Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Delhi NCR

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2010, 00:26   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by godog View Post
my two pence, something i will elaborate with pics later. Take your vehicle to Pandit Sr.
Avoid Prakul Pandit. Have had a horrendous experience with him. Shocking, since it imploded the 'Pandit & Co.' reputation I had read about here, on this very thread.
Wow. This is certainly the first. I'd really like to see & read about what happened.

As a matter of fact I have always gone to Pandit Sr. 8 years ago Pandit Sr was complaining to my dad that his son (I am assuming he only has one son, Prakul) did not even want to join his business and maybe things did not work out for him so he is left with no option (I would kill to be left with no option but work with cars) but work with his father. Maybe since he is not as passionate about cars, it could be the reason for your bad experience. Anyway.
Cheers.
And do let us all know soon. I am real curious.
Old 18th July 2010, 09:36   #32
Senior - BHPian

what was the issue ? This is the right thread to put upon experiences, whether good or bad about them.

Do let us know, waiting for it.
Old 23rd July 2010, 01:52   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
My brother has met Prakul twice and he was praising him but your experience in on the contrary. If you feel comfortable, can you please share the experience with us?

By the way, what's the first name of Pandit Sr.?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Wow. This is certainly the first. I'd really like to see & read about what happened.

As a matter of fact I have always gone to Pandit Sr. 8 years ago Pandit Sr was complaining to my dad that his son (I am assuming he only has one son, Prakul) did not even want to join his business and maybe things did not work out for him so he is left with no option (I would kill to be left with no option but work with cars) but work with his father. Maybe since he is not as passionate about cars, it could be the reason for your bad experience. Anyway.
Cheers.
And do let us all know soon. I am real curious.
Over a month since I erupted in agony over what transpired at the holy grail of Car Pain Jobs. Prakul took the 't' out of paint, at least in my case.

I took a long time before I wrote about my experience at Pandit's thinking time would wash away the agony, at least in part. I can say it has only done the opposite. If you have gone through my posts, you will by now know that I 'test' out every commercial establishment by placing a small order with them before I buy / place orders for a large amount. I tell myself that I am 'dipping my toes' into the commercial establishment in question. And so it was with Pandit & Co.

As soon as this thread came up, which I reckon was early June, I had made up my mind that I would get my Daily Drive serviced from them. I took the i10 (see Garage), landed at their place at 2ish in the noon. I had called prakul, partly because I needed directions to this obscure place, and thus I spoke to him about what I wanted done.

Now, all along when I was with Junior, I could hear the praise lavished on this thread ringing in my ears. I was in the car while he took it out for a test, and I thought "Wow, I'm sitting next to a demi-god!". His nonchalance had no effect on my enthusiasm. On the other hand, he had started to grow stiff upper lips by now. After the test drive, I was taken to his office where a summary cum estimate was prepared, and my bill totaled around 4k. This is for a 2 year old, 20,000 km old i10.

A Routine Job.

Now, big mouth as I am, I could not help but blurt out that I needed a center arm-rest to be fabricated (needed, for I have a troubled back), as the i10's center console does not allow fitting a generic one. I regretted the statement as soon as I had said it, for I knew I was here only to test the water. Prakul's response was a dim-eyed shrug; as if to say 'I resurrect ancient Rolls Royces'. We discussed what it'll be, the intended design and he drew some shapes with his hand in the air. I specifically remember the words 'wooden base' and 'will be covered in PU'.

I was overjoyed! My hunt for an arm rest would finally yield!

I was told I can expect the car the next day by 1pm. And promptly so, I got a call the next day, I guess around 12, that it'll be ready on time.

... I landed up at 3ish, and this is what I was presented with:
Attached Thumbnails
Bodywork and Paint - Pandit & Co. (Delhi)-25062010081-ed.jpg  

Last edited by godog : 23rd July 2010 at 02:00.
Old 23rd July 2010, 02:32   #34
BHPian

Quote:

The next day I landed up at 3ish, and this is what I was presented with:
I don't know about you, but ever since I laid my eyes on that thing, it yelled "State Roadways Bus" instead of "Sublime Craftsmanship".

My instant reaction was disbelief, I could not recollect conversing about hideous thingamajigs being set-up in my car. Prakul had a way to reassure me. His exact words were "keep it for a few days. If you don't like it I'll take it back off; No Issues."

Can anyone guesstimate what I was made to pay for that martian octopus? Lets just say there are cell phones available for half that. And Haryana Roadways has better arm-rests. Just have a look at the "attention to detail":
Bodywork and Paint - Pandit & Co. (Delhi)-25062010075.jpg

My better half said 'he looks like a decent guy; he'll honor his word." Can't doubt her too, can I?

I went along with the ride. But as evening turned to night, I was angry with myself at having made this ridiculous decision. I had paid by now. And once the money's traded hands, you'll begin to see different faces. Always.

But this is not what I'm ranting about... the real ordeal was yet to come.

The next day, our holy god of paintjobs' work came to light. I was on Surajkund Road, a twisty section of autobahn-like surface quality, single lane carriageway. As soon as I enter Delhi, the car starts acting like it is haunted.

The speedo swings about with gay abandon. 20. 60. 120. 0.

I have my foot on the throttle, but engine-bhai says "na-da". The RPMs drop for no reason. And then we're back. Just like that.

The steering loses all weight. Not that it had much to start with.

At this point I was horrified. Petrified. It was a twisty but fast road. No help would be forthcoming for at least half an hour if something happened here. We crawled out of that section, and just as suddenly as they'd come, the problems vanished. Just like that.

I took her back to Jr, who had the same cocky air as last evening, (maybe worse I couldn't tell). By the 30th second in the car, he had lost his nerve as well. He let out a good ** word ** when I showed him that the problems vanished as soon as you switched the aircon off. He dropped us at an autostand and told us there was "no place for you to wait". The office and the shed notwithstanding.

To be sure, I had to press the urgency of having a good car ready in time for him to commit that he'll "look into it", but he still didn't "promise it'll be ready by 5pm (closing time) today". I had to push my case ust to make him pop the hood to take a peek.

We went to a nearby market and shopped for a couple hours. Back by late evening in that 48 degree C heat, in an open-air rick, we were told that "a couple of connectors were loose. I had them disconnected and then reconnected again; I drove around for a bit and it didn't act up".

Well thats mighty good news!

Except for the fact that I recently noticed the speedo making the same movements.

Surely we've come to the end of the ordeal?

Oh no... The Armrest...
Old 23rd July 2010, 03:11   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Surely we've come to the end of the ordeal?

Oh no... The Armrest...
Now I understand that "a few days" is a loose term and I shouldn't have taken liberties. I took it to mean 3-4 days. I went there on the 5th, which was asap considering academic compulsions. I asked Jr to remove the thing. I had it in mind to get my money back, and not settle for a replacement. Somehow, I got myself into an argument with Prakul about how I had been presented with a "tried and tested thing" and I was not impressed with it. I had taken too much time. I should have been satisfied with that thing. Nevermind that this was absolutely not what we had discussed when the arm-rest subject had cropped up during out first meeting.

I was now offered a 'utility box'. I was such a nincompoop to not know that the two things are different. I was shown a 'utility box' in his contessa. Incidentally his own staff referred to it as an arm rest. Ok! Now this is what I had wanted all along! (Wait a minute. Did we not discuss and draw this in the air that day?)

"It'll cost you extra."
(are you ** kidding me?) "ok. how much?"
"2400"
"ok. please dont make it in black."

what ensued was one of the most frustrating arguments I have had in my entire life. It centred on the Shade of Beige that would be used.

Now I was not a fussy guy. I couldn't even tell Black from Jet Black. I am now!

After all the haranguing, you would assume I would get a finely engineered 'utility box' right? No, I would get "I'll call you".

"ok I'll Pay the extra money."

...colour of beige debate ensues...

"by when can you get it ready?"

"I'll Call You."

A week passes I get no calls. I re-read the first ten posts on this thread. Possibly ten times over. All is hallowed once again. I call again, and speak in Hindi, maybe something got lost in language. Maybe my angrezi is dheeli. All is hunky-dory. I land up on a specified morning after calling a day before, because Sir has to fit me into his schedule. His carpenter suggests we chop the centre console so the new improved wooden armrest can fit. I agree, but think to myself that any 500 rupee generic armrest will fit once thats done.

w.t.h. just continue.

I am supposed to come back at 5 pm to recieve an armrest that is supposed to be nearly pre-fabricated, because they've taken measurements from another i10 and have the wooden base ready. 7 hours to paste the inside with padding and the exterior with PU.

I return at the appointed time and the mechanic is as cocky as Jr has been all along. I get in to the car which smells like what I know as "thinner". I open the 'utility box' and what do I see? The hand brake lever.

The 'BOX' has no floor. The carpenter pulls prakul to my car, which is at the farther end from his office. He sits down, and makes some noises. Looks up at me and by now I'm staring. A month is enough to bring me to my wits' end. He darts back to the carpenter and asks him to get a floor ready. I am made to wait another hour for it. When I get my car back at 6:40 pm, the 'utility box' has a, Believe it or Not, movable floor made from some flexible, cloth like material.

Would you like to hear the excuse plonked at me this time?

"As it is the box is so small you can't keep anything in there. Its useless. So its unlikely that you'll ever keep anything in there."

So theres no need to have a rigid floor? I am left speechless.

Jr. asks me something about "are you satisfied with it?" I look at him just to see if he's pulling my leg. Nop. He's dead serious.

All I can muster is "are you satisfied with it?"

He brushes me away, asks something in return.

I insist, "are you ok with it?"

"Yes".

This guy has the balls, man.

I am sure you will read this someday, Prakul. And this is an open forum. Tell us if there is an iota of half-truths or full lies in these 3 posts.

To end the note, though. Pandit & Co. has some darn neat paint jobs. m4ugr8 said it best.

Get your father/grandfather's favourite car repainted while Senior is still around.
Old 23rd July 2010, 10:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

Not that I have had any experience with Pandit. But a friend recently did. The glorious paint (which is a Pandit signature) has cracked in 3 foot long lines at a couple of places.

Jr is known to be arrogant, but that is him.

Someone posted that their paint jobs or otherwise are 10 to 20% more than the market rates, they are not.

My friend never made a noise as he hardly ever uses that particular car. But I do know he paid an arm & a leg to get the car done, and the job took forever (8-10 months) if not more.

Pandit's reputation is well founded, but the "attitude" of Jr is "I am too good - so take it or leave it"

Wish the qualities of senior had rubbed off on the younger one !!
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:44   #37
Senior - BHPian

godog, sorry to hear your experience.

So finally what is it ? You have it or is it removed ? Can you share a picture of it ?

Now you guys have got me tensed.
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:45   #38
BHPian

Meh,

The last few posts are a turnoff. All it takes is 1 unsatisfied customer to ruin ones rep.

Sincerely hope that Pandit Sr is reading this and would try his best to resolve the situation.

Godog, can you post pictures of the final product now handed to you ?

- Thanks
Old 23rd July 2010, 13:10   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhound View Post
Meh,

The last few posts are a turnoff. All it takes is 1 unsatisfied customer to ruin ones rep.

Sincerely hope that Pandit Sr is reading this and would try his best to resolve the situation.

Godog, can you post pictures of the final product now handed to you ?

- Thanks
Yes I will. I am currently not in the same city as the car. I should get the pics by monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
godog, sorry to hear your experience.

So finally what is it ? You have it or is it removed ? Can you share a picture of it ?

Now you guys have got me tensed.
I have the wooden one.

I forgot to add the cherry on top. In the process of fitting the second arm rest, the hand brake electricals have been muddled. Now the brake light does not pop-up on the dash, and one can drive around with the hand brake engaged for quite a while before realizing why the car won't accelarate as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Not that I have had any experience with Pandit. But a friend recently did. The glorious paint (which is a Pandit signature) has cracked in 3 foot long lines at a couple of places.
Now that is just the last straw.

Last edited by godog : 23rd July 2010 at 13:21.
Old 23rd July 2010, 18:03   #40
BHPian

Many moons ago

A few years ago I used to have a part of my salary lumped as monthly car allowance or maintenance. So i took the bolero across for a service and met senior. He took a test drive and told me that the car drives a little heavy in second gear. I was all awed by the shop and all asked him to take care of it. He told me that he would clean the engine, the jets and all by gargling the oil, then he would an additive like flubber...'you can now drive for 500 miles without an oil change...' I was thrilled to bits. The bill almost gave me a coronary but I staggered away with the jeep. It drove very well and so I guess I shouldn't complain but a few warning flags did go up when I mentioned the engine heating up sr talked about adding a fan inside it. Errr it already had a fan inside. Anyway that was okay.
Yearning to do something new now, I called junior about making the ole bolero into a scorpio (change the engine for me...will ya?), he refused outright, good call. Then I said make it look like a Stinger and he says can do but it'll cost five lakhs...ummm I 'm bad at math but I realised that I should forget it and go for a new Bolero instead.
So I'm sure somethings are a little off.

Regards,

Chaunfa
Old 24th July 2010, 10:05   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaunfa View Post
then he would an additive like flubber...'you can now drive for 500 miles without an oil change...' I was thrilled to bits. The bill almost gave me a coronary but I staggered away with the jeep. It drove very well
I've had good experiences with this additive. Its a ukrainian product called "XADO".
Old 24th July 2010, 12:33   #42
BHPian

I G P.m.

Quote:
disgruntled mr singh
dear sir,

sorry to hear about your bad experience with us at pandit & co. I do agree that the second arm rest was not allright at all. If you do remember, i haven't taken that extra money which you so emphatically stressed on in your blog. Also if there are problems with the hand brake adjustment would be happy to correct it. I can take the arm rest off and reimburse your money back.
regds
prakul pandit
Arrogant Mr. Prakul Pandit.

Dear Sir,

The time for apologies, corrections and re-imbursements has long passed. I suggest you get off your high horse. I am sorry I did not mention that you couldn't extract 600 rupees more out of me, for something that was promised at 1800 in the first place.

If you think, to this day, that I would have the kind of brash machismo (that you're trying to display by PMing such a response) and bring my car to you for readjustments for the FIFTH time, you need to seriously reconsider your call.

Take the responsibility Prakul, I had a bad experience with you and no one else at Pandit&Co.

And I'm not going back there if its the last paint-shop in the world, as long as you sit there with the attitude you have. The least you could've done was to have replied to me publically, instead of insinuating me in private, YET AGAIN.

Then again, you've always been like this. I should've known better.

Last edited by godog : 24th July 2010 at 12:37.
Old 24th July 2010, 20:51   #43
BHPian

Whoa. I wonder if Prakul's dad knows what his son is doing to the reputation he has built for Pandit & Co. I suppose no one who reads this thread is going to deal with Prakul any longer. I have never dealt with any one but Pandit Sr. How about from now on all members only go to the Sr (if at all) and see how the experience pans out?
Condolences to you godog. I know how infuriating it is to feel gypped when something related to your car doesn't work out nicely.
Old 25th July 2010, 00:52   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Whoa. I wonder if Prakul's dad knows what his son is doing to the reputation he has built for Pandit & Co. I suppose no one who reads this thread is going to deal with Prakul any longer. I have never dealt with any one but Pandit Sr. How about from now on all members only go to the Sr (if at all) and see how the experience pans out?
Condolences to you godog. I know how infuriating it is to feel gypped when something related to your car doesn't work out nicely.
It turns out Prakul Pandit hasn't left newbie status, and thus is not able to reply in this section.
Request mods to make an exception please. Let Prakul say what he wants to say over here, instead of having to PM me.

@Viraat, I had wished time would wash away some of that feeling. I don't know how effective that strategy was, but Pandit Jr. still feels I was blinded by anger when I wrote this piece.

@Prakul: It is uncharacteristic of me to stay angry at someone for more than a day, even in extreme cases. Your case certainly has aroused an exception to the rule.
Old 25th July 2010, 01:50   #45
BHPian

Quote:
@Viraat, I had wished time would wash away some of that feeling. I don't know how effective that strategy was, but Pandit Jr. still feels I was blinded by anger when I wrote this piece.
Man. I wish the same way. I still resent the owner of a particular garage who overcharged me for my car battery (by 1K) when I needed it in a hurry. And that happened like 3 years ago!

Prakul needs to learn some humility and needs to take a large slice of humble pie if he still believes the job he did was 'okay'.

But all said and done, hopefully this will act as a kick in the appropriate place to make Pandit & Co as good as it always was.

Most Viewed