Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2012, 19:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
If you don't mind may I ask the price of this item, incl fitment?

TIA
The cost is around 4k , 800 for labour and it is the beige that you see in the linea. You can change gears without taking your elbow off and its wonderful, I would say go for it if the ASC has stock. Here is the part breakup.

Armrest : 0735489747 : Rs 1024
Bracket : 0051780094 : Rs 627
Trim : 0059064146 : Rs 327
Rear airvent : 0735494410 : 903
Total 3286 @14%vat
avira_tk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 23:12   #32
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The cost is around 4k , 800 for labour and it is the beige that you see in the linea. You can change gears without taking your elbow off and its wonderful, I would say go for it if the ASC has stock. Here is the part breakup.

Armrest : 0735489747 : Rs 1024
Bracket : 0051780094 : Rs 627
Trim : 0059064146 : Rs 327
Rear airvent : 0735494410 : 903
Total 3286 @14%vat

Could you please share some pics of this, I have seen it on Linea, but would like to see how it looks in Punto. Also the place where you got this fitted ( Concorde- dairy circle ) ?
sbkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 21:03   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest

I got this fitted at Concorde Dairy Circle, you need to open a job card to get the parts, otherwise the SE has to vouch for you. Make sure they have all of it in stock. It took me a year to get the parts.
Old 5th April 2013, 17:05   #34
BHPian

I had plans to get this done on my Punto and hence inquired the total cost of parts @ Hyson Auto Sales, Kochi. Sad to say that it now costs a whopping Rs. 7200(approx) as per the dealer. I have shelved my plans temporarily.
Old 28th May 2013, 21:54   #35
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the descriptive procedure.

Today me and fellow BHPian hemanth_anand fixed armrest in my Punto.

Without proper tools, we managed to do the job in 45 mins. The guys @ KHT motors, were telling me that it is a major job to fit an armrest in Punto, and they needed 1 day for it.

I am surprised why they need so much time..it might be their "patented" technique for fleecing customers.

The Vecto Motors guys would not help me fix it..as it is not approved by Fiat it seems. I got all the parts from KHT motors, they are readily available as on date.

A big thanks to Hemanth, for helping me out. Only update is that the arm rest alone is now costing Rs 5300/-, taking the total cost to around 7200.

I have driven only 20 KM with the armrest, and am already sure that I cant drive anymore without the armrest. Worth every penny.

If anyone wants to get the armrest fixed, PM me, I can help.
vidyasagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 19:38   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
I had plans to get this done on my Punto and hence inquired the total cost of parts @ Hyson Auto Sales, Kochi. Sad to say that it now costs a whopping Rs. 7200(approx) as per the dealer. I have shelved my plans temporarily.
very strange that the part which was costing 1000/- some 18 months back costs 5000+ now.
Looks like FIAT must have stopped sourcing it locally and started importing. Any one fitted the armrest lately in their Punto. I want it buy 7000 is too high price.
Old 2nd October 2013, 10:21   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhare View Post
very strange that the part which was costing 1000/- some 18 months back costs 5000+ now.
Looks like FIAT must have stopped sourcing it locally and started importing. Any one fitted the armrest lately in their Punto. I want it buy 7000 is too high price.

Saw this a while ago on Ebay

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Universal-Big...item3a750b5b2b

Not sure how it compares to the original though.
Old 3rd October 2013, 10:47   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally, the armrest AC is not dummy anymore. The rear passengers can also be kept cool

BUT

I wouldn't call it a complete success! I do have some limitations. Why? Read on...

I had ordered the Air ducting parts from 99rpm. It took more than a month to arrive
They are nothing but two simple tubes. See the below picture. The two parts are mentioned as Air ducting

DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest-armrest_linea.jpg

Today I went to Pride motors on 17th cross near KR road in Banashankari 2nd stage (Yes, he was open on Gandhi Jayanthi)
The guy there by name Harish was experienced with fiat and does a good job.
I had called Harish on 30th September and hence there was no need to explain more other than just showing him the ducts.
He first opened the armrest and the centre console. The below picture is what we saw.

DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest-20131002_142940.jpg
Ducts going to the under-seat foot level air vents

The two tubes going sideways are for the under seat foot level AC vents.
They were detachable and we removed the two sideways going tubes and then it looked as shown in the picture below

DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest-20131002_143122.jpg
Detached

There were two rectangular ducts from the centre console. But the air ducting had one single big rectangular opening at the end (as shown below)

DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest-20131002_143244.jpg

We thought it will cover both the rectangular ducts.
While we were right to some extent, we observed that the single big rectangle in the air-ducting was way too big for than the 2 rectangular ducts put together.
That meant that sealing the airflow would be a tough job and it will not be a perfect fit. Sad.

Second biggest problem was that the single rectangular duct when positioned to fit onto the floor (as per design) would go over the two rectangular vents from the centre console. That meant that the air ducting is not going to fit at all. Very sad.

We looked at all the parts to observe what all other parts I would need from the linea bin.
Turned out that the flap unit (the unit which diverts the air to foot of face or both or the demister depending on the knob position) was the difference and it was a single piece and that would be too expensive.

We had hit a roadblock!
So I asked Harish to put back everything like how it was earlier and I told him that I would come back with the necessary parts no matter what the cost was.
But he was not ready to give up. He asked me the cost of the ducting...I told it was approx 500 each and 1000 INR in total.
His next question was if I was ready for an alternate idea and if I was ready to experiment. I asked him what was in his head.
He told me that if somehow we could connect the two rectangular ducts to this side of the air ducting, we would succeed.
He told me that it will involve cutting of the newly ordered parts and if this “fix” (jugaad as many would call it) doesn’t work, we may lose the console side ducting.

I thought for a while...

1. The side of the air ducting that would need cutting is cheap (500 INR)
2. It was readily available if I want to order it again from 99rpm (waiting was a month was not an issue)
3. The flap unit and other parts from Linea was expensive
4. And I had no idea if it would be available (checked 99rpm n my mobile and found nothing)

With all these reasons, I gave a green signal to Harish to go ahead with the fix

First we had to find a connecting hose or pipe. Harish went to the store room and got two types of rubber Hoses. One was a straight and short corrugated rubber hose.
And the other one was a CV joint rubber boot that was a rubber corrugated and tapered hose

DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest-20131002_143749.jpg
Hose

DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest-cv-boot.jpg
CV joint boot

The smaller end of the CV joint boot was also cut to make an opening.
Both hoses were smaller in diameter compared to the air vents. This meant that we had to expand them and fit on to the vents. This was exactly what we needed because that would ensure an air tight seal.

We tried both and the CV joint boot was the better choice since the other straight hose would need bending and that would constrict the air flow.

So we positioned the ducting and marked a place to cut the ducting.
The aim was that the ducting should be cut which is in a straight line with two rectangular tubes so that the custom joining pipe/hose should be straight and not bent to enable neat air flow.
It was 6 Inches (we measured it) from the big rectangle side.

DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest-20131002_135621.jpg
cutting in progress

DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest-20131002_143540.jpg

DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest-20131002_143550.jpg

DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest-20131002_143604.jpg

Then this boot was connected. Just be doubly sure, Harish put cable ties to both ends.

DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest-20131002_161624.jpg

Once connected, this is how it looked. I find this very similar to Ferrari F430’s engine

DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest-20131002_161940.jpg
Fix-it

DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest-ferrarif430engine1.jpg
F430

After that, it was reassembly time.

A foam cushion around the gear lever was removed to make way for the pipes. it is just placed there (no glue, no screw nothing)

DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest-20131002_143656.jpg

We had another minor issue...The Hand brake boot was not fitting because of the new air ducting. Punto’s handbrake boot is a rubber one which is big and sits on the floor.
While the Linea’s hand brake boot is a polyester fabric type which just about the covers the handbrake and sits on the console. It is very similar to the gear lever boot.
I'll have to buy this part now

So I asked Harish to remove the boot and I will now have to buy that part.
Other than this, everything was a perfect fit The centre console and the armrest was fit back into place.

DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest-20131002_162703.jpg
The hand brake boot thrown away...will have to buy Linea's

DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest-20131002_162651.jpg
Another view of the final arrangement

As was known, the rear AC will now only work when the direction knob is set to foot level. I’ll use the face and foot position for optimum cooling

Results:
  1. The Armrest AC can be made functional
  2. The foot level AC vents under the seats will be gone
  3. If you are not willing to spend much money on it, it’s not a perfect fit and you’ll have to make a custom fix
  4. If you want a perfect fit and if you are willing to spend more, buy Linea’s flap unit (so that the armrest AC works even in “face” position)
hemanth.anand is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 17:16   #39
BHPian

A quick question, In the Linea, where does the foot venting get routed from?

@hemanth.anand & randhawa: A very well documented DIY, Cheers!
Old 3rd October 2013, 21:55   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
A quick question, In the Linea, where does the foot venting get routed from?

@hemanth.anand & randhawa: A very well documented DIY, Cheers!
Foot venting gets routed where he has attached the rubber boots.

I have the parts to do the same but for me the foot venting is more important in winter when your feet is cold and face venting does not help when it's freezing cold.

To get the rear vent working you need the linea emotion pack hvac unit along with the climate control module. Just the HVAC is Rs 32000 + the cc module so it's not practical.

What you really need is the top face vent panel to have the rear face vent working. That's what I have figured out so far and I am in process to find out if that part I can order or I have to source it from a recked Linea.
Randhawa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 20:13   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Seat covers were readymade and got them from Chandigarh. Don't know about the material, it's pvc I think.
Where in Chandigarh?

Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 18:25   #42
Senior - BHPian

Car life, sector 27 Chandigarh.
Old 15th April 2015, 22:34   #43
Senior - BHPian

Bumping up an old thread. Guys who have done this DIY, how you guys removed the black cover of the rear console? Any prying with screwdriver required?
Old 16th April 2015, 21:41   #44
Senior - BHPian

You mean the glass holder ? If that's what you are asking then just use the grip of screwdriver and tap it down from top.
Old 19th April 2015, 07:42   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
You mean the glass holder ? If that's what you are asking then just use the grip of screwdriver and tap it down from top.
Hi

No not just the bottle holder, but the entire console as marked in the pic.

DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest-picsart_1429409371912.jpg

In other words the very first step of the DIY.

Most Viewed