Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2011, 12:55   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Dhanush, the newer Ikons do have a Digital ODO. At least the TDCi's do (late 2008 onwards)
Oh.. yes. Well then, the trick vina posted for Figo, should also work for the IKON?. Have you tried it out condor?.
Old 5th July 2011, 13:32   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Oh.. yes. Well then, the trick vina posted for Figo, should also work for the IKON?. Have you tried it out condor?.

Let's give credit where it is due - and not where it is not due. The trick was first reported by @anilsanil who then put it on youtube. I discovered it on another thread and posted the link here (because people looking for DIY will most likely end up on this thread)

You and @anilsanil have taken the trouble to actually do things - I'm just helping out reporting stuff already done.
Old 5th July 2011, 15:30   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

DIY: Cleaning/Replacing your Fuel(Petrol) Filter

Car: Ford IKON Flair. (Petrol)

Tools Required: If required, a pair of gloves and perhaps one scissors.

Clogged fuel filter symptoms: Clogged fuel filter essentially means that the engine is not getting enough fuel that it needs. This will lead to bad revvs, loss of power, and sometimes bad driveablity. If you suspect and your car shows symptoms of fuel adulteration from untrustred pumps, its always better to replace the fuel filter. After all it costs just ~150bucks (Petrol).

Now, please note that, this is one of those DIY's in which you have to get your hands dirty. If you have access to hydraulic jack, then things are more easy, if not, you will have to get under the car. Not an issue, as the location is pretty workable.

Location of the Fuel Filter Under the Car.

A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide-fuel-filter-location.jpg
A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide-fuel-filter.jpg

Step 1: Get under the car.

Step 2: Cut the plastic fastener that is holding the fuel filter in place.
A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide-fuel-filter-cut-tag.jpg

Step 3: Remove the fuel lines. Both in and out of the filter. To remove, as shown in the figure, press the clips, twist and pull it out.

A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide-fuel-filter-remove.jpg
A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide-fuel-filter-remove1.jpg

P.S - EXTREME CAUTION IS ADVISED WHILE TRYING THIS STEP. As, when removing the fuel lines, the some fuel in the pipes will leak. So, please MAKE SURE there is no FIRE HAZARD.

Step 4: For cleaning the filter, just empty the filter through the 'in' side. DO NOT pressure clean it. The filtering element will give away.
A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide-fuel-filter-out.jpg

Step 5: Replace the plastic fastener, and then fasten the filter. Make sure the direction of the filter is as shown in the figure.

Step 6: Follow the reverse process of Step 3.

done!
dhanushs is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 15:35   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Similar for the fiesta too, method AND location.
I think once you find the filter location, the process will be as above^
Old 5th July 2011, 15:51   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
[/list]Great start Dhanushs

Please add these too
  • how to repair a puncture in a tubeless tyre
^^^ This can be found here
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 16:56   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

DIY: Replacing the Tail Lamps

Car: Ford IKON Flair

Tools Required: Bare Hands.

Step 1: Pop the boot.

Step 2: Remove the clip. There is a clip which holds the mat in the boot in place. You need to remove that clip to access the tail lamp cluster. For removing it, simply twist and pull as shown in figure. After which move the mat aside for ease of access.

A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide-diy-tail-light-replace.jpg
A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide-diy-tail-light-replace-twist-pull.jpg
A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide-diy-tail-light-replace-move-mat.jpg

TAIL LAMP CLUSTER AND BULBS.

A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide-diy-tail-light-replace-bulbs.jpg

Step 3: Remove the bulb holders. For removing the bulb holders from their seating is pretty much simple, and is the regular 'twist-pull'.

A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide-diy-tail-light-replace-remove-holder.jpg

Step 4: Replace the bulbs. Again, removing the bulbs too, are pretty easy, as they are the regular - twist-to-remove type.

A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide-diy-tail-light-replace-replace-bulb-twist-pull.jpg

Step 5: Reverse steps 3, and 2.

done!

THINGS TO CONSIDER: While replacing the tail lamps, which are two-in-one bulbs, please check if the correct bulb(brightness) glows for brakes and parking lights. If they seem to be reversed, ie, while bright ones for park lights, then remove the bulb and fit in the reverse direction.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 17:05   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Step 4: For cleaning the filter, just empty the filter through the 'in' side. DO NOT pressure clean it. The filtering element will give away.
Attachment 572655

done!
Just to clarify - this means try to some clean fuel (with whatever pressure normal gravity provides - no more) in the opposite of the normal fuel direction.

Also you forgot to mention one thing - the clean fuel that comes out will be dirty - don't put it back in the tank again - use it for heating purposes if you must.
Old 5th July 2011, 17:36   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

I think you should change the title of the thread to DIY Ikon, or maybe ford(although that would be too broad as well).
Ford's idiosyncracies, see.
Old 5th July 2011, 21:18   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Just to clarify - this means try to some clean fuel (with whatever pressure normal gravity provides - no more) in the opposite of the normal fuel direction.
Infact, there would be some fuel in the filter. You can also use it to clean the filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Also you forgot to mention one thing - the clean fuel that comes out will be dirty - don't put it back in the tank again - use it for heating purposes if you must.
Oh.. yes.. Thanks! Wasn't that obvious? . btw, OT: does figo need synth oil always?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I think you should change the title of the thread to DIY Ikon, or maybe ford(although that would be too broad as well).
Ford's idiosyncracies, see.
mayankk, I do not know how long I will own this car. Hence, I intend to keep this thread open, for DIY's of all vehicles. So that I can update it with newer cars I own. I just started with the IKON. Moreover, and even better, fellow members too can contribute to this thread, making it a good knowledge-base for DIY lovers. After all, these are some of the basic things that you have to periodically do, and most times the A.S.S screw it up.
Old 5th July 2011, 23:23   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Infact, there would be some fuel in the filter. You can also use it to clean the filter.
Dhanush, is it better to go for a new fuel filter or get the existing one cleaned up. You've mentioned in a previous post that it would cost ~150 rs. Not sure if there are multiple quality types that we need to be aware of or is it just 150 for whatever the quality is?
Old 6th July 2011, 08:54   #56
BHPian

Quote:
DIY: Replacing the Tail Lamps
A simple DIY. Had you noticed the sealed bulb holder in the extreme bottom of the tail lamp assembly. One can consider installing a set of brake lamps running parallel from the stock brake lamps. M800 tail lamp holder set is a direct fit. You may use the indicator and rever lamp holders as they are for single filament bulbs. Remove little of the insulation on the stock wiring harness (not the wires to the bulbs). You can notice the soldered join from which you can solder the new holders for additional brake lamps. Its again a 20 min DIY, requiring a soldering gun and lead.
No need to change the fuse. The brake lamps look awesome in twilight. Tried and tested , never changed the brake lamp bulbs once in the past 3 years.
Attached Thumbnails
A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide-diy2020tail20light20replace2020bulbs.jpg  

ilangop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 09:48   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashKeezh View Post
Dhanush, is it better to go for a new fuel filter or get the existing one cleaned up. You've mentioned in a previous post that it would cost ~150 rs. Not sure if there are multiple quality types that we need to be aware of or is it just 150 for whatever the quality is?
I'd prefer a new fuel filter.its just prior to when the fuel goes into a very expensive to repair component of the car, so why take a chance.
Go for OE, as far as possible.
Dhanushs, ikon's fuel filter is under 200 bucks?
nice!
Old 6th July 2011, 12:44   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oh.. yes. Well then, the trick vina posted for Figo, should also work for the IKON?.
Got a chance to check this out. Does not work for the Ikon. Both odo & Trip meters display what they should show during normal usage.
Old 6th July 2011, 14:51   #59
Senior - BHPian

Whats this? A Ford only thread ;-)

By the way, I have been trying to open the HU of the Beat to see what the number of the music system is (the security code). I searched the net but could not find anything on this

Has anyone here tried opening up the Chevy Beat HU. Please post a step by step process here.
Old 6th July 2011, 15:00   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Whats this? A Ford only thread ;-)

By the way, I have been trying to open the HU of the Beat to see what the number of the music system is (the security code). I searched the net but could not find anything on this

Has anyone here tried opening up the Chevy Beat HU. Please post a step by step process here.
security code?
as in the x-digit code you gotta put in to unlock the system when it gets locked?
Kind of defeats the purpose if its somewhere on the HU.
try looking for it in the handbook or something befor egoing after the HU.
And i think youll need chevy specific HU removing pins(dont know the technical term, they slide in between the HUs side and the facia).
else you may end up defacing the plastics.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks