Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2010, 14:22   #1
BHPian

Buying a CV from State A and registering in State B

Hi,

One of my acquaintance want to buy a new Eicher 10.90 from Bangalore or Gujarat and get it registered in Kerala. The issue is none of the dealer in Kerala is ready to deliver this specific model, whereas in said states this model is readily available with dealers. My doubts are:

1. Can anyone buy this vehicle from Karnataka or Gujarat without paying the tax in these states and drive it to Kerala and register and pay tax there?

2. If yes what are the procedures and formalities with RTO in both states?

Regards
Aravind
Old 30th November 2010, 11:04   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Aravind, don't know about CVs but here are some similar car-related discussions that might help you:

Price difference between States

Buying a car from another state on temp registration
Old 30th November 2010, 11:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravindpn View Post
1. Can anyone buy this vehicle from Karnataka or Gujarat without paying the tax in these states and drive it to Kerala and register and pay tax there?
Perfectly possible that comes with free headaches!!!

Quote:
2. If yes what are the procedures and formalities with RTO in both states?
Pls go through the above threads posted which WILL help you understand the complexities involved & help you when talking to RTO.

On the other hand, why would the dealers not sell a specific model to you? What're the reasons they're quoting? Is it possible to send an email or talk to Eicher's customer care & find out?
Old 30th November 2010, 12:23   #4
BHPian

Thank you GTO, as always you were prompt in helping in clearing the doubts.

aargee, the dealers are having a model named 10.95 in stocks and want to clear out this model. However, practical experience points out that 10.90 gives more mileage than 10.95. This business is very cost sensitive and the small difference of 1-2 kms of mileage makes a big difference (consignment wise) for small intra city runs, however long distance trips will cover this difference.

The customer support of Eicher/ other CV manufacturers like Mahindra/ Swaraj Mazda are not so forthcoming like customer support of car manufacturers and are mostly driven by dealers.
Old 30th November 2010, 12:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

You will need to take out a temp regn. and pay the relevant local taxes and register in your place. I am not too sure about the CV part though. I think aargee's suggestion is better, speak to Eicher.
Old 30th November 2010, 13:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the dealers are having...long distance trips will cover this difference.
Agreed, but are these both 10.90 & 10.95 both having the same tonnage capacity while 10.95 has a bit lower mileage than 10.90? Is that what you're saying?

Quote:
The customer support of Eicher...and are mostly driven by dealers.
Well it may be, but what's harm in reaching up to them?
Have you tried lodging a grievance? - Write to us

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
You will need to take out a temp regn. and pay the relevant local taxes and register in your place.
+1

The normal procedure is, take out a temp regn number & IIRC, you can also pay a temp tax which is way less than annual tax along with insurance coverage. This is to drive your vehicle to KL from the state where you purchased.

Once in KL, you'll need to pay the tax in full along with the previously obtained docos at KA/AP/TN & then obtain a permanent regn no.

I could be wrong, but the procedures are more or less the same.
Old 30th November 2010, 13:29   #7
BHPian

@aargee,

yes, Iam told that 10.90 has better mileage than 10.95

Just now wrote to Eicher. Will defenitely update the link with reply from them.

I will visit Indiranagar RTO(KA) and will obtain exact details on CV registration during early next week since Iam in Chennai now in connection with my job. The details in the posts and links provided will help me to have a backdrop for my discussions. Will keep the link updated with my findings.
Old 30th November 2010, 15:04   #8
BHPian

Dear All,

I got a call now from Regional Sales Manager of Eicher for Kerala. He told me that Eicher is trying to push 10.95 sales because it is having air brakes, which is crucial from safety point of view. He acknowledged that 10.90 is having better mileage and he will have it delivered through any dealer within three weeks in Kerala

The calls made to Eicher offices did not yield any significant breakthroughs, but the link in Eicher web provided by aargee has worked out. Iam having RSM's personal no. and anybody facing similiar issues can PM me for the no. He sounded very helpful.

Thank you all for the prompt replies.

Most Viewed