Team-BHP - volvo bus rams into truck and catches fire killing 22 people
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Commercial Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/)
-   -   volvo bus rams into truck and catches fire killing 22 people (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/9543-volvo-bus-rams-into-truck-catches-fire-killing-22-people.html)

An Ahmedabad bound volvo bus rammed into a truck on the highway near Bharuch early morning yesterday and caught fire charring 22 people to death.

Unfortunately the people couldn't get out because it seems the bus has just one entry/exit point ( the main door) and the windows are sealed glass. Given this design, this was a disaster waiting to happen !!!

I recollect once while travelling to pune from mumbai in a volvo a few days back, we were on the verge of suffocation as the a/c was not working and there was no way anyone could have opened the windows...

Its really unfortunate that a brand so well known for automobile safety has been associated with a mishap like this.

ready the complete story here

http://cities.expressindia.com/fulls...?newsid=163185

~A

Wow! I have travelled just a few times in a bus in my life, but never imagined a Volvo bus not to have an emergency exit/ windows that can't be opened in case of an emergency. All this while I used to think Volvo is all about safety. Personally, I still feel flying is the safest mode of transportation when it comes to travelling between cities... No, I am not saying one should only fly, but just that flying seems to be the safest.

Read about it in the morning. Times of India have provided a visual about the crash and its occurence which is totally different from the one provided in a Gujrati news paper. One shows that the truck suddenly turned right and crashed into the fuel tank of the bus at the back, whereas other says the truck came from some lane and banged the fuel tank.

Very tragic and frieghtining to think about the conditions, the passengers must have been in, when the fire occured. The glass of the bus wouldnt break. I have observed that the 2nd or 3rd last window on the left side of the B7R has an Emergency Exit sticker on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stratos
I have observed that the 2nd or 3rd last window on the left side of the B7R has an Emergency Exit sticker on it.

Just what was bugging my mind... How can a bus made by Volvo not have an emergency exit unless the body was not designed/ made by Volvo?? This puts my mind at ease. :)

However, I still feel that the windows should be made in a way that they can be opened during an emergency.

There are emergency exits on the Volvo's. The problem is that neither the driver nor the passengers know about them or know how to operate them.

Its about time our lazy Govt. wakes up and puts down some regulations for buses. Safety information should be placed in a visible location in the bus. Its not a big thing to ask for and even though most people overlook these signs, it takes just one person to read that and help out in an emergency.

Also, on buses where the windows are sealed, there should be a small hammer placed at intervals near the windows so passengers can break the glass incase of incidents like this.

Glad that adityapd started this thread or I/we wont haev know about this exit points in a Volvo. Maybe teh opertors should train their drivers etc abt this.

and what will you do if the ac fails? Doesnt it have a sun/moon roof/opening ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rtech
Also, on buses where the windows are sealed, there should be a small hammer placed at intervals near the windows so passengers can break the glass incase of incidents like this.

The Volvo buses plying in Europe do have emergency hammers placed in windows for emergency exit. I never rode any Volvo buses in India, but there should be hammers.

Now there is an interesting points. In UK, I've seen that Volvo buses have one hammer for every 3 windows! While in Sweden, they have hammers placed besides every window!
It seems that poorer the country, less no. of hammers. So, in India it might happen that there is no hammer at all.

I personally believe that Volvo buses are not suitable for India. Those large windows are good for cold countries (they act like greenhouse to keep the bus inside hot) and not for India.

What scares me about having hammers in Indian buses is that someone might hammer the life out of another person aboard the bus. I mean look at our parliament... What creative use of microphones and chappals as weapons.

And chairs and tables and whatnot.....lol...

Anyway, I think the drivers and thw owners should be trained at least on where the exits are...and Volvo should have the sense to include more than one emergency exit in its buses.

long time since i travelled on one of those, but i remember the rear quarter glass with some mention of emergency exit mentioned in one of the inter state tourers when they were introduced here.

there was a chained metal thingie also in red, to use as hammer but then again you know us indians have amazing affinity to free goodies to take home in any trip :)

and the driver window also can be opened if i remember correct

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBoombastic
What scares me about having hammers in Indian buses is that someone might hammer the life out of another person aboard the bus. I mean look at our parliament... What creative use of microphones and chappals as weapons.

That is a distinct possibility! Besides, there'll also be those proud passengers who would display their original 'Volvo' hammer memento!

This should be acted upon imeediately by the authorities - there are an absurd number of private buses, many of them Volvos in operation.

It is not VOLVO's mistake, but the coach builder.....

coach builder works close with volvo if i remember correct

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas
......... Doesnt it have a sun/moon roof/opening ?

It does Sir,

Just after i got to know about this accident on TV, i happened to see a Volvo Bus pass from around my building. It seemed to have two of those openings on the roof, one on either side of the roof mounted A/C unit, that let in air. Problem is they didnt look big enough for passengers to pass through.

It was a very unfortunate incident this one. I wonder if any of the other cars/buses/trucks stopped to help.

The Government is imposing strict Pollution and Noise norms on cars and other Automobiles but atleast from this they should learn and start imposing stricter norms for the body/chassis construction and relese safety ratings for every new car/bus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rtech
Also, on buses where the windows are sealed

Driver has a control lever which needs to unlocked to make all the windows operational. I doubt even if the driver knows about it. The windows were sealed to avoid passengers opening the windows which will lessen the effect of the Air conditioning system. May the a clean diagram explaining the exit system and the lever should be displayed at every seat, so that passengers are aware of that. Its a one time investment.

why not make the rear side portion of the bus (where number plate is fixed) operational whith a lever to operate next to drivers seat (like we open our boot in the car). Have a rope sort of thing tied to it to pull down and close this. This serves as a good emergency exit for buses.