Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2011, 01:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest

I like little luxuries life has to offer and specially when something can make your daily drive more relaxed. Armrest is such a part which I am addicted and used too so had to get one. For those who are reading this probably alike me so here it goes to help you out.

I like things OEM if nothing or better is available aftermarket so all the parts used are straight from Fiat bin Italy(made in Italy).

Parts required from Fiat Linea bin Part no and price as off May 2011

DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest-parts.jpg

Part no Price

1. Armrest 735489747 Rs 1100 Approx

2. Bracket 51780094 Rs 715

3. Ornament 735453473 Rs 373
(Plastic cover)

4. Diffuser 735440682 (735494410) Rs 1030
(rear air vent)

5. 3x 10mm bolts(flat head) - Just ask at the parts counter - I got them free

6. 2x Rivets Did not use it but you should get them- just ask them

So hows the parts scene! Well my dealer had only the armrest but ordered the rest of the three main parts required to fit and they actually arrived in 10 days as told. One thing you might skip is the air vent as I certainly don't think 1k for just a vent is justified when one can certainly live without it and even if you spend 1k still its just a dummy to fill the hole.

Tools required

1. Screw driver x

2. 13mm socket to undo handbrake bolts

3. 10mm socket to undo the rear console nuts

4. A pair of steady hands

5. Patience and relaxing music to get things done nice and easy.

How to go about it

Carefully pull up the black top part of the rear console. Pull up the rubber sleeve on the hand brake lever so it does not come in your way.

After you have removed the black top console, use your screw driver handle to tap(gently or hard) on the glass holder as shown in picture circled in yellow. It should come loose from its fixture on the bottom and the whole piece will come off the console. No need to cut anything.

Name:  console .JPG
Views: 27529
Size:  79.4 KB DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest-console-bottom.jpg

Undo the two handbrake bolts to remove the brake lever but before that make sure your ignition key is out and car in gear as to avoid any unfortunate movements of the car driving by itself with a panicky DIYer. Remove the brake light socket too.
DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest-handbrake.jpg

Remove the 2x 10mm nuts at the rear of the console, lift the console gently enough to make space for the metal bracket to slide under the console and the holes of the bracket goes over the two protruding bolts and then put back the console over the bolts. Before you put the two nuts back in, align the bracket so that the brake cables do not rub against the bracket from inside.

DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest-bottom-console.jpg DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest-bracket-rear.jpg
You can do without the rivets but without it the bracket has a wee bit of movement, hardly noticeable though. All the holes are there so no drilling required.

Once bracket and console is secured by tightening the two nuts on the rear of the console, put back the black top you removed in first step after you have fixed the hand brake lever back in and connect the brake switch.
DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest-bracket-mounted.jpg

Now all you have to do is fix the armrest onto the bracket by 3x 10mm bolts, put the plastic ornament to cover the bolts and slide in the rear vent.
DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest-armrest-fitings.jpg DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest-cover.jpg

Hopefully you will be a happy bunny by now and just wanting to go for a drive feeling more lazy and relaxed.

DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest-armrest-2.jpg

Before anyone ask about the possibility of making the rear vent functional, yes it is easily possible but would need some time and two ducts from linea to accomplish the task. I rather have the Aux working on the Blaupunkt then the vent but depends upon your priorities.

Last edited by Randhawa : 27th May 2011 at 01:41.
Randhawa is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 09:21   #2
BANNED

re: DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest

Whoa. Thats a very descriptive procedure! Will try this for my friend's Punto.
Old 27th May 2011, 09:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

wow nice work, i like the seat covers in the first pic as well.
Where did you get it done,what material is it.
Old 27th May 2011, 09:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Seat covers were readymade and got them from Chandigarh. Don't know about the material, it's pvc I think.
Old 27th May 2011, 10:16   #5
BHPian

Randhawa, You have done a masterpiece. I am tempted to do this on my Punto now. Will go and check availability of parts in Bangalore.

By the way, I have seen quite a few after market arm rest fittend in my friends Punto. They dont seem to hold rigid and shake when we keep the hand on them and give a loose fitting feeling. In your case, were you able to secure them rigidly without any movement?
Old 27th May 2011, 10:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice work there Randhawa .
Even I'm planning to fit armrest on my Punto. Your post will definitely help in sourcing parts as well as for D.Y.I.

You will be changing that beige cover on armrest to black right?

OT: By the way I liked the seat covers. These are exactly what I'm looking for my car. If possible can you please post one complete pic covering seat covers?

Thanks in advance.
Old 27th May 2011, 11:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

@gopikb- Fitting is just like factory, you cant tell if it was not meant for punto. Even the holes for the bracket are there on the chassis. The bracket which holds the armrest is so strong that one might think its made for "Hellboy". Mine does not shake/rattle nor gives any loose feeling and supports my arm weight very nicely. Although I have not fitted the rivets and to make it 100% shake proof you must fix the rivets too. I will be doing that shortly on mine.

@Hammerhead- Yes I will be changing the beige cover to black but in I dilemma if to go with fabric or leather type cover. Its very easy to change the cover too.

Seat covers I got, fit just like a glove and it holds you nicely.
DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest-img_0040.jpg

DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest-img_0038.jpg

DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest-img_0039.jpg

DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest-img_0037.jpg
Randhawa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 12:49   #8
BHPian

Nice DIY randhawa, It is bit OT but may i know the price of your seat cover and manufacture name?

Thanks,
Sudhakar
Old 27th May 2011, 13:03   #9
BHPian

can it be done to a Palio? I've been wanting an armrest for my car for so long. I even went to Fiat A.S.S to inquire if it can be fitted into a Palio. they declined. But now I am again anxious to know if something can be done to mod this in to the palio..?
Old 27th May 2011, 13:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thats a brilliant thing and should help many who likes DIY and the fit'n' finish

Follow the link to see similar one for Punto. Cost him 1.3k.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...vice-done.html
Old 27th May 2011, 13:59   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd ordered all the four parts required.
Parts 2 and the armrest is lying in my house.
Parts 1 and 3 have not yet arrived and I'm waiting for those to arrive.

The dealer has promised that it is coming next week.
Next inline will be mine.

Your post will help me in showing it to the mechanic...thanks

Making the AC vents may void the warranty...So I'll do that after the warranty period is over.
Old 27th May 2011, 22:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY PICS : Fiat Punto Armrest

@Sudhi- Dont know the make but it cost me 3.2k. I'll see if I can find out which make it is.

@Amit- If you can provide some pics of your rear console and some inside pics of how it is secured at the rear then I might be able to say. Although if you have two rear bolts to secure the console then probably it can be done even if you dont then still you can do it but might not be a factory fit looks.

@JKDas- The link you provided has incorrect part no and only armrest part no is right. 1.1k is just for the OEM armrest and now you can not have the armrest installed for 1.3k. Part no listed above are correct as of today and so is the price and it would cost 3.3k to get all OEM parts excluding installation charges to install the armrest.

@Hemant- It took me more then an hour to install as I had to figure out how and where the bracket goes but once I figured it out, it was easy. Now I can fix one in 15min flat. Take your time while installing or if you get it done at the T.A.S.S then would know how to go about it.

For fitting the AC vents, best way to go about it is to see the parts manual of Linea and order the right parts before you venture into it.
Old 27th May 2011, 23:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

@JKDas-Opps checked the wrong thread, the one in the above thread had fixed a Swift armrest and if I am not wrong then the OEM swift armrest cost 10k so I think its a aftermarket swift armrest.
Old 27th May 2011, 23:40   #14
BHPian

@Randhawa : Everyone loves you seat covers and so do I . I wish there was a way to source them here in Pune . the ones I have seen in Pune are not to my taste or they are way over priced . But for 3200 if I interpreted that correctly , this set is superb .

OT : Do you help fellow BHPians procure similar seat covers ....pleeeeease ...
Old 28th May 2011, 00:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

@Gautam- Dont mind helping out but you will have to get them fitted at additional cost +PP which I don't have a clue to how much will it cost.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks