Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Delhi NCR
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2014, 11:38   #16
BHPian

Re: Car Air-conditioning - Cooldays Car AC (Lajpat Nagar-I, New Delhi)

Hi,

My 2004 Non-CRDE Scorpio has gone to Manjit Singh's workshop for the second time yesterday. Earlier last year I had got the AC Serviced with the Cooling coil cleaned (Without Dismantling).
On a trip to Chandigarh from Delhi on Saturday, suddenly the AC stopped working. I stopped at the Mahindra Workshop on the highway in Karnal, and the mechanic there told me that the Gas had leaked, and the leak will have to be checked and that would take time. I did not want to spend too much time as it was a day trip so I drove without the AC and got back home late Sat Night.
I called up Manjit Singh Ji on Sat evening and fixed a time for Sunday 10.00 am to get the AC checked.
Sunday 10.00 am I was there at his workshop. Manjit also arrived in 10 mintures.
On a initial examination they figured out that the Compressor Oil Seal had leaked, and obviously the Gas had leaked from somewhere.
The compressor was dismantled and the Cooling coil was pressurized to check for leaks.
While I was there they told me that the bearing and oil-seal of the compressor would be changed and the compressor would be good after filling oil.
The cooling coil pressure was going down, so it was concluded that the cooling coil had leaked and would also have to be changed.
I left around 12.30 told them to go ahead and change the Cooling Coil and fix the Compressor. Cooling coil Change requires the whole dash-board to be dismantled and it takes time. Manjit told me that they would finish the job on Sat itself even if they have to work till late. I left at 12.30 pm after telling Manjit not to worry about what the expense was and go ahead and do the best possible job.
Since they were working till late, I told them that I would pick-up the Car on Monday (today). I just got a call from Majit that they had completed the work, but when they started the car the heater coil has leaked it seems. There was no coolant leakage when I gave the car, but it is possible that while fixing etc the heater coil developed a leak. The dashboard will have to be dismantled again to fix this. He was asking me if I needed to get that done now or later.
I just need a thorough complete job done so I told them to take their time, not to worry about expenses, and just fix the hearing coil too.
Manjit has not told me that they will now give me the car tomorrow.
SS-Traveller Sir it will be nice if you can Call Manjit, and put in a word for the Green Scorpio he is working on, and tell him to just fix whatever is required without bothering about expenses. It will be nice if you can give me your number in a pm.
I am hoping that everything will be fixed eventually in a day or two.

Styler
Old 14th April 2014, 17:27   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
...2004 Non-CRDE Scorpio...
...it will be nice if you can Call Manjit, and put in a word...
Ten years of the aircon system never having been serviced does take its toll, though I am amazed that it kept on working efficiently till now.

Manjeet says both the cooling coil and the cabin radiator have rotted through, so he'll now replace the cabin radiator as well (the cooling coil was replaced already). He's also been instructed about extra insulation around the pipes going through the firewall.

He's snowed under with work currently with the onset of summer, but I expect him to have your aircon system running as good as new soon. Give him some extra time as required.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 18:02   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Ten years of the aircon system never having been serviced does take its toll, though I am amazed that it kept on working efficiently till now.

Manjeet says both the cooling coil and the cabin radiator have rotted through, so he'll now replace the cabin radiator as well (the cooling coil was replaced already). He's also been instructed about extra insulation around the pipes going through the firewall.

He's snowed under with work currently with the onset of summer, but I expect him to have your aircon system running as good as new soon. Give him some extra time as required.

Thanks SS-Traveller. The AC worked flawlessly for 10 years even though I almost always drove my Scorpio with the AC on. I did get the AC serviced once every 2 years.

Age and usage does take it's toll, and it had to fail someday. When it has served me so well for 10 years without a problem, I don't mind spending money to get it fixed as well as I can.

I told Manjit to take his time, and I am in no rush. I also told him that he should just go ahead and replace whatever requires replacement.

Thanks once again for speaking to him.

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 14th April 2014 at 18:05.
Old 14th April 2014, 21:41   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I did get the AC serviced once every 2 years.
I am given to understand the dashboard has never been taken out and the cooling coil and cabin heater cleaned thoroughly before. The factory fitment marks were all there.
Old 15th April 2014, 08:37   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I am given to understand the dashboard has never been taken out and the cooling coil and cabin heater cleaned thoroughly before. The factory fitment marks were all there.
Oh if you mean taking out the cooling coil, that has never been done before. The dashboard has never been taken out before.
Last year I went to Manjit's workshop and requested him to take out the coil, but Suresh told me at that time, that they would rather clean up the cooling coil without removing the dashboard. They took the Scorpio to the nearby 2 wheeler service guy who had a pressure hose, and 2 of them got in from either side into the car and washed the cooling coil without removing it. They put plastics and all to prevent the Carpet from getting wet and it worked out well. The Carpet did get wet but dried out in a couple of days.
That was better than taking the whole dashboard out - Desi Jugaar worked well.
Anyways the good news is that Manjit called me late last night and told me that there was a problem with the heater coil clamp and they did not need to replace it. It is fixed and after he takes a test drive in the morning I will be going to pick up the Scorpio today.
As the dashboard removal is a complex job, I am just hoping that it has been fixed back properly and wont cause any unnecessary rattles..
Thanks for your help
Styler
Old 15th April 2014, 16:05   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...not to worry about what the expense was and go ahead and do the best possible job.
Quote:
...Manjit called me late last night and told me that there was a problem with the heater coil clamp and they did not need to replace it.
@Styler: I am appalled to learn from your phone call that you now accuse Manjeet of 'stealing' or 'changing' the AC knobs / panel of a 10+-year-old Scorpio, where you gave the vehicle to him to repair without worrying about expenses.

If indeed he was crooked, he'd have told you that he had changed the cabin radiator, and billed you for it - and you wouldn't have been any the wiser. I have known this man for many years, and he comes with impeccable background references too, he has worked on my cars many times and I have had no reason to doubt his integrity at any point of time.

It therefore sounds implausible that he would 'steal' or 'change' minor components such as the AC knobs or front panel. If they have been damaged in any way while opening and refitting them, you can ask him to replace/repair the same - which he appears quite willing to do - but accusing him of theft repeatedly is not justified IMO.
Old 15th April 2014, 20:08   #22
BHPian

Quote:
@Styler: I am appalled to learn from your phone call that you now accuse Manjeet of 'stealing' or 'changing' the AC knobs / panel of a 10+-year-old Scorpio, where you gave the vehicle to him to repair without worrying about expenses.

If indeed he was crooked, he'd have told you that he had changed the cabin radiator, and billed you for it - and you wouldn't have been any the wiser. I have known this man for many years, and he comes with impeccable background references too, he has worked on my cars many times and I have had no reason to doubt his integrity at any point of time.

It therefore sounds implausible that he would 'steal' or 'change' minor components such as the AC knobs or front panel. If they have been damaged in any way while opening and refitting them, you can ask him to replace/repair the same - which he appears quite willing to do - but accusing him of theft repeatedly is not justified IMO.
Dear SS-Traveler,

First I would like to thank you for your help, and sorry for bothering you by calling you.

I did tell Manjit to change whatever requires changing and I stood by it. He made a total bill of Rs 15,300 and I had paid him advance 6,000 and paid him the total balance amount of Rs 9300 today without negotiating down even a single rupee, even though a lot of issues remaining which he has promised to resolve.

First of all I didn't accuse him of stealing anything, I told him that the AC panel (with all the Knobs) looks changed. As you know my Dashboard has never been opened, and this was the first time it was opened to replace the cooling coil.

My Direction Control Knobs were working flawlessly and all knobs were scratchless when I gave the Scorpio. When I went to take it back, the whole panel including the 3 Knobs was badly scratched and worn out, and the markings around the knobs looked totally stained, totally unlike what they were. Anyways Manjit told me that the guys working could be careless and could have scratched the knobs badly while dismantling the Dashboard 2-3 times that they had to. Since there is too much dirt when the dashboard is opened he told me that that probably had dirtied the dials around the knobs and it was due to this I felt it was swapped. Moreover the flow control knob which was working perfectly when I gave him the Scorpio is not working properly and turns a full 360 degrees instead of the 4 points where it is supposed to rest. All the knobs were loose and falling out when I went and checked the Scorpio. I still give him the benefit of doubt.

Now Manjit has told me they will fix my AC Panel or source a new one when Suresh comes back.
I told him I was willing to pay for a new panel if it can be sourced. I called up all the Mahindra Service Centers in Delhi but unfortunately the Old Panel which uses wires is not available anywhere. One MASS told me that we might find it in Kashmiri Gate if we take the old sample.

I was ready to leave the Scorpio there today for them to fix the panel knobs but he was doubtful that Suresh would be back and told me to take the Scorpio and get it back in a few days when Suresh will be back.

I don't know if this is positive or negative but I am putting here my unbiased feedback of Manjit's workshop.

Manjit seems to be a good guy but his workers screw a lot of things for him.

Here is the chain of events till now :

1 .My Scorpio's cooling had stopped and I had taken it to Manjit for a checkup on Sunday morning 10.00 am. My scorpio was the only vehicle there and so they working on it till i left.

2. They checked and told me the cooling coil has a leak and needs to be changed. There are 2 types of Cooling coils one is for 5600 and the other is for 7800. It turned out that my Scorpio had the expensive one. They also told me that they need to change the bearing, oil seal of the Compressor and add oil to it.

3. I gave them the go ahead and Rs 6,000 advance and left the place. He told me that they will finish the job till late evening.

4. Sunday evening I spoke to Manjit and he told me it is taking time and they will finish at about 10.30 pm. I told him not to rush, I was in no hurry and they could take their time. I will speak to him on Monday Morning before coming.

5. Monday Morning Manjit told me they had fitted everything but when they started the engine the Coolent leaked from the Heating coil and it is perhaps leaking and requires a change. He told me that I could get it done later, and they would have perhaps bypassed the coolent flow in the radiator coil, but I insisted that I want the complete job done even if take a few more days. Kindly note there was no leak from the heating coil when I gave the scorpio, but I did not doubt him at all and told him to not worry about expenses and go ahead and change it. He said that they will keep the car for another day and return it on Tuesday, and I said no problems.

6. Monday Evening Manjit called me and told me that the Scorpio was ready and I could pick it up in the morning. He told me that the Heating coil was fine, but there was a problem in the clamps which caused the leakage and they have fixed it now.

7. I called in the morning, told him to recheck everything and I would go by lunch time.
I reached at around 2.30 pm today at his workshop and when I checked I found the following issues.
1. The Dashboard, and the AC Knobs were badly scratched and soiled. The Airflow control knob was not working and turning full 360 degrees. All the knobs were loose and falling out. I was unable to believe that this was my panel and did tell him that this looks like it has been swapped.
2. I had removed the front panel of my 3 month old pioneer music system and put it in the back seat. His guys had put it back, perhaps to listen to music and now it has a long scratch running through the center of the screen.
3. When I took a test ride, the Steering Wheel Center was out by 60 degrees. I got that turned but is still not precisely centered as it was originally. I will get this fixed by my FNG mechanic who is a friend.
4. Manjit told me to not leave valuables in the Scorpio, but somehow it is my mistake that I left a 32GB HP Flash drive in the Center Glove Box, with the lid closed. This went missing. I don't blame Manjit for this, as it was my fault. All the friends of his mechanics sit in the Car and one of them might have taken it. I clearly told him that I blame myslef for it.
5. There are lot of scratches on the center console panel. His guys are simply careless.
6. The Gear Lock Plate had been totally dislodged from it's place. Initially they told me it was like this, but when I convinced them that it was dislodged the guys went under the car, and tightened the bolts etc in 10-15 minutes and got it back to the right place.

Manjit looks like a honest guy but he is not supervising his guys enough. Since the leakage of the Heating coil was due to improper fixing of clamps, it is clearly evident that his guys were careless, and this had to open the dashboard 2-3 times. If he supervised properly and they were careful, they would not need to open the dashboard repeatedly.

When a Car is given for repairs, the knobs and Panels being badly scratched is not an acceptable thing, although I still accepted it.

Moreover when a client is told that the car is ready, it should at least be checked. Most of the issues listed above could have been resolved before I was told that the car is ready had Manjit done a proper test drive and checked everything.

I have paid the full amount 15300 for all parts and about 4.6k labor to him without any negotiation.

He has promised to fix the Airflow control Knobs when Suresh is back.

Finally before I left at around 6.30pm we sat down and had a Cold Drink together.

You might think that I am unfair, and hassled, but let me tell you I do not loose my cool easily. If he is a Sardar, I am also a Punhabi and I tried my best to resolve the issue by giving him the benefit of doubt, and still giving him a chance to resolve this.

I have no hard feelings. It is a tough job to open the Dashboard and replace the Cooling Coil, and it has to be handled carefully and properly supervised by the senior. There was negligence on their part, and Manjit admits that.

I still hope he will resolve the Air Control Knob issue as he has promised and it will be a happy ending.

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 15th April 2014 at 20:17.
Styler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2014, 12:48   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...the whole panel including the 3 Knobs was badly scratched and worn out, and the markings around the knobs looked totally stained, totally unlike what they were.

1. The Dashboard, and the AC Knobs were badly scratched and soiled.

2. I had removed the front panel of my 3 month old pioneer music system...and now it has a long scratch running through the center of the screen.
3. When I took a test ride, the Steering Wheel Center was out by 60 degrees.

I still hope he will resolve the Air Control Knob issue as he has promised and it will be a happy ending.
This sounds like work of the shoddiest order. Could you please post a few pictures of the damage done to the AC panel & knobs, and the ICE panel? If any 'before' pics are available, that would be welcome too.

I don't understand why the steering wheel would need to be opened and removed.

In case he does not resolve all your complaints to your satisfaction, I'd certainly like to hear from you.
Old 16th April 2014, 14:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I reached at around 2.30 pm today at his workshop and when I checked I found the following issues.....

The Dashboard, and the AC Knobs were badly scratched and soiled

The Airflow control knob was not working and turning full 360 degrees.

All the knobs were loose and falling out

3 month old pioneer music system...long scratch running through the center of the screen.

the Steering Wheel Center out by 60 degrees

32GB HP Flash drive missing

scratches on the center console panel

Gear Lock Plate dislodged

I have paid the full amount 15300 for all parts and about 4.6k labor to him without any negotiation.
Whoa!

I can't imagine paying someone 20k and ending up like this. Styler my mate, you are a very patient & forgiving man.

I live nearby so I know that he's THE guy who everybody recommends for AC servicing but I've seen cars being handled at his workshop and its not a pleasant sight if the owner is not around.

It also looks like money wasn't really an issue with you, then why go to him in the first place?
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2014, 15:38   #25
BHPian

Quote:
This sounds like work of the shoddiest order. Could you please post a few pictures of the damage done to the AC panel & knobs, and the ICE panel? If any 'before' pics are available, that would be welcome too.

I don't understand why the steering wheel would need to be opened and removed.

In case he does not resolve all your complaints to your satisfaction, I'd certainly like to hear from you.
The steering Wheel has to be taken off for removing the Dashboard.
I did get this fixed properly by my FNG where the Electricians and Mechanic are close friends. I normally leave my car with them to even get the AC work done, but because it was a Sunday and they were off, and also because I had been to Cool Days before I thought of going to Cool Days.

The main problem now is that all three knobs are not working.
1. The left most knob to turn between Cooling and Heating is loose and has lot of play. It goes much beyond where the markings end.
2. The Airflow control Knob has it's own mind where to throw air and turns a full 360 degrees.
3. Fan speed Knob doesnt move to the Fresh air side at all.

Manjit told me that he will call me when his main mechanic Suresh is back, and will fix the central panel, or source a new one.
I will wait for him for a few days, and if he does not do it I will give it to my mechanics to get it done from whereever at whatever cost.
In the meantime I am also trying to source the AC Control Panel from all the places I know off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Whoa!

I can't imagine paying someone 20k and ending up like this. Styler my mate, you are a very patient & forgiving man.

I live nearby so I know that he's THE guy who everybody recommends for AC servicing but I've seen cars being handled at his workshop and its not a pleasant sight if the owner is not around.

It also looks like money wasn't really an issue with you, then why go to him in the first place?
Fine69 thanks for that, I have been really feeling down as really love my cars and it hurts when something like this happens, your post gives me some consolation.
I somehow have had good experiences for AC work from workshops outside the Authorized Service Stations, so I just went with that in my mind. I remember once my AC cooling fan had failed and the MASS quoted 10K for it and outside it cost me 2K.
In hind-sight I think I would have been better off to have gone to the authorized workshop. At least they would have taken responsibility for the things that they damage.

Anyways I am just looking forward and hoping to find the AC Knob panel and get it replaced.

From my experience I would say for minor jobs where you can stand there and get the job done in a few hrs it may be a good idea to go to such workshops. For major jobs like replacement of Cooling Coils etc it is better to go to the Authorized Service Centers because dismantling and fixing back of the Dashboard is a complex job. The Service Center people are experienced in their brand of vehicles. Such workshops do not have the experience with all brands. Moreover there is a lot of collateral damage that can happen if the mechanics are negligent. In my case they were not careful in removing the Central AC Knob panel wires etc and damaged it. Now I am in a sticky situation because it is not available anywhere at any cost.

Every ordeal comes to an end and this one will too. I am just hoping for the best right now and exploring all options.

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 16th April 2014 at 15:40.
Old 16th April 2014, 16:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fine69 thanks for that, I have been really feeling down as really love my cars and it hurts when something like this happens, your post gives me some consolation.
You sounded so cool about the whole process I thought you were one of those carefree types. I know how bad it must've hurt to see the car in that condition.
Quote:
From my experience I would say for minor jobs where you can stand there and get the job done in a few hrs it may be a good idea to go to such workshops.
Totally second that!

In an area like Lajpat Nagar, quality of service isn't what auto business thrives upon. The customers are aplenty so these guys would get away with anything and still have their customer base growing. Especially when 99% of the car owners wouldn't even notice a new scratch/dent and they believe any extent to which an interior is soiled can be cleaned by the car wash guy next day.

Quote:
Every ordeal comes to an end and this one will too. I am just hoping for the best right now and exploring all options.
If it makes you feel any better, everytime I've got some work done through a roadside mechanic I always got a complementary scratch or interior damage. In fact cars are not spared at high-end ICE shops so what does one expect from Manjit.

Whatever's happened has happened, no point worrying about it now. And a big thanks to you for sharing this experience so that folks going to Manjit can exercise more caution next time.
fine69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 17:42   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Dear SS-Traveller

Manjit called me today. He told me to get the car to him on Monday. I am hoping that things are fixed. I will keep you updated.

Styler
Old 23rd April 2014, 10:39   #28
BHPian

Here is the final update about my experience with CoolDays - Manjit Singh.

I left the car with Cool Days for the day on Tuesday.
I listed the following problems which were non-existant before I gave the car for the cooling coil replacement, but cropped up after the repairs at their workshop.
1. The AC control Knobs had play, and were not working. The fan speed control knob was not going to the Fresh side at all. The Air direction knob was working with a mind of it's own and turning a full 360 degrees . The Temperature control knob had play. The lights on the dials of 2 of the knobs had conked off.
2. The cutout switch was not working, and I had to manually switch off the AC when temp because too low.

They have made the AC control panel work, but the knobs still have lot of play, the direction control knob still turns a full 360 degrees instead of stopping at the 5 designated points. This is the best they could do, and I will have to do with whatever they have done because a new panel is not available anyways.

Manjit told me that the Cut-out switch was not working, and he has replaced it. I have not driven the Scorpio enough to know if the AC cutout switch is working now. It makes a Tak-Tak sound normally.

Suresh told me that he saw a bulb for lights on the AC Knob dials but he could not remove it. So the lights on 2 of the 3 dials is still dead. When they already had the dash board open, I wish he had discussed this with Manjit, and together they would have found some way to replace the bulb. If he could see the bulb and holder, I am sure there would have been a way to replace the bulb.

It seems either they were careless while opening or somebody mishandled the Ac control panel to scratch it badly, and just make it dis-functional, and the light also went dead.

My assessment is that although Manjit Singh might be good intentioned and honest, his guys on the whole are not professional enough to handle the customer's cars with care.

He admitted to me that 90 % of their work is with taxis which pay less and always looking at cheap solutions, so his guys have developed the Negligent, Careless, and Chalta Hai attitude, which is okay with the low paying taxi drivers.

I am able to bear all the damage to the AC Panel, and scratches etc to my Stereo Head, Knobs, panel etc because my car is 10 years old. Somebody with a new car will not take it lightly.

My advise to Manjit Singh was that although his intentions are good, he has to take responsibility for the jobs done at his workshop. He cannot pass the blame to his workers. He needs to get more pro-active in supervision and doing things himself and not leave everything to his workers.

That's about it. I did not mean to put down the work-shop, but I have posted my experience in details, for the benefit of other members.

Styler.

Last edited by Styler : 23rd April 2014 at 10:41.
Styler is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 16:37   #29
BHPian

So it seems my list of woes did not end there.
Today morning when I drove my Scorpio I heard a Khach Khach sound from the Dashboard.
I drove to my mechanics and there we found that the Speedometer cable was hanging low and touching the ground.
There are 2 clamps with bolts which hold the Speedometer cable in place. I called up Suresh of Cooldays and confirmed that they had removed those bolts and clamps of the speedometer wire and forgot to put them back.
Now the Speedometer cable is damaged.
So some more collateral damage due to the negligence of Manjit Singh's workshop. Another half day and 1500 rupees to be spent to get the speedometer cable replaced now.

Last edited by Styler : 24th April 2014 at 16:38.
Old 6th August 2014, 12:49   #30
BHPian

Quote:
So it seems my list of woes did not end there.
Today morning when I drove my Scorpio I heard a Khach Khach sound from the Dashboard.
So sorry for you @styler, maybe its just one of those bad days that you had to encounter. Hope no more further problems cropped up.

To keep this thread updated;

I got my cars a/c issue solved last sunday at cool days, without any hiccups at all, and Mr Manjit was not around all the while. detailed report is here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...systems-3.html

Last edited by somu_john : 6th August 2014 at 12:53.
somu_john is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks