Team-BHP - Trivandrum gets back its sorely missed Double-Deckers!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Commercial Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/)
-   -   Trivandrum gets back its sorely missed Double-Deckers! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/98074-trivandrum-gets-back-its-sorely-missed-double-deckers.html)

Driving around the roads in Trivandrum compared to other districts had a completely different feel to it, the climate, the trees, the mounted police, the "Rajaveedhi", the Secretariat and the most awe-inspiring of them was our good old Double-Decker Buses. Including myself, majority of Tvm'ites were much saddened by the news that KSRTC is withdrawing these chariots from service because of frequent breakdowns, maintenance costs and low profit. Once while driving past East Fort Bus Station, I witnessed one of those yester-year celebrities rotting in an open space without wheels, I couldn't help but sympathize on the plight of the once sought after double-deckers. Sigh!

Looks like the good old days are finally coming back and we could once again see them rule the roads of the Capital City. Though I admit that the new ones lack the "heavy and weighted" feel of the grandpa, its still hasn't lost the charm. Now let them have their own share of the daily commutes of the working-class and the sweet air of romance on the top deck. The way it used to be, always. :)

When the new was first out on SSC , i thought we would get new age double decker like the Volvo buses, but was slightly disappointed that it looked old school.
But still it breathes nostalgia and is a VERY much welcome come back for Tvpm.

Guess the new one has a full windsheild compared to the half glass half open architecture in the older Allwyn make ones.

Ah! Lot of memories are attached with the Double Decker drive.
To sit in the front seat on the top was always a priority, and when small I used to somehow get it.

The low foot board and running on to it, all seems like yesterday.

Are these still front engined ? AL or TATA ? Any idea of the route this one will run ?

Love it! I been abroad the one one.
Think this goes to Airport-Pettah-East Fort.

Expect to see the blue bus from KSRTC soon.

My first ride in a double decker bus was in TVM back in the early 80s.
The charm of riding upstairs through the town, in these giants is something which no car can give.

This is good news. In Mumbai the Double Deckers are slowly being phased out and now mostly operate only on short routes. Sitting on the front seats at the top was the most exciting thing as a kid (even now i would do it i guess :D).

@ Scorcher - Dont worry..on of the yesteryear double decker's has been restored too and soon KSRTC will put them in service. They were withdrawn due to the 15 year time frame completion.

And yes this is an AL Titan DD...and IIRC tata never made a DD in history.

Ahhh! It brings back the childhood memories of a double decker bus. We had a lot of them in Pune, some 15-20 years back, but they were phased out. As amitwlele pointed out, I would still sit in the front seat on the top floor today given a chance :). Pune had both kinds of double decker buses, normal (with single driver cabin) and the articulated ones. As far as I can remember, until 2000 (maybe even later, but I don't recollect) we used to see them around the Corporation bus depot near P.M.C building.

Are they new ones or rebuilt/revamped? Brings in nostalgic moments of yesterdecades in me. There were two type of double deckers then. There was also a one and a half decker for a brief period which have now vanished into oblivion. I recall my trips on Sundays as a kid when my father used to take me to Pravachambalam only to come back in the same decker sitting in the top front seat.

Nice.
Now if only the driver remembers there's another bus on top!

:)

I had read some where that when double decers where first introduced in India company had announced a prize amount of Rs 5000/- for the driver who can make the bus upside. What company claims is that "however you drive it wont get upside."

Brings back sweet memories like many of you. As lalu said we always used to rush to the top floor and try to grab the front rows. Pull the window down and enjoy the air and what not in your face rides. Just for the heck of it, used to take the ride from Sasthamangalam to Palayam and back.

Journey was first introduced to me by my father, who used to take me along to Palayam in the Fiat where it will be given for water service. Then return journey in the DD. Again evening return by DD to pick up the car.

Hope they move the power lines and trim the tree branches on the proposed route, old ones used to carry lot of scars on top. Me paranoid when the power cable pass close, have to admit still gives me few nightmare. :)

Such is the association with DD. Oh the old ones were auto box, any idea about the new ones?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gold class (Post 2279881)
I had read some where that when double decers where first introduced in India company had announced a prize amount of Rs 5000/- for the driver who can make the bus upside. What company claims is that "however you drive it wont get upside."

Its not as easy as folks think it is to topple a Double-Decker and I am almost convinced that no one took home that 5000/- reward home.

Check this video out if you have any doubts remaining. Even Tiff and Jason couldn't do it :D
YouTube - Fifth Gear MCW Metrobus Dogfight!