disposal can be registered but not in bigger cities as new rules are concerned with emissions level. Also jonga is the largest to be easily registerd. I may have to go to some remote area in punjab? I dont why but thats what i heard. May be the law takes times to reach all corners. But u sound quite sure in this, thanks i will carry on in my search
Old 26th November 2010, 19:14   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootsingh View Post
I have heard that military disposal can be registered but not in bigger cities as new rules are concerned with emissions level. Also jonga is the largest to be easily registerd. I may have to go to some remote area in punjab? I dont why but thats what i heard. May be the law takes times to reach all corners. But u sound quite sure in this, thanks i will carry on in my search

Cities are classified into 3 groups, and emissions norms come into force in first place at the A class cities (metros + couple of other cities). One of 2 years, they are enforced in B class citeis, and rest of India in another one year. That is why you may be able to register old school technology vehicles in smaller towns. But, AFAIK, Euro 2 are in force all over India,. Hope somebody else will throw some light on this.

Shakthiman is a 4 tonner, so I think classified as Medium vehicle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks