Team-BHP - DIY : Car Windshield Cleaning. Low cost method to get the Best Shine
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do it yourself (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/)
-   -   DIY : Car Windshield Cleaning. Low cost method to get the Best Shine (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/118817-diy-car-windshield-cleaning-low-cost-method-get-best-shine-7.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanjeevgpc (Post 3744547)
A good but bit risky way is use a brand new razor blade and try to scrape some area of glass to see if there is a layer on it. Glass is enough hard to not get damaged by a razor blade. Use a brand new one. If they parked your car in the paint booth, its definitely paint/clear coat.

Thanks Sanjeev, I will try to do it this weekend. Do you meant acetone is nothing but the nail polish remover ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santoshbhat (Post 3744736)
Well that's two things common with our cars now. My car also spent some time at their bodyshop for refitting of a misaligned bumper. What I find strange is that the light refraction is even and consistent over the entire windshield. Clear coat could be the culprit.

:deadhorse I feel like kicking those idiots at the service centre. I am planning to go to service centre again this saturday and talk to their body shop manager as i stay just 1km from the VW service centre.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRV2010 (Post 3744784)
Thanks Sanjeev, I will try to do it this weekend. Do you meant acetone is nothing but the nail polish remover ?

:deadhorse I feel like kicking those idiots at the service centre. I am planning to go to service centre again this saturday and talk to their body shop manager as i stay just 1km from the VW service centre.

Do one more test. Clean the bonnet/roof of car with water and after sun drying it, feel the paint to see if it feels a bit rough. If its a bit rough, than it's definitely over-spray from paint-booth. Paint can be removed with acetone/nailpolish remover but at times the clear coat is too hard and may require some glass polishing or special chemicals to remove it.

Recently I went to a BP petrol bunk to fill fuel. One part of the petrol bunk was being painted and there was wind as well. So I guess this BP yellow color sprinkled on my car and I could see some dots when I reached home. Immediately using a wet cloth I wiped out and it went off from the body part (around 6 were there). Mostly, there was moisture in air and since it was night it went off easily from the body paint.

However, I missed few dots on the car front windshield. There are around 4 dots which I missed to remove. Now they are very much stuck with the windshield and does not even come out even when wet.
Please guide on how to get rid of these yellow dots from the windshield?

Quote:

Originally Posted by deemash (Post 4621053)
Recently I went to a BP petrol bunk to fill fuel. One part of the petrol bunk was being painted and there was wind as well. So I guess this BP yellow color sprinkled on my car and I could see some dots when I reached home. Immediately using a wet cloth I wiped out and it went off from the body part (around 6 were there). Mostly, there was moisture in air and since it was night it went off easily from the body paint.

However, I missed few dots on the car front windshield. There are around 4 dots which I missed to remove. Now they are very much stuck with the windshield and does not even come out even when wet.

First try to clean the windshield area with thinner or nail polish remover. It is generally used by painters after painting house to wipe out excess paint from switch boards etc. If the thinner is not working then the issue is more serious. Please make sure that you are not using excessive amount of thinner, always use gloves while handling it.

If the above solution is not working, then try rubbing with a car clay bar with shampoo water or glass cleaner spray. Clean the area, spray the glass cleaner and rub gently with the clay bar on the area. You can purchase clay bar for around 300 bucks on amazon. Alternatively you can take the vehicle to nearest car spray paint shop, they will have the clay ready with them. They might help.

If the issue is not resolved, then try to remove the paint dots with a plastic blade. Please be really careful while using this method. If you apply too much pressure or force, it will scratch the windshield. Try slowly scratching the paint area and increase pressure as necessary.

Hopefully you will get the issue resolved in the first step itself. Let me know if this works.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deemash (Post 4621053)

You can either use a wet newspaper and if that does not work use a wet towel. Rubbing for some time will most probably remove the paint blobs.

You can also use a wooden ice cream stick to scrape the paint off. Do not use any hard or sharp object as that will scratch the windshield.

If nothing works, then wait for a few months for the sun to degrade the paint

try using WD40 / Diesel / Brake Oil on that glass, mostly it would remove those paint stains

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRV2010 (Post 3743895)
Thanks Parag. I have triedet..... it cleaned.

You can try the toothpaste and newspaper method - works like a charm to get rid of anything that's other than paint kind of stuff. For paint/layer of lacquer etc, razor blade and soap water would do the best. The blade has to be bent at an angle and not struck at 90 degrees. Had done this on my previous car that once had an overspray and the windshield which had a starring effect, especially in the rains.

SS80 (Anand)

Folks,

I tried below cost effective method to remove the hard water spots from windshield from my 13 years old Alto.

Things needed,

1. Paint Thinner - 80Rs
2. New Micro Fiber cloth - (2.Nos) - 200 Rs
3. Clean water
4. Car shampoo
5. Mask/Gloves
6. Lot of patience.

Steps,

1. Clean the windshield with car shampoo and dry it with with the new cloth. Make sure there is no dirt stick to the windshield. Once the windshield is completely dry, The hard water spots will be visible.

2. Take a new micro fiber cloth, Dip the Paint thinner in the cloth and gently rub the windshield. Start from the corners and check if there are any fade effect. If there are no fade/smudge in the windshield, Slowly repeat the same process in the full windshield.Once the cloth is dirty, Fold the cloth on the other side and dip the cloth again and proceed with the cleaning.

3. With this process, We can see the hard water salt deposits getting accumulated in the cloth.

4. Once the process is completed, Just clean the windshield with a microfiber cloth and you will see a brand new, clean windshield.

Make sure the paint thinner is away from the car body and not to split any thinner in the body/plastics. This will fade away the paint.

During this process, Wear gloves and masks. Thinner smell could be contagious to some. Also, make sure, kids are away during this process since paint thinner is flammable and not safe.

Thanks,

How to clean windshield from inside?

Do not use sponge, it makes swirl marks, rub with hand or microfibre that will be a better option.

Is good old Colin good enough or should I get the 3M Glass Cleaner. How different are they?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rroy92 (Post 5621751)
Is good old Colin good enough or should I get the 3M Glass Cleaner. How different are they?

The key ingredient in Colin/any other brand of glass cleaner is isopropyl alcohol. You could also buy I. alcohol and dilute with water