Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Delhi NCR

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2018, 12:11   #46
BHPian

Re: Car Air-conditioning - Cooldays Car AC (Lajpat Nagar-I, New Delhi)

Hi All

As reported in earlier posts in this thread, a lot of work on the AC of my Scorpio was done at Cool Days. I sold my 14 year old Scorpio a few months ago because of the NGT ban on Diesel Vehicles. Now I have a Toyota Camry and a Grand Vitara, both Petrol.

The AC of the Grand Vitara is superb. I had just installed an original AC cabin Filter after I bought the Pre-Owned Grand Vitara about a year ago.

A few day back suddenly the AC stopped cooling on my way to GK from Vasant Kunj in Delhi. As I was close to Lajpat Nagar I drove straight to Manjit's workshop to get it checked. I reached there around 12.30pm. Manjit was not there himself but his guys also know me well and started checking the AC.

First they checked the Gas, as if the gas leaks, the compressor is cut off. The gas pressure was perfect so a leak was ruled out.
On turning on the AC and the Cooling the Compressor was just not working. Could it be a blown fuse ? On checking the current to the compressor the current was there so there was no electrical fault till that point.
The conclusion was that the Compressor Clutch / Magnet had failed. To double-confirm it, a wire was connected straight from the Battery to the Compressor Magnet. Still no life, so it was confirmed that the Compressor Clutch / Magnet had failed.

Now I called up the MASS and spoke to my service advisor, he said in the company they only replace the whole compressor and it is an expensive affair. Checked with my trusted Electrician after telling him the situation and he also confirmed that the diagnosis was correct.

Although it is difficult to find spares for the Grand Vitara, Manjit's guys told me that they will take out the Compressor then they will try to find the Clutch / Magnet. The compressor was taken out in 20 minutes, and to their surprise it had a fixed Clutch Magnet. I was told that I can leave and they will get it fixed by evening.
Manjit called me around 4.00pm to tell me that since it is a fixed clutch, it is very difficult to remove it and there is a chance to completely damaging the Compressor when an attempt is made to remove the Clutch Magnet. If I was willing to take the risk, they would send it to a workshop in Okhla to have it removed. I had no option so I gave them the go ahead to send it. In the meantime I inquired about the cost of the new compressor from the MGP store GAPL in case the Compressor is totaled. A new compressor costs 34,000.

Luckily everything went well the Clutch Magnet was disassembled successfully in Okhla and everything came back to Manjit's workshop. Now they could not find a replacement Clutch Magnet for this compressor. They got the damaged Clutch Magnet repaired and fixed. I got a call from Manjit at around 7.30pm that the Car was ready and the AC was cooling as before. I reached the workshop at 8.00 and Manjit explained everything.
The bill was 4200 as follows :
Disassembly charges in Okhla 1000
Repair of Magnet 1200
Labour Charges and Gas 2000
Total 4200.

I gave the money without any hesitation as the other option of replacing the Compressor would have cost me too much.

AC is working and cooling is excellent as before.
A job well done by Manjit and team at Cool Days.

Thanks
Styler

Last edited by Styler : 6th July 2018 at 12:19.
Styler is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 12:49   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
A new compressor costs 34,000.
Would you know the make of the compressor being used in the GV?
Old 6th July 2018, 13:00   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Would you know the make of the compressor being used in the GV?

This is the label of the Original Compressor. The brand is Valeo. Surprising to see a "Made in Czech" compressor in a Japanese Car.
The Suzuki Part No is 95201-64JB1
Attached Thumbnails
Car Air-conditioning - Cooldays Car AC (Lajpat Nagar-I, New Delhi)-accompressor1.jpg  

Last edited by Styler : 6th July 2018 at 13:02.
Styler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 17:43   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
This is the label of the Original Compressor. The brand is Valeo. Surprising to see a "Made in Czech" compressor in a Japanese Car.
The Suzuki Part No is 95201-64JB1
I have the same issue in my GV. The coil needs to be replaced. The MASS here is willing to change just the coil and they have done so in the past as well. The coil is costing 9300 on Boodmo and about 3500 on Aliexpress, though not sure about the Aliexpress part number. How is the repair holding on in your case? The FNG AC guy also claims to get it repaired locally as it says it is nothing much than just an electromagnetic coil and can be rewired. What do you suggest?
Old 12th August 2019, 18:02   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Someone who owns a GV had his cooling coil changed with the coil from the Cedia, albeit with some minor changes in the "weldable"portion which is the inlet and outlet of the coil.
Old 12th August 2019, 18:17   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
^^ Someone who owns a GV had his cooling coil changed with the coil from the Cedia, albeit with some minor changes in the "weldable"portion which is the inlet and outlet of the coil.
The coil am referring to is the magnetic clutch coil at the front of the compressor.
Old 12th August 2019, 18:52   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Sorry about that; I rushed through the first few lines and posted. My bad.

The clutch coil needs to be of the right diameter to be able to sit in its housing. 4k is the ballpark cost of this aftermarket coil.If an equivalent is available locally, you can go ahead.

Last edited by vigsom : 12th August 2019 at 18:54.
Old 12th August 2019, 19:49   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
^^ Sorry about that; I rushed through the first few lines and posted. My bad.

The clutch coil needs to be of the right diameter to be able to sit in its housing. 4k is the ballpark cost of this aftermarket coil.If an equivalent is available locally, you can go ahead.
Do you have by any chance the diameter measurement of the same? Or a local source who can give me the correct coil? The local MASS has in their inventory another coil which was ordered, for another GV, but turned out to be a different one and could not be used.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 12th August 2019 at 19:51.
Old 12th August 2019, 20:11   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

From info that I have gathered

Outer dia 96mm
Inner dia one end 63mm, opp end 45mm
Thickness 33mm

I will post pictures of an old coil if I am able to get it.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 20:57   #55
Senior - BHPian

96*63*45*33mm. This is the size available on Aliexpress. I guess its the right size then if your source is different from Aliexpress.
Old 12th August 2019, 21:20   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

My recommendation would be to source the coil locally or from Mumbai.

Although I got the dimensions of the coil elsewhere on line, I'd trust my eyes only viz. get the compressor out, take the coil and then locate a suitable spare.

Ali express is showing several options, but you need to get the coil that fits compressor 95200-64JB0 or 95200-64JB1.

It is a gamble but worth taking for 30 odd dollars.

Here is a picture of the coil for reference.

Car Air-conditioning - Cooldays Car AC (Lajpat Nagar-I, New Delhi)-img20190812wa0018.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 13th August 2019 at 07:01. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 12th August 2019, 21:44   #57
Senior - BHPian

You also replaced, it seems. How much did it cost locally? Let me see if I can find out someone in Delhi who can source it. Any known place to source it in Mumbai? Can request some friends to get it for me and courier it down.
Old 14th August 2019, 10:58   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
I have the same issue in my GV. The coil needs to be replaced. The MASS here is willing to change just the coil and they have done so in the past as well. The coil is costing 9300 on Boodmo and about 3500 on Aliexpress, though not sure about the Aliexpress part number. How is the repair holding on in your case? The FNG AC guy also claims to get it repaired locally as it says it is nothing much than just an electromagnetic coil and can be rewired. What do you suggest?

Hi

It has been over an year and the AC is working well. It has run all through this summer season without any issues.
But remember I was told in Advance that there is a risk of damaging the Compressor in the process of repair. Luckily for me it worked well, for Prateek in Delhi who also went to Manjit with the same problem the compressor failed totally. It had to be replaced.

Styler
Styler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 15:34   #59
Senior - BHPian

If the coil is so hard to be removed, then the issue of failure would be there even if the coil is to be replaced. So, what I understand is that if it can be removed than it can be repaired satisfactorily and I do not need to buy a new one.
Old 17th August 2019, 21:42   #60
Senior - BHPian

So finally I got the coil removed and it was just the most minute of the faults. After the winding of the copper coil, there is a small thin bridge to complete the circuit which is a very thin strand of wire. Due to use and the heat generated this bridge had broken. The bridge was soldered back on with a copper wire this time and the coil refitted. The AC is back to normal now. There was nothing complicated in either removing the coil or repairing it. Infact, the guy did not even remove the alternator from the vehicle. The total cost came to INR 1500.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed