Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2011, 05:30   #1
BHPian

My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique problem

Hi,

I regularly travel at night (Almost everyday!) on some good as well as poorly lit roads. The other day, I was thinking to myself, what if, I got stuck (read - Puncture, engine overheating etc) in the middle of the night on a road with no streetlights or with streetlights which are useless. What would I do?

It is difficult to change Tyres at night. Also, my car does not have a light in the boot. This makes it difficult sometimes to take stuff out at night. The engine bay also might need some light when needed. What to do???

Then one day, I went to this store and saw an LED light for Rs.65. I thought it was a nice thing to use as a solution to the problem. But then, How to fix it in the car? I did not want to stick it (double sided tape). Also, for all that I wanted to do with this, I needed something which could be mobile. I thought of velcro strips, but then dismissed the idea. The other day, while cleaning the fridge, one of the Fridge magnets (those things you stick to the fridge) fell and broke and I solved the puzzle!!!

I took the magnet and stuck it to the back of my LED light with some fevi quick. And now, I had a completely mobile lamp, which I could use almost anywhere in the car. The total fix cost me 65 (Light) + 15 (cells) + 20 (Magnet) !

The light and assembly
My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique problem-photo0264.jpg
My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique problem-photo0265.jpg
My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique problem-photo0266.jpg
This now can be used in the boot to light it up, My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique problem-photo0259.jpgas a map reading light which does not disturb me in case the passenger uses it. My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique problem-photo0254.jpg
My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique problem-photo0255.jpg
My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique problem-photo0256.jpg
As a light under the bonnet when you need to check stuff at night.
My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique problem-photo0263.jpg
AMy DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique problem-photo0262.jpg
warning light in case you are at the side of the road
My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique problem-photo0260.jpg
a light to help you in changing the tyre at night.
My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique problem-photo0258.jpg

I am still discovering more uses for this. Due to the magnet, it can be stuck on almost any part of the car when needed. Hope this helps in case you are looking for a similar fix.
Attached Thumbnails
My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique problem-photo0257.jpg  

torquecurve is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th May 2011, 08:13   #2
dot
Senior - BHPian

re: My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique problem

Nice idea.

I had bought Dot-it LED lights. The glue at the back was not useful for automotive purposes as it debonded from any surface in the cabin. Then I tried Velcro. That was also not a good solution either. Abandoned the idea totally. Never tried magnets, thanks for letting us know.

Nowadays I keep a solar powerd LED torch which looks very similar to the LED assembly that you have posted. Bought from IKEA.

Last edited by dot : 7th May 2011 at 08:15.
Old 7th May 2011, 10:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique problem

Excellent Idea !! Seen many types of torch to use in emergency, but this is something very innovative as you can stick it anywhere you want in the car.
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2011, 11:10   #4
BHPian

A nice idea which doesn't cost you much but will come handy many times.

Thanks for lettings us know.
nfsfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2011, 13:28   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

You get such lights in bombay for cars. They come with a ring of bright LED lights with a powerful magnet at the base. You have an option of choosing a battery operated light or buy one with long wires and big alligator clamps at the ends to attach it directly to the battery. Costs 150-200 bucks. The casing is water resistant.
Very useful in my jeep.
Old 7th May 2011, 13:38   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

In a stationary car, the magnet should work all fine, but then I'm not sure about using it as reading lights in bumpy roads.

Neverthless a cheap and useful accessory to be kept in a vehicle.
Old 7th May 2011, 13:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Good idea, Even I do solo long drives in the night and used to carry a small LED torch (GEEPAS brand - size less than USB drive). Lighting is decent but cannot compare with this one. I'll look for something like this and keep it in the car. Thanks for the useful post.
Old 7th May 2011, 13:57   #8

thanks for sharing this, So simple yet so usefull
Old 7th May 2011, 15:34   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
In a stationary car, the magnet should work all fine, but then I'm not sure about using it as reading lights in bumpy roads.

Neverthless a cheap and useful accessory to be kept in a vehicle.

Thank you for your comments. I will improve the design

Well, I tested this on some bad roads. All you have to do is place it on the corner (not looking down but forwards backwards). Alternatively, you could buy a more powerful magnet for 50 bucks at any speaker shop (I have one pulled from my old computer speakers which went kaput)

@ Tejas - Hey thats nice. Would love to see it once. You can make this assembly water proof by just applying a coat of silicon or Stikfast on the joins.

@ Dot - Solar powered? How does it work at night? If you store it in your glovebox, does it ever get charged?

Last edited by torquecurve : 7th May 2011 at 15:36.
Old 7th May 2011, 18:36   #10
dot
Senior - BHPian

Re: My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique proble

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post

@ Dot - Solar powered? How does it work at night? If you store it in your glovebox, does it ever get charged?
It is solar powered. However it has a battery inside which gives power at night. Nowadays I keep the torch inside door trim pockets, never faced any discharging issues so far. I am using it for last two years.

Here are some pictures of the torch.

My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique problem-07052011460.jpg

My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique problem-07052011461.jpg

There is a velcro strip pasted at the bottom. During the initial days the torch kept in upright position on the rear parcel shelf of our Ikon, using the velcro and its own handle. So it acted as a rear seat light. Nowadays it stays inside the door pocket.
Old 8th May 2011, 17:40   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve

@ Tejas - Hey thats nice. Would love to see it once.
Here are a couple of pictures:
Attached Images

Old 9th May 2011, 15:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: My DIY : Cheap Magnetic Light. A not-so-unique solution to a not-so-unique proble

the best thing about this one is that it uses a magnet, so I am a person going alone, I can use this light and stick it at various places where I need to see light alongwith use both my hands.

Excellent DIY.
Old 9th May 2011, 19:50   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Here are a couple of pictures:
Interesting. The magnet is actually a speaker magnet only. Like I said, you can get it for 50 bucks. Also, the light does not seem to be an LED and could burn out when you most need it. JMT.

Everyone - Thanks for the appreciation of my idea! Hope this helps everyone.

@ Dot - The lamp is amazing. Could even use it for Camping.

Last edited by torquecurve : 9th May 2011 at 19:52.
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 23:12   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve

Also, the light does not seem to be an LED and could burn out when you most need it.
Now why would you insinuate that I'm lying about my own light being an LED? That too after seeing a pic?

Sigh.

Here, I've opened it up for you; or would you want me to click a pic with it switched on as well?
Attached Images

Old 9th May 2011, 23:56   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Here, I've opened it up for you; or would you want me to click a pic with it switched on as well?
Hey Tejas, there seem to be 14 LED's connected in series?. Is so, would 12V be sufficient?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks