Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2012, 15:26   #16
BHPian

Re: Exhaustive DIY: Cabin AC Filter cleaning of the Ford Figo

I feel, the hatches (Except entry level) have grown up & have almost equal or more level of equipment and features in comparison to a sedan. So they are bound to be expensive to repair than a hatch which is 10 year old (With almost nil equipment level). A sedan just has an extra boot and space to offer and everything from engine-transmission to electrical components are almost same.

I agree that the choked filter may put extra load on the AC, but IMO it will result in poor performance & cooling rather than any mechanical or electrical damage to the AC system.

Indeed the filter must have been conveniently placed, but for the trained hands its just a job of few minutes. For Example, Changing the oil and oil filter seems a pretty easy job, but if we decide to do it at home,i am sure we will face a lot more difficulty in reaching the filter and oil drain plug than we have imagined.

But for me, doing this thing myself was easier rather than running around the FASS.

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 6th March 2012 at 15:49.
Old 6th March 2012, 16:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

I checked on my car. The console is a single piece. But i'm 100% sure the a.s.s guys do not remove the console to change the filter. Coz i have got the filter changed at the very last moment during my last service. They did not change the filter and i asked them to change it just before taking delivery. The guy went under the passenger seat side with a new filter and came out with the old one. I really dont know how he did it.
Old 6th March 2012, 16:34   #18
BHPian

But the screws of the cover which is required to be opened to access the filter is hidden behind that console. May be there must be trick where they remove the filter by adjusting the console and the fuse box alone. As i said in earlier post, it would be matter of few minutes for trained hands. Seeing the filter i don't think the it needs a change unless its choked beyond cleaning. The material is like a fine plastic mesh, which can be easily washed/cleaned, just the like the window/split AC units @ home. How was the state of old filter in your car?

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 6th March 2012 at 16:36.
Old 6th March 2012, 16:36   #19
BHPian

Does this filter work when we use the recirculation mode?

Or is it only meant to filter the "fresh air"? If it is only for fresh air, does it really "filter" the air out of soot/fine dust? Looks like it is only meant for big particles.
Old 6th March 2012, 20:44   #20
BHPian

On next visit to the service center i will ask the process to open-up the filter for sure.

@ Sedate: I guess the filter works on either modes. The fresh air mode just adds outside air into the system, while re circulation mode keeps only the cabin air into the system.
Old 8th April 2012, 18:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

DIY: Cabin AC Filter cleaning of the Mahindra Xylo E8.

This is how I cleaned the Cabin AC Filter of our Mahindra Xylo E8 ABS on 18th March 2012 which had covered 1,36,030kms.

1) First remove the covers which hide the screws inside the glove-box.
Use a screw-driver to remove the same--
Exhaustive DIY: Cabin AC Filter cleaning of the Ford Figo-01-left-screw-cover.jpg
The left one
Exhaustive DIY: Cabin AC Filter cleaning of the Ford Figo-02-remove-left-screw-cover.jpg
The right one
Exhaustive DIY: Cabin AC Filter cleaning of the Ford Figo-03-remove-right-screw-cover.jpg

A Damper is provided for smooth "Fall" for Glove-box shown by Yellow arrow and a lock shown by red arrow on both sides to limit the opening (sorry don't know which word to use here) of Glove-box.
Exhaustive DIY: Cabin AC Filter cleaning of the Ford Figo-04-sa-left-slider.jpg
2) Press the clip shown by red arrow towards the glove box compartment (above pic is of left side) to remove the lock. Similarly press the right side one to remove the lock on right side too.

3) Remove the Damper's end by sliding it in the direction as shown by yellow arrows. Remove the screws too shown by blue arrows.
Exhaustive DIY: Cabin AC Filter cleaning of the Ford Figo-05-left-screw-how-remove-sa.jpg

Exhaustive DIY: Cabin AC Filter cleaning of the Ford Figo-06-removed-sa.jpg

Exhaustive DIY: Cabin AC Filter cleaning of the Ford Figo-07-right-screw.jpg

Exhaustive DIY: Cabin AC Filter cleaning of the Ford Figo-08-right-slider.jpg

4)Remove the Glove box Compartment.

5) Remove the cover of Cabin AC Filter after opening the Locks shown by red arrows
Exhaustive DIY: Cabin AC Filter cleaning of the Ford Figo-09.jpg
The Bottom View (from below the Blower) of the AC Filter Box (Right Side Lock). Pull the Lock towards you (while viewing from below)
Exhaustive DIY: Cabin AC Filter cleaning of the Ford Figo-10-right-clip.jpg
Similarly pull the Left Side Lock and remove the cover of AC Filter.
Exhaustive DIY: Cabin AC Filter cleaning of the Ford Figo-11-left-clip.jpg

6) Pull out the AC Filter slowly.
Exhaustive DIY: Cabin AC Filter cleaning of the Ford Figo-12.jpg

7) Clean the Filter with Soap and Water and then dry it. I washed it with Clothes washing bar and flushed with water.
This is how it looked after cleaning and drying (in sun).
Exhaustive DIY: Cabin AC Filter cleaning of the Ford Figo-13.jpg

8)Slide the Filter back in its place and fit the cover.
Exhaustive DIY: Cabin AC Filter cleaning of the Ford Figo-14.jpg

The Damper for Glove box.
Exhaustive DIY: Cabin AC Filter cleaning of the Ford Figo-15.jpg
Exhaustive DIY: Cabin AC Filter cleaning of the Ford Figo-16.jpg

9) Fit the Damper in the slot and also the Black Locks for Glove box.
Exhaustive DIY: Cabin AC Filter cleaning of the Ford Figo-17.jpg

10) Fit the screws at the base of Glove box compartment and the covers of the former.
Attached Thumbnails
Exhaustive DIY: Cabin AC Filter cleaning of the Ford Figo-18.jpg  

IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2012, 21:47   #22
BHPian

Thanks for posting. Now this thread boasts the filter cleaning DIY of a figo as well as a xylo. The placement of the filter in xylo is much convenient as compared to that of a figo. How was the filter before cleaning? Was it cleaned/replaced in past?
Old 8th April 2012, 22:00   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
2. Pull out the filter carefully
Is the filter flexible? Can be be bent without breaking? If it is, then it can be removed without removing the fuse box, right?
Old 8th April 2012, 22:03   #24
BHPian

The filter isn't flexible. It is a hard plastic frame, having a wire/net in between the sub-frames.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2012, 23:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, I don't have the picture before cleaning since I had got the AC Coil also cleaned from Local Mechanic.
When I went to him after he disassembled the Dashboard, AC Coil, etc., the Cabin Filter was not too dirty. May be he might have removed the dust and dirt accumulated over the cabin filter mesh.
But since I had seen him assembling the parts, I came to know the location of Cabin Filter and its removal procedure.
I followed it and cleaned the cabin filter myself the following day.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 8th April 2012 at 23:17.
Old 9th April 2012, 00:54   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Better would have been a small access area for the filter, which can be covered with a snap on cap which will make it easily serviceable. In Indian climatic condition and usage, this filter will be chocked in 20k kms. This will put load on the AC system and eventually lead to other costly replacements. So i feel this is a design goof up.

Imagine getting 1.5 to 2k bill for AC filter cleaning? Wont be a cheap product to maintain then. And i really dont think Ford is that cheap, it might be relatively cheap thanks to other manufacturer's who sell at crazy premium.

The whole concept of cheap hatches has changed in last few years, there is nothing cheap about them anymore
Exactly this is what I was thinking, Room, A.C. no matter a split of window unit is cleaned much often by most end users,
Like in my case, we heavily use bedroom A.C. and kids spend most of their leisure time in summer in this room itself we have a strict 15-21 days filter cleaning timeline to follow, this way it feels fresh, plus it certainly saves some electricity.

So when a room A.C. shows performance boost in 21 days, I am sure this would certainly show improvements for car which travels in dusty, muddy and extreme weather conditions.
Most hatchback manufacturers think that one would not need to clean it, or end user would not like to clean, but this will certainly help people driving in a cleaner environment.

I am sure removing this filter in Santro is Equally difficult, However I'll give it a chance this week.
if anybody knows how to remove the filter of santro please post, or PM.
Old 18th April 2012, 15:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

Could someone please post how to remove the Cabin Filter of Indigo?

When I tried to figure out how to access the Filter, I found that the Filter is of Sponge and is located inside dashboard but (may be) cannot be removed unless dashboard is removed.
Old 18th April 2012, 17:52   #28
BHPian

Great DIY BHO.
Can someone tell me if the procedure is the same for the Fiesta classic? My air-con is getting a bit smelly if the AC is switched off.
Old 19th April 2012, 10:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This is crazy, this part should have easy access. What was ford thinking.

But excellent DIY with great details.
Excellent DIY and well labeled pics too. Swift cabin filter is also placed awkwardly.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2012, 10:15   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Excellent DIY and well labeled pics too. Swift cabin filter is also placed awkwardly.
Actually NO, i have posted in detail sometime back. You just need to open the glove box tray (Its snap on) and then plonk in or out the filter. Would take max of 5 minutes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks