Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2010, 10:17   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I thought Volvo India camped in India almost a decade ago, that too, somewhere around 2001/02.
I remember seeing Volvo Juggernauts on NH4 (Agra Bombay Road) in 1999 when I was driving my son's car from Kanpur to Manipal. So obviously they have been here even longer.
Old 7th December 2010, 10:57   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
That was the initial news. Later, a person close with the process says its an RE bus. The bus is reportedly at ARAI for homologation already. Again, not sure of which news to believe - however, its sure that the body would be built by AZAD.

I doubt if anyone would be so interested in going for Fully-built FE buses - customers going for FE buses usually customise the product heavily.

Already 10 buses are in production which should get launched by jan 2011. It is a 54 seater with FE. A city bus variant would also be launched. Already 35 bus order has been received from PCMC. Something dynamic in braking & suspension is going to be offered.

Costing would be around 65 Lakhs.
Old 7th December 2010, 11:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
But sources indicate that its a FE bus unlike Volvo,MB.
They may be given for trial in a months time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
It is a 54 seater with FE. A city bus variant would also be launched.
I think a Blue(ish) coloured variant which I have seen is undergoing testing/homologation at ARAI.
At first I thought it was a fully built RE Isuzu (though slightly bigger), however realised that it was an unknown bus/new variant from TML/AL on seeing the engine up front.
Which MAN engine will it be using ?
Old 7th December 2010, 12:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I remember seeing Volvo Juggernauts on NH4 (Agra Bombay Road) in 1999 when I was driving my son's car from Kanpur to Manipal. So obviously they have been here even longer.
As per Volvo website, they started Bus operations in India from 2001 onwards
Link
Milestones - milestones : Volvo Buses

Volvo trucks came first & then Volvo buses.
Old 7th December 2010, 12:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
Already 10 buses are in production which should get launched by jan 2011. It is a 54 seater with FE. A city bus variant would also be launched. Already 35 bus order has been received from PCMC. Something dynamic in braking & suspension is going to be offered.

Costing would be around 65 Lakhs.
65 lakhs for a front engine bus?? Are you serious?

The order from PCMC is for the 54 seater FE or for the city bus variant?
Old 7th December 2010, 13:42   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
High Points:

- Volvo Buses in India takes the next big step: Buys out its JV partner stake. Volvo Buses India Private Limited today announced the 100% buyout of Azad Group share, its JV partner since 2008. This increases Volvo Buses stake from the current 70% to 100% ownership.

- Announces its single largest order of 100 multi-axle buses from VRL Logistics.

- The future includes an increase in production by close to 100% by 2012, catering to more export markets and to bring in products for new segments.

- Volvo Buses expects a growth of 15% - 20% overall, and the Soft services (mainly support) to give 50% of the revenue in 2013-14.

- Volvo Buses India will step up on its exports from 2011. Exports will account for 25 - 30% of total volumes of India over the next few years (currently 5%).

- Last week Volvo City Buses entered its 12th city – Mumbai. Currently, there are about 3500 Volvo Buses operating in India, both in the city and inter-city segments.
-Great move by Volvo.The 100% holding means that the Bangalore operation is bound to become the South Asia or eve a Pan Asia hub held by the parent company.This is sure to accelerate their growth out here both in volumes and in technology front esp Body front, New Model Launches.

The move by VRL seems to be in line with their plans to be Asia's Largest Logistics and Transportation provider.This will really transform their operations too as the B9R would effectively help them stretch their premium passenger operations further North from their traditional hubs in the South.

It looks like the trend observed in the Car Segment in the 90's of treating India as a Manufacturing /Export hub is catching up in the Bus Segment too.
India is a "mega growth market" by itself and a convenient hub in Asia too.

I am sure that this is a wake up call to the Industry on the Action packed decade ahead .
Old 7th December 2010, 18:54   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
As per Volvo website, they started Bus operations in India from 2001 onwards
Link
Milestones - milestones : Volvo Buses

Volvo trucks came first & then Volvo buses.
It indeed rolled out the first bus in October 2001 in India. Another link...

buses : Volvo Buses - India
Old 7th December 2010, 19:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

FE buses upwards of 50 lks is too costly.But still there are less chances that it would be priced in that category.
BTW, who is PCMC?

Last edited by Ashley2 : 7th December 2010 at 19:13.
Old 7th December 2010, 20:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
BTW, who is PCMC?
I am guessing it to be "Pimpri Chinchwad Municipal Corporation" - Force is based in the limits of PCMC. I am not sure if MAN-Force also operates from there.

PCMC had their own transport company. But now its merged with PMT (Pune Municipal Transport), and the merged entity is called PMPML (Pune Mahanagar Parivahan Mahamandal Limited). Perhaps, PMPML is the first customer for MAN buses.

But, I am skeptical about a 65 Lakh FE product. My friend says they have a RE Top-end bus - but I am not sure of this news.
Old 7th December 2010, 21:43   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Two decade ???

I thought Volvo India camped in India almost a decade ago, that too, somewhere around 2001/02
Quote:
Volvo came to India sometime in 2001~2002. Its been hardly a decade now.
That is the official entry of Volvo in India. I am pretty sure Volvo Buses were around before this official launch as Volvo. Not exactly two decades but definately earlier than 2001-02. Since i have travelled in one of them for sure.
Old 7th December 2010, 23:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Volvo Buses in India takes the next big step: Buys out its JV partner stake. Volvo Buses India Private Limited today announced the 100% buyout of Azad Group share, its JV partner since 2008. This increases Volvo Buses stake from the current 70% to 100% ownership.
When can we expect the same to happen to VECVL (Eicher, Volvo Lite)
Quote:
Perhaps, PMPML is the first customer for MAN buses..
Hopefully what Karnataka (KaSRTC and BMTC) did to Volvo, PMPML could do to MAN, even though i am personally against state SRTCs and Transport corps going after new comers. Volvo, MB, Izuzu, MAN, who is next Hino?
Old 8th December 2010, 12:31   #27
BHPian

Re: Volvo India buys out JV partner. Now owns 100% of Indian operations

Quote:
I am guessing it to be "Pimpri Chinchwad Municipal Corporation" - Force is based in the limits of PCMC. I am not sure if MAN-Force also operates from there.

PCMC had their own transport company. But now its merged with PMT (Pune Municipal Transport), and the merged entity is called PMPML (Pune Mahanagar Parivahan Mahamandal Limited). Perhaps, PMPML is the first customer for MAN buses.

But, I am skeptical about a 65 Lakh FE product. My friend says they have a RE Top-end bus - but I am not sure of this news.
PCMC is indeed pimpri chinchwad corp. as they are going to start BRT, these buses are ordered by them. these are city variants. b

65 lakhs maybe costly for a FE bus, But if it gives same comfort & noise reduction as a RE bus then its a total new game. as it would be cheaper by min 10 lakhs.
Old 8th December 2010, 14:41   #28
BHPian

Quote:
High Points:
Currently, there are about 3500 Volvo Buses operating in India, both in the city and inter-city segments.
My Worry is, I was told the FE of Volvos are 1 - 2 KMPL compared to 5-6 KMPL of existing TML / ALL buses. This directly translates in to increased pollution in our cities??
Old 8th December 2010, 15:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
That is the official entry of Volvo in India. I am pretty sure Volvo Buses were around before this official launch as Volvo. Not exactly two decades but definately earlier than 2001-02. Since i have travelled in one of them for sure.
I remember a Volvo which was directly imported from Sweden. This bus was used by Sharma on trail and then by Puzhekadavil transports between Kochi and Bangalore on alternate days. This bus also had a toilet in that I guess.
Old 9th December 2010, 08:49   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I remember a Volvo which was directly imported from Sweden. This bus was used by Sharma on trail and then by Puzhekadavil transports between Kochi and Bangalore on alternate days. This bus also had a toilet in that I guess.

And this was the bus...
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo India buys out JV partner. Now owns 100% of Indian operations-dscn4286.23.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks