Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2012, 20:45   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do

I just read in the face book ,our Mr.Pavan ji, has shown his SUV with the Sun film removed and someone said that Sun control film makers have taken a stay order on the rule by supreme court, not knowing the truth.Others pls correct me if I am wrong.
Old 16th May 2012, 21:01   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Did you do the soaked newspaper thing?
15-20 minutes should get it off, I would think.
Just did that and also poured boiling hot water. Now its better as longer pieces are coming out. But still it's tough going. The film isn't coming off from a putty blade, hence using a blade. So its taking lots of time.
Old 16th May 2012, 21:32   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Karthik, pls try the old style shaving blades. Those are much thinner than the folding blades / paper cutters we get in the stationery shops
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 09:22   #154
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday night, i tried DIY on my rear quarter glass. It took me about 20 mins to clean just one quarter glass. Just used Mr Muscle,Water and finger nails.

After first glass, i had learnt enough lessons.
Key is to make sure that the film does not leave pieces. It should come off in one piece. If it partially comes out, then it is a struggle to then remove the remaining pieces
Quarter glass sun-films is one of the toughest to remove, because there are no edges exposed(side windows should be easier)

So i applied this logic on second quarter glass, and the whole film came out fully in couple of minutes. In 5 mins the glass was clean.

For Todays Agenda i have the rear window(and rear side windows if i get time) and finish it off on Friday.
Old 17th May 2012, 10:03   #155
BHPian

Thanks to all for such detailed discussion on various approaches.

Today morning, I removed the Sunfilm from my Safari. With a paper-cutter and a shampoo solution, it was quite easy. It took close to 2 hours for the cleaning up all the windows.

Getting the film out of all the glasses was quite easy. The hard part was removing the gum. Initially, I tried using the putty blade, but was not so successful in removing the gum.

Then, a car wash guy approached me and showed me how to use the paper cutter. It seems he works in a Car accessory shop and they have been doing the same all day from past week. He also gave the tip that Clinic Plus shampoo works the best (though I have not tried).
Old 17th May 2012, 13:06   #156
BHPian

Had the gum on the windows for 3 days now... Finally tried something that is even simpler and easier to use
- Dab cotton waste (or anything else) with a little petrol
- Rub the material in small portions over the gum
- Use a soft scrub pad
- Gum comes off with ease

Tried it with the rear windshield, in less then 5 mins had all the gum off
Next, use Cif or any other liquid soap to clean the petrol off and get rid of the petrol smell as well...

intoxicangel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 20:22   #157
Senior - BHPian

OK, I finally got the sun films removed from all the windows. My Swift now feels roomier(had these sunfilms from day one)

Only sad part is .. every bit of interior is now visible(i could spot the tiny paper cutter that i left behind inside the car in no time)

Here is what i did.

1. Took a bowl of boiling water(pour little by little from a flask, so that it stays boiling hot for 30-40 mins)
2.Dip a cloth in this hot water and keep applying this over the edges of the sunfilm.
3. Peel the sunfilm edge using fingertips(if required, give a small cut from the blade)
4. once you get hold of the small bit of sun-film, just keep pulling it further and applying hot water at the same time.(do this real slow)
5. Whole film will come off in minutes without even breaking(and leaves very little residue as well)
6. For cleaning the glass residue, i used scotchbrite(and a bit of glass cleaner), wiped the glass clean with hot water again and started rubbing it with scotchbite.

Cleaning the residue is bit time consuming, but if the sunfilm is removed by applying hot water, it does not leave much residue thereby reducing your effort
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 22:12   #158
BHPian

I tried my hand on the new Brio. Here is what I did
1. Used the facial steamer to peel off the film
2. Used petrol to remove the gum. (Petrol made life easy, after I tried soap with hot water, thinner etc)

The dealer was kind enough to provide the sunfilm without my request :-(
Old 18th May 2012, 09:07   #159

I removed the film on my Baleno yesterday. I had a Garware film on the side windows and back screen. The film as put when I had purchased the car 5 1/2 years back.

Started at 10 a.m.
- Made a small slit using a paper knife in the top middle part of the window.
- Pulled the film slowly. Was very careful near the corners. Do not use force at the corner, instead apply force about 3-4 inches from the corners.
- Took about 5-10 mins per window.
- There was a lot of gum left over. Most of them were not visible but when you pull the window down, you can hear the rubber at the corners crying.
- I used Mr. Muscle Window and Glass cleaner to remove the left over gum. It was not easy. Used a rough cotton cloth to rub the gum out. This took about 1 hour.
Completed all Windows and Back screen by 12:15 p.m. Take care of your palms after the job as Mr. Muscle will have a bad effect on your palms.

Lucky, the car had come with a green tint glass already.
Old 18th May 2012, 09:44   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushargohil View Post
hey guys... is that true that removing sun film is on hold??? can someone check bangalore FB page?

its time to get something like this ? :-) back to 10 years from now.... full privacy and easy to maintain too

http://www.qualir.com/images/car_curtains.jpg

Wholesale Via car curtain car Toyota Puri Special factory outlets
Check this link, these curtains are easy to use and remote operated. Need to enquire the cost. Amritras India | Offers high quality car window curtains to ensure privacy and comfort in your ride.
deepakr82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 11:46   #161
Senior - BHPian

I removed the sun films from my zen today morning, took me 30 minutes and a small pocket blade. Did not use any solution or anything, the film did not leave any glue on the glass as well.
Car feels roomy and naked at the same time. :(
Old 18th May 2012, 12:01   #162
Team-BHP Support

Guys few things to keep in mind.

1) You cant predict if the film is going to leave residue or not, depends on the age and quality of the film.
2) Though if you are careful and do the removal slowly, then chances are less/minimal.
3) For cleaning gum never use a blade or scotch bite directly. Ensure you spray some solvent, shampoo/glass cleaner/petrol etc and then use the blade etc to remove.
4) If you see gum on glass, leave the film hanging from the bottom edge, this will keep the gum away from seeping into the weather strip and falling over the door pad etc.

Hope this helps.
Jaggu is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 13:39   #163
Senior - BHPian

Read this news about extension in deadline for Sunfilm Removal till June 5th in Bangalore.

The Hindu : Cities / Bangalore : Sun film removal deadline extended till June 5

Not sure about other cities.

-Ravi
Old 18th May 2012, 17:17   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Read this news about extension in deadline for Sunfilm Removal till June 5th in Bangalore.

The Hindu : Cities / Bangalore : Sun film removal deadline extended till June 5

Not sure about other cities.

-Ravi
I am glad they extended the deadline in bangalore to june 5th 2012, how i wish the year was also extended.

there was an article in deccan hearald too:
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...-extended.html

strangely they have incresed the penalty amount from 100 for the first offence to Rs 300 now.and repaters will have to cough up Rs 500 for committing the offence a second time. If the act is repeated for the third time, the police will seize the vehicle.

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th May 2012 at 17:34. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid Copy paste from external font editors, also do a Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 19:08   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For cleaning gum never use a blade or scotch bite directly. Ensure you spray some solvent, shampoo/glass cleaner/petrol etc and then use the blade etc to remove.
Very true, I used scotch brite on a small portion of the quarter glass, it leaves scratches, I used Amway grease cleaner solution and a small piece of steel wool, all residue comes off easily once soaked in a soapy solution, glass wool leaves no scratches, just don't rub too hard.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks