Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Team-BHP Directory > Delhi NCR

Old 22nd September 2017, 11:15   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Car Repairs and Maintenance: Harvinder Singh & Kumar (Vasant Kunj, Delhi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepeshKarnik View Post
Finally got my car repaired from Mr. Kumar. The sound was of the broken bearings inside the gearbox. Mr. Kumar initially suggested to have the gearbox replaced but since the sound wasn't very prominent and he took note of my driving style, he said he'll open the gearbox expecting no serious damage would've been done.

Eventually I paid 3500 for labour and 2500 for spares

Attachment 1678456
Hi Deepesh

I'm glad your car got fixed. I think Rs 6000 (Including Parts and Labour) for a complete Gear Box overhaul is a very reasonable amount, and you should be happy.

The risk with most mechanics is they will not do the work in front of you and charge you for many other things and inflate the bill. Even the authorized service stations do this all the time. I'm sure if you had gone to a Maruti Authorized Workshop they would have billed much more for this job.

I have seen that these people are honest to do just what is required, and charge just for that.

About Spares I generally go to the MGP stores myself and get the spares. I do not take them along if I want to get the parts myself as their time has some value too. I think you wanted to take them along so Harvinder might have got hassled, because it takes up a lot of their time just to go with you to get the spares. I think we buy the spares from MGP stores at MRP, and if they get the parts they do get a 5-10 % discount which adds to their profit. If they go to buy spares they are spending time and fuel and taking on responsibility to get the right parts so 5-10 % discount that they get is fair. If you take them along, they spend time to go to the shops and do not get anything for that time so they do not like it.

But be rest assured, if they have told you they used MGP parts, it is sure that they would have used genuine parts. For me a lot of times they get parts, and if on any occasion they get a part which is not from the Manufacturer they always tell me and charge accordingly. There have been occasions when I have seen them go to MGF Toyota and get Toyota genuine spares at MRP from there for Toyota Engine Overhauls. The same parts are available much cheaper in original Toyota packing in Palika Bhawan but since they are not sure they get the parts from MGF toyota at MRP. And this was when the customer totally left it on them and they could easily save a lot of money by buying cheaper spares.

I would suggest if in future you want to get your own parts, just take samples and go by yourself to the MGP store and get the parts. Else if you want them to get the parts you will have to trust them and let them have the 5-10 % margin on the parts.

Styler.

Last edited by Styler : 22nd September 2017 at 11:24.
Styler is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2017, 14:38   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Car Repairs and Maintenance: Harvinder Singh & Kumar (Vasant Kunj, Delhi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Hi Deepesh

I'm glad your car got fixed. I think Rs 6000 (Including Parts and Labour) for a complete Gear Box overhaul is a very reasonable amount, and you should be happy.
Hello Amit ji,

I am more than just happy about how my car drives now and the money I spent on getting it to be that way. 6k is a very decent amount. I can't thank you enough for sharing such a marvelous garage.

Quote:
The risk with most mechanics is they will not do the work in front of you and charge you for many other things and inflate the bill. Even the authorized service stations do this all the time. I'm sure if you had gone to a Maruti Authorized Workshop they would have billed much more for this job.

I have seen that these people are honest to do just what is required, and charge just for that.
I would agree with that. My whole point of travelling to and fro from Rohini to Vasant Kunj for a gearbox overhaul was their quality of work and honesty

Quote:
About Spares I generally go to the MGP stores myself and get the spares. I do not take them along if I want to get the parts myself as their time has some value too. I think you wanted to take them along so Harvinder might have got hassled, because it takes up a lot of their time just to go with you to get the spares. I think we buy the spares from MGP stores at MRP, and if they get the parts they do get a 5-10 % discount which adds to their profit. If they go to buy spares they are spending time and fuel and taking on responsibility to get the right parts so 5-10 % discount that they get is fair. If you take them along, they spend time to go to the shops and do not get anything for that time so they do not like it.

But be rest assured, if they have told you they used MGP parts, it is sure that they would have used genuine parts. For me a lot of times they get parts, and if on any occasion they get a part which is not from the Manufacturer they always tell me and charge accordingly. There have been occasions when I have seen them go to MGF Toyota and get Toyota genuine spares at MRP from there for Toyota Engine Overhauls. The same parts are available much cheaper in original Toyota packing in Palika Bhawan but since they are not sure they get the parts from MGF toyota at MRP. And this was when the customer totally left it on them and they could easily save a lot of money by buying cheaper spares.
I did not have problem with them buying the parts or the margin they get. But when Harvinder reacted so strange, I was taken by surprise and doubt!!! I was talking to Mr. Kumar if it was possible to buy the spares on my credit card instead of cash since I was there the whole day and was unclear when and who would get the spares. Harvinder replied back in a high pitch. That is when I lost my trust in Harvinder.

Quote:
I would suggest if in future you want to get your own parts, just take samples and go by yourself to the MGP store and get the parts. Else if you want them to get the parts you will have to trust them and let them have the 5-10 % margin on the parts.

Styler.
I hope you understand, it is ONLY because of the trust that I went to them and have no concerns with the margin they can have on buying the parts from MGP stores. I was willing to pay them anything they asked, but Harvinder came across as money minded since he stepped in to only talk about costs, money etc. whilst Mr. Kumar, who did all the work never spoke to me about the money. I hope as my association grows with them, my mindset for Harvinder changes.

Thank you once again Amit ji ! Mr. Kumar is a wonderful technician.
DeepeshKarnik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2017, 21:06   #18
BHPian

Recently, while travelling from Agra, I experienced engine stutter in my Linea after driving away from a toll booth. The check engine light would flash intermittently but no message on MID. On stopping at traffic signals, RPM needle was doing a +-20 RPM dance. The stutter was happening only during acceleration (fuel demand for power). I thought this could be bad fuel thing, but didn't vanish on refill.

On reaching Delhi, gave a call to Mr Harvinder Singh. He told me Kumar was on leave due to some death in family and would be available after 4 days. I decided to wait as going to nearest FASS is a time consuming process for me.

After Kumar's arrival, took the car to him. On doing a test drive, he diagnosed it with faulty fuel filter. That made sense. Since Harvinder and Kumar don't store any spare, he asked me to get new fuel filter, four spark plugs and air filter.

Ordered these parts from 99rpm. Cost, including delivery was 1760 bucks. Took the parts to the workshop. All parts were changed within 30 mins. Test drive, stutter gone. He charged me 500 bucks.

Nothing can be better. Quick diagnosis, fast work and cheap labour. Full marks to Harvinder and Kumar.
NutsNBolts is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2018, 23:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

Let me share my positive experience.

Thanks to this thread, I went to Mr Kumar.

I called him and asked him if I can come to show my car, he said that he can see the car.

There had been a sound coming from the engine bay area, like a machine gun. I had got it checked at the Hyundai authorised service center for my Santro Xing, for which they gave me a quote of 24k. I had politely thanked them for the quote and went on my way that day.

When I reached Mr Kumars place, thanks to google maps (though it showed me the path via a jungle, with offroading). Mr Kumar looked at the problem and said that he needs to investigate and needs some time. He asked me not to drive the car for long distance and he will call me back when he has some bandwidth.

Since this problem had been for a few months, I continued driving my car for long distance (in city) and waited for a call from Mr Kumar. After waiting for nearly 2.5 weeks, I called Mr Kumar about his time. He told me to come next day, I asked him if he has time. He told me that he will manage. On this I told him that I will come on Saturday as I would want to be there when work is being done.

I went on 17th Mar to his workshop, he had stepped out for some procurement, his helper was waiting for me. The assistant started working and when I asked him, he told me that Mr Kumar had briefed him on what to check. After taking out the belts (by that time Mr Kumar also reached), they came to a conclusion that it was power steering pump that was causing the issue.

Since they didnt had anything like that in stock and new one costs upwards of 10k, Mr Kumar suggested that this he will ask Sardarji (as he calls him) to get from Mayapuri for me, and which will be tested for functionality too.

I agreed, meanwhile, since Mr Kumar had got all timing belts for my car (thinking that it could be the culprit), I got timing belts changed (car had run around 1L kms since last timing belt change)

The cost was 3.7k (including labour)

Around 21st Mar, I got a call from Mr Kumar that they have got the part from Mayapuri and I can come as per my convenience. I thanked him and said that I will be there on Sat, 24th Mar.

I went to their workshop on 24th, there were a few cars already being worked upon. A corolla altis AT getting servicing and also shockers changed. I was given a chair to sit.

I waited for it to get over and after that the work on my car started, the problem making pump was taken out and the second hand pump reinstalled, power steering oil added and the car was started. Voila, the noise was gone and the car was silent. I couldnt believe my ears, it had been a few years for me to hear the sound which had been growing in volume and now it just disappeared.
I took a test drive, went to ATM and paid the charges to Mr Kumar, cost 2.7k, by mistake I gave him 0.5k more, total cost - 3.2k.

The best thing is the solutions are affordable, no fleecing, very genuine hands on person. Practical solutions are provided which are comfortable to the pocket.

The old power steering pump is not making noise like my car original pump was making, but its making a very slight noise, which can be termed as car engine noise as well.

I am pleased to find Mr Kumar via this thread and got solution to a problem which had been troubling me for around 4 years and 40k kms and was asked exorbitant amount from Hyundai service center.

Now, I am going to get my car serviced also via Mr Kumar. My car will no longer see Hyundai service center and will be visiting Mr Kumar for all the requirements.

Also, the high beam of the car wasn't working though bulbs were fine. Mr Harvinder found the issue due to a fuse and replaced it. So, other problem also solved.

For electrical problems Mr Harvinder.
For Mechanical issues Mr Kumar.

The combo makes up for all issue one can have with the car.

Good find and share. Thanks to team-bhp.
tanwaramit is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote