Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2013, 22:40   #31
BHPian

Re: The Poor Man's Stubby (Roof Antenna)

Couple of days back, the antenna from a (fluidic) Verna was stolen from our apartment parking lot. I kept observing the Vernas on the road and spotted a couple of them without the antenna - just the base remaining. New found fancy among the petty thieves? Verna owners, keep a watch on the antennas, atleast in Bangalore!

BTW, nice DIY!
Old 3rd November 2013, 10:26   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Couple of days back, the antenna from a (fluidic) Verna was stolen from our apartment parking lot. I kept observing the Vernas on the road and spotted a couple of them without the antenna - just the base remaining. New found fancy among the petty thieves? Verna owners, keep a watch on the antennas, atleast in Bangalore!

BTW, nice DIY!
Not just Vernas; I lost my Duster's antenna from the basement car parking of my apartment complex. My question any metal piece which can be threaded on the rooftop of car should do, right? Cheers
Old 15th January 2014, 17:09   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A Team-BHP follower shares the following email:

Quote:
Dear All,

Recently I procured a Shark Fin antenna for my 2013 Swift from Amanzon.com (US site). The local accessories guy managed to replace the stock antenna with the new one. I must say he did a commendable job. The pictures attached here speak for themselves. It came with adequate length of wires and the reception is unaffected.
The Poor Man's Stubby (Roof Antenna)-2.1.jpg

The Poor Man's Stubby (Roof Antenna)-1.jpg

The Poor Man's Stubby (Roof Antenna)-3.1.jpg
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 19:09   #34
BHPian

Shark Fin Antenna for Hyundai 2014 Verna

Hello, I am looking at getting a shark fin antenna in my new 2014 Verna.

Reasons and Need:

1. The current antenna seems to stick out like a sore thumb in an otherwise beautifully proportioned car
2. My car is black in colour and I feel that a black shark fin will add to the look
3. I am not interested in getting just a cosmetic shark fin which is available en masse' and also retain the stock antenna. I have read a related thread on someone who did so and the result to me looked hideous
4. The stock antenna can be unscrewed and removed (I checked) and the shark fin should be able to sit on top (I have a link below which states this can be done)
5. I have low hanging trees where I live and the stock antenna rubs on the overhangs
6. I have a BMW pang which I need satiated and I like my ride to look good and slightly unique without going overboard

Questions

1. Will putting in the shark fin antenna void the warranty?
2. Should I check on the above with my SA?
3. Is there a OEM part available from Hyundai? I don't mind paying slightly extra in case the warranty concerns are addressed?
4. Has anyone in the forum done something similar on their Verna? If yes, how are the results?
5. I have seen a part which I like and which I think will fit. It fits the Hyundai Accent (the Verna in India). The link is provided here: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...016161861.html . I would like opinions
6. I have seen the VW Polo DIY and the Stubby DIY, but I don't personally like the look, so those options are ruled out.
6. Any alternate options?

Any suggestions / advice is welcome. Thanks.

Note: I am not associated with aliexpress. I could not find any thread which was similar and hence starting a new one. Mods please merge with an existing thread in case already available.
Old 9th May 2014, 21:17   #35
Senior - BHPian

Re: Shark Fin Antenna for Hyundai 2014 Verna

Please check following DIY threads by other members, this might give you some direction -

This thread mentions to be careful with sites like Ali express - Shark Fin Antenna for Polo

Another one - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...f-antenna.html
Old 10th May 2014, 16:30   #36
Senior - BHPian

The thread starter may have already gone through these threads.
He has referred these DIY projects at point 6 of his post.
Old 10th May 2014, 16:45   #37
Senior - BHPian

This should be easily done and should not typically void warranty IMO Hyundai dealers are not as anal about such things as VAG dealerships. Inquire with your SA because Hyundai stocks several accesseries and you never know; they might even have a shark fin antenna for you. If not go ahead with a DIY
Old 12th May 2014, 17:07   #38
BHPian

It's not available as an OEM accessory with hyundai
Old 8th July 2014, 16:02   #39
BHPian

So I finally solved my dilemma and ordered the shark fin and had it installed in a jiffy at 3M gurgaon which I frequent. There does seem a bit of an issue with radio reception, but I have USB for music so it isn't too much of a hassle and the cosmetic look is fairly enhanced and there is no voiding of the warranty since there is no wire cutting or splicing involved!
Old 17th February 2016, 12:33   #40
BHPian

Has anybody used this or similar?
Old 17th February 2016, 16:12   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
[i]What are you doing?
Uhhh.. Do you know where I put my shears?
What shears?

=============
[*]Its a good idea to use some tape to cover off the exposed end of the antenna before attaching the stubby so that it does not corrode.[/list]Do feel free to ask any questions or shoot me down for this absolutely ghastly DIY
Taseem

Very innovative indeed. Looks like something i can work with considering that i got the older antenna tooo

Last edited by khan_sultan : 17th February 2016 at 16:30. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 22nd February 2016, 16:40   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzz View Post
Has anybody used this or similar?
I found one with a local accessory guy. The price quoted was Rs. 1000 for the one with Radio connection and a bit less for just the cosmetic one. Didn't go for it since the 2016 Verna comes with stock Shark fin antenna and I might get an OEM itself after a few months.
Jaguar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 12:21   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I found one with a local accessory guy. The price quoted was Rs. 1000 for the one with Radio connection and a bit less for just the cosmetic one. Didn't go for it since the 2016 Verna comes with stock Shark fin antenna and I might get an OEM itself after a few months.
The official shark fin antenna from the new 2016 Verna/Creta costs 7.5k
Ebay zindabad.
Old 16th April 2016, 01:49   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
The official shark fin antenna from the new 2016 Verna/Creta costs 7.5k
Ebay zindabad.
The High cost can be attributed to its positioning Capabilities for the Inbuilt GPS Navigation system.

If you are looking for a Shark Fin, this seems worthy of a try, all for 600 Rupees approx. Haven't tried it myself but looks promising considering ER is a brand which manufactures OE antennas aswell.

http://www.amazon.in/Replacement-Rec...5-06dc1d6699e2

The Poor Man's Stubby (Roof Antenna)-416pdnpiskl.jpg

Comes with DIY instructions too :

The Poor Man's Stubby (Roof Antenna)-91gmtdmofel._sl1500_.jpg

The Poor Man's Stubby (Roof Antenna)-91cuwv2sbyl._sl1500_.jpgsal-

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks