Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2011, 23:04   #61
BHPian

Re: Contemplating a new intercity coach service..Need your valuable suggestions!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Deutz is a volvo subsidiary . Volvo engines are made by Deutz .
AFAIK, deutz is not any subsidiary of Volvo. Deutz was an independent company untill 1998, when the later took 10% stake in Deutz and an aggrement whereby engines upto 7L will be supplied by Deutz. And its not that Volvo engines are made by Deutz!
In India, the 7L engines on B7R are Deutz make, while those 9L ones on B9R are Volvo make.
Old 7th January 2011, 23:08   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Contemplating a new intercity coach service! Need your valuable suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
AFAIK, deutz is not any subsidiary of Volvo. Deutz was an independent company untill 1998, when the later took 10% stake in Deutz and an aggrement whereby engines upto 7L will be supplied by Deutz. And its not that Volvo engines are made by Deutz!
In India, the 7L engines on B7R are Deutz make, while those 9L ones on B9R are Volvo make.

AFAIK Volvo is having 18% stake in Deutz and jointly developed engines( tewaking the performance curves) for Volvo use.

Cheers!
Old 7th January 2011, 23:11   #63
Senior - BHPian

Re: Contemplating a new intercity coach service..Need your valuable suggestions!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
@Ashley2
Is that the engine with the highest power rating of an AL engine? Someone mentioned about Luxura with 320BHP engine - any news on that? That would be a real killer, even ready to take on Volvo and the likes if they get the mix right.
Its not a AL engine its H-series engine. Luxura with still higher HP engines will come shortly

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
OT: Did you change something in your Swifty? A new spoiler or that white stickering removed or new alloys?
Yes buddy, New Alloys and a spoiler.
Happy that you still remember by swifty
Old 7th January 2011, 23:41   #64
BANNED

[quote=binaiks;2201442]We usually sent parcels from Kerala to Bangalore through Kallada (say once in a month or so), and never have they refused to book parcels. Every time I had to send any paper or stuff to Bangalore, its always been on Kallada. Everytime they delivered on time - next day delivery was guaranteed.

Had sent a few parcels from Bangalore to Kerala, and they did not refuse them as well. In fact, I've never seen Kallada buses stopping for long time at check posts. The last time I returned from Bangalore (I took the Shama Big Bus), both my bus and the Kallada B9R to Alappuzha arrived together at the checkpost, and both the buses were cleared in less than 10 minutes.

I send parcels to most of the southern states . Bangalore to fro chennai , chennai to fro HYD , Blr to fro HYD are no fuss routes for me . Kesineni , parveen , Diwakar accept any kind of parcels and do not complain . KPN fuss about bills and after transportation ,collecting from their parcel offices is a nightmare . A couple of times I had to send parcels from BLR to Cochin and I tried Kallada . Those guys plainly refused to carry without bills and complained of sales tax check posts .

Doesn't this depend on the route? HYD-BLR is essentially an overnight service. No body would be using an individual TV for such a service (of course, there are souls who don't sleep when traveling overnight in buses). With the seat in front almost falling on to your lap, using the laptop is also ruled out. Unless the bus is designed in lines of the "Luxuria", i feel these fancy items would be rendered redundant.

I thought the OP wanted to position his service as a premium one . Plus a chemical toilet helps as the bus need not be stopped for piss intervals and chai intervals .

It would be better to spend on better upholstery (ones which might last longer and easier to clean), fresh blankets and bedspreads. May be one can offer a small pillow to make things comfortable for the passenger.

Or may be have a few 2+1 seats (say three or four rows) and the remaining 2+2 seats. A premium can be charged for the 2+1 seats.

Individual operators can be successful if the game is managed properly. A glaring example of mismanagement is Sofiya Lines (the first operator to run a B9R to Kerala) - they had to wind up after their debts grew over their head. They did not pay their agents or fuel pumps, and in the end were forced to park their buses. When they were operational, passengers had made them the first choice - over the established operators. So, its possible for a newcomer to make a dent, but play it safe so that you don't end up denting yourself.

Again , parcel booking is the main key to running a sucessful bus service . Even with full occupancy calculating per seat ticket as Rs1000 the whole bus trip can generate only Rs 30,000 .
Old 7th January 2011, 23:47   #65
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post

I had interacted with Deutz a few months earlier for the engines . My plan was source engines for a monocoque bus and that is what the Deutz top management informed me . They told me that Deutz was a subsidiary of VOLVO . Incidentally the 6 cyl 315 Hp engine costs about Rs 15 lakhs for euro 3 version and 20 lakhs for a euro4 . The difference btwn euro3 and 4 is the addition of an EGR exhaust .
Old 7th January 2011, 23:54   #66
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Almost every operator to Kerala do not accept parcel without bill. Its not just because of the operator, but the checking at Walayar check post is horrible and even they are scared of stopping the bus at check post for long time.
Hmm, dont politicians / factionists exist in kerala ? Most of the buses being operated from AP are mostly owned by politicians or factionists . If such a check post existed in Tamil nadu or AP then it would have ceased to exist by now .
Old 8th January 2011, 00:43   #67
BHPian

Quote:
I had interacted with Deutz a few months earlier for the engines . My plan was source engines for a monocoque bus and that is what the Deutz top management informed me . They told me that Deutz was a subsidiary of VOLVO . Incidentally the 6 cyl 315 Hp engine costs about Rs 15 lakhs for euro 3 version and 20 lakhs for a euro4 . The difference btwn euro3 and 4 is the addition of an EGR exhaust .
Thanks for the info greatmana..Are you a bus operatior?Or are you in the travel industry?

Again are there any agencies who deal with this kind of parcel service?? Do they come to us when we set up show? Any thoughts?

[quote=greatmana2000;2201596]
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
We usually sent parcels from Kerala to Bangalore through Kallada (say once in a month or so), and never have they refused to book parcels.

Doesn't this depend on the route? HYD-BLR is essentially an overnight service. No body would be using an individual TV for such a service (of course, there are souls who don't sleep when traveling overnight in buses). With the seat in front almost falling on to your lap, using the laptop is also ruled out. Unless the bus is designed in lines of the "Luxuria", i feel these fancy items would be rendered redundant.

I thought the OP wanted to position his service as a premium one . Plus a chemical toilet helps as the bus need not be stopped for piss intervals and chai intervals .

It would be better to spend on better upholstery (ones which might last longer and easier to clean), fresh blankets and bedspreads. May be one can offer a small pillow to make things comfortable for the passenger.

Or may be have a few 2+1 seats (say three or four rows) and the remaining 2+2 seats. A premium can be charged for the 2+1 seats.

Individual operators can be successful if the game is managed properly. A glaring example of mismanagement is Sofiya Lines (the first operator to run a B9R to Kerala) -

Again , parcel booking is the main key to running a sucessful bus service . Even with full occupancy calculating per seat ticket as Rs1000 the whole bus trip can generate only Rs 30,000 .
Ok thanks guys.

I have been trying to find a seat manufacturer who can custom make seat back entertainment systems?Does anyone have any idea?Does anyone know any operators providing this service? Any points of contact would be appreciated?
Old 8th January 2011, 01:10   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_kj View Post
1. B7R - 7 liters ---- Ex Showroom price ---- Rs 42 Lakhs
Sorry guys..excuse my mistake here.B7R costs Rs 72 Lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
One friend quoted that Volvo Luxuria service between Bangalore and Chennai is doing well.

They have only 24(?) luxury seats thus saves a lot on tax and high prices to compromise the seats.

Punctual services and stop at clean hotels can attract the customer to take the service again and again.
Thats good.SO there are definitly some buyers.But those buses are damn costly man.Heard DC charges close to 20 Crores from 12 buses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
George, while comparing expenses, (1) keep out brand names (2) stick to specifications.

In other words, compare a 120 HP engine with a 120 HP engine.

Next, see if it is feasible to position a particular product as a premium. I insist - it is the operator's marketing / positioning which does the trick. Volvo was very successful in telling the operators in India that they can actually charge differential prices for better, faster and more comfortable buses.
Thanks Backseatdriver..Yes i have been doing that..after talking to many people.Volvo has set a bechmark in the luxury travel industry.People only want to travel in volvos if they want luxury / cosider them to be premium.

I really dont have any options rite now apart from Volvo's.I dont even have any contacts to talk about tata hispano globus and AL luxura buses. The local dealers in hyderabad my brother talked to sont even know about it.

My initial calculations tell me that it would be definitly worth positioning a bus from tata or AL (offered with in 50 Lakhs) as premium.(With all the customization options that i talked about).It would be definitly worth trying because of the less risks involved.(Less financial burden)

What takes do we have to pay to play movies or videos??I am not aware of such taxes...

On the entertainment front..There are systems out there which can play movies or videos on demand.rather than all the systems/screes playing only one video..(Does not solve my purpose).But i dont know how to get them installed get them imported.

Secondly when my brother talked to Volvo he mentioned that the seats are made by a company called "Haritha".Checked their website they dont have any seat back entertainment options. And volvo does not sell buses with out seats.If we want to customize it , we have to buy the bus with the seats and then customize it and get it approved by "CART".I dont know anything about this agency.Does any of you know about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Its not a AL engine its H-series engine. Luxura with still higher HP engines will come shortly

Yes buddy, New Alloys and a spoiler.
Happy that you still remember by swifty
Ashley..Do you know when are they gonna be released?Is it expected to be launched atleast during the 1Q of 2011? What is the expected price gonna be?
Old 8th January 2011, 01:45   #69
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks for the info greatmana..Are you a bus operatior?Or are you in the travel industry?
We used to operate on the BLR - Chennai route . We were the first in the industry to offer "Air bus " . The other operators had only TVS bodies .
Currently into trucks , no more buses .

Again are there any agencies who deal with this kind of parcel service?? Do they come to us when we set up show? Any thoughts?
Yes , there are quite a few parcel services . Having your own office and logistics helps with the brand name and marketing though .

Quote:

Ok thanks guys.

I have been trying to find a seat manufacturer who can custom make seat back entertainment systems?Does anyone have any idea?Does anyone know any operators providing this service? Any points of contact would be appreciated?
My piece of advice is to get some seats imported . Make sure no one else has them . I liked the seats on Setra buses . Also include a lift /ramp/wheelchair for disabled if possible .
The biggest flaw i have seen in the Hosur based company seats is that the comfort level is pretty pathetic .

Last edited by v12 : 15th January 2011 at 23:24.
greatmana2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2011, 09:25   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm, dont politicians / factionists exist in kerala ? Most of the buses being operated from AP are mostly owned by politicians or factionists . If such a check post existed in Tamil nadu or AP then it would have ceased to exist by now .
Politicians do exist in Kerala - but of a different lot. They are more interested in fighting out to ensure that roads in Kerala are never repaired, and to get 30-metre 4-lane highways (while the rest of the nation gets 60-metre highways).

The check post guys in Kerala are a peculiar lot - they need to be bribed to get things done, but things would happen only if the papers are in order. In short, you need to be legally correct to get things done, but still pay "something".
Old 8th January 2011, 10:30   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the entertainment front..There are systems out there which can play movies or videos on demand.rather than all the systems/screes playing only one video..(Does not solve my purpose).But i dont know how to get them installed get them imported.
I feel a the possibility of passengers having the option of choosing the movie he wants to watch while travelling could be explored. This could be quite new and the same could be an USP.

Quote:
Secondly when my brother talked to Volvo he mentioned that the seats are made by a company called "Haritha".
Harita is a major seat supplier to many bus body manufactures including volvo. Better talk to them so that you can have view.
Harita have a wide range of seats and they are actually good. I am sorry that gretanama had a bad experience but with my knowledge and experience Harita seats are really good. I always think that the seats in the volvo are not that comfortable compared to the standard "Harita Premium" which is used by SMK in many buses. They are really long lasting and very comfortable.
Quote:
Checked their website they dont have any seat back entertainment options. And volvo does not sell buses with out seats.If we want to customize it , we have to buy the bus with the seats and then customize it and get it approved by "CART".I dont know anything about this agency.Does any of you know about it?
This is killer waste of money.
You can try getting seats with removal head rests unlike the conventional intergrated ones and later you can replace. But still it should be costly

Quote:
Ashley..Do you know when are they gonna be released?Is it expected to be launched atleast during the 1Q of 2011? What is the expected price gonna be?
No idea. But I know you can check it with AL dealers in your area.
Old 8th January 2011, 12:48   #72
BHPian

Talked to Tata Motors representative today.The 280 HP Tata Hispano Globus is available on order.BS 3 compatible. They dont have any direction on BS 4 compatiable buses.Its available in 36 and 43 seater configurations.He said they have also changed the suspension of the bus.Could not catch the name of some system that he was talking about.Maintainance or service is fairly cheap and it comes with 1 & 1/2 year or 1,50,000 KMS warranty.Due to the limited customers and the company trying to promote the Hispano brand , he said they offer a lot of annual maintainance plans.Did not go into details.I will be getting a broucher soon.Will update more info.

Cost ~ 70 Lakhs.

And Tata has plans to introduce a multi axle , but not until mid next year. .

Guys. is the B9R multi axle much faster that the B7R's. I know that B9's are more powerful but I mean do they go such fast that the travel time would be cut short by close to one hour or more?Do you guys have any experience or thoughts on this?

I talked to AL marketing.Concerned person was out of office today.But he said AL Luxura buses are available.He does not know much details about it though.
Old 8th January 2011, 13:31   #73
BANNED

Harita is a major seat supplier to many bus body manufactures including volvo. Better talk to them so that you can have view.
Harita have a wide range of seats and they are actually good. I am sorry that gretanama had a bad experience but with my knowledge and experience Harita seats are really good. I always think that the seats in the volvo are not that comfortable compared to the standard "Harita Premium" which is used by SMK in many buses. They are really long lasting and very comfortable.

The mechanical aspects of the seats are good , but the fit and finish , the cheap looking fibre glass covers leave a lot to be desired . I had a feeling that the back contouring had a bit of uneasiness .

Last edited by greatmana2000 : 8th January 2011 at 13:34.
Old 8th January 2011, 13:37   #74
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Politicians do exist in Kerala - but of a different lot. They are more interested in fighting out to ensure that roads in Kerala are never repaired, and to get 30-metre 4-lane highways (while the rest of the nation gets 60-metre highways).

The check post guys in Kerala are a peculiar lot - they need to be bribed to get things done, but things would happen only if the papers are in order. In short, you need to be legally correct to get things done, but still pay "something".
Oh! god .. all that needs to be done is to file an RTI against the sales tax guys and make them run . I am sorry to admit but these days I am getting my work done using the RTI as a bait .
greatmana2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2011, 13:48   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My initial calculations tell me that it would be definitly worth positioning a bus from tata or AL (offered with in 50 Lakhs) as premium.(With all the customization options that i talked about).It would be definitly worth trying because of the less risks involved.(Less financial burden)
Thats really a nice move.
you can really go ahead after trying with AL and TML.
Quote:
..... get it approved by "CART".I dont know anything about this agency.Does any of you know about it?
No idea about CART. But I know something about CIRT
CIRT was appointed by the government as an agency to test and certify vehicles; such certification was earlier done by the Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI) alone, leading to a backlog given the pace of automotive companies setting shop and the number of models being rolled out in India.

Most Viewed