Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2012, 20:02   #196
BHPian

Re: DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do

Hi,

Any idea how to get rid of the 3M watermark on CR70. Don’t want to run around the city advertising 3M especially to the cops.

And dont forget to remove the 3M sticker from quarter glass.

Last edited by enzo10 : 23rd May 2012 at 20:09.
Old 23rd May 2012, 20:21   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo10 View Post
Hi,

Any idea how to get rid of the 3M watermark on CR70. Don’t want to run around the city advertising 3M especially to the cops.

And dont forget to remove the 3M sticker from quarter glass.
I removed it using Petrol. Wet a clean cotton cloth with petrol (or even Kerosene) and dab it over the 3M mark. Rub very lightly and the mark would go off. Clean it off immediately using a clean cloth. Petrol evaporates fast, so if you do not clean it fast, the mark will spread. Even if it spreads, you can use more petrol to remove it completely. Use Colin or similar glass cleaner to do a final cleaning. Start with a mark on the top left corner of the windshield to get a hang of the removal process and then proceed to the other areas.
bejoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 12:53   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
I removed it using Petrol. Wet a clean cotton cloth with petrol (or even Kerosene) and dab it over the 3M mark. Rub very lightly and the mark would go off. Clean it off immediately using a clean cloth. Petrol evaporates fast, so if you do not clean it fast, the mark will spread. Even if it spreads, you can use more petrol to remove it completely. Use Colin or similar glass cleaner to do a final cleaning. Start with a mark on the top left corner of the windshield to get a hang of the removal process and then proceed to the other areas.
Thanks Bejoy,

Mission accomplished,

Used wifey's nail enamel remover, soaked a few drops on a cotton ball, dabbed twice on the watermark and as you said it just dissolves the 3m Logo. quickly swipe with a soft cotton cloth. repeat on the remaining 5 marks.

However, slight remains of the 3M logo can still be seen, if you look very closely for it. Didnot bother to rub it further to avoid ruining the film.

Did not use petrol mainly due to :
1) Diesel car, so would have to ask somebody for petrol
2) Chances of petrol leaving an orange tint (from the dye in petrol)
Old 25th May 2012, 11:32   #199
BHPian

I removed my Xylo's sunfilm myself in less than 30. All i did was, i pulled out the sunfilm at one edge using a normal shaving blade (Without scratching the glass) and then removed/pulled out the entire sunfilm in one piece slowly.The clened the glass using my armourall glass cleaner and the glass is as shiny as the day i bought the car.

Disclaimer : DIY at own risk. my cars sunfilm came out in one piece so it worked well for me.
Old 25th May 2012, 22:01   #200
BHPian

Posted this in a different thread. Saw this thread now and posting it here. :-)
I removed the tints in both my cars using the DIY principle.
the only ingredients required are
1) Blade (the old style blades)
2) Soap water
3) Colin
4) cloth.
Put the soap water on the sun film and using the blade draw lines and then just pull them off. if the sun film was of not good quality(on my i10) the glue will be on the glass and use colin to get rid of them. on the 3M films(on the tjet), i did not have to use so much colin, the sun film came out quite nicely. For the rear glass, drawing line is not advisable. so just use the blade to get a grip and then pull the film slowly.
In some screwed up place in yelahanka they were asking 250 for the removal and i guess in 3M place about 500+.
Old 26th May 2012, 14:05   #201
BHPian

Another drop in the ocean…
I removed the sun film on my Maruti 800 today morning. This DYI thread inspired me to do give it a go. All I used was a blade, plastic ruler and this steamer.

DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do-steamer.jpg

Film on all the four windows, quarter glass of rear window and rear glass came of easily. Very little gum was left behind on one of the rear windows.

I had to struggle a little for the quarter glass near the boot area. That’s where the steamer came to my rescue. To remove the gum left behind; I just steamed that area on the glass and scraped off the gum with a plastic ruler.

Got all this done within 30 minutes. At the end of it I had mixed feelings. On one hand I was happy I could do this myself and that too properly, but then I was also frustrated that I had to remove the sun film.

Last edited by sumeshmani : 26th May 2012 at 14:08.
Old 1st June 2012, 11:17   #202
BHPian

Yesterday I used Bhrath Bandh holiday to remove sunflim of my 2 cars and I was almost successful.
In 2 side glass some streaks of gum residue is there. I tried removing from Colin and I was not much successful
Any pointers to remove the same
Is kerosene oil or Tarpin oil will remove glue streaks

Last edited by aka_iitd : 1st June 2012 at 11:19.
Old 1st June 2012, 11:20   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Yesterday I used Bhrath Bandh holiday to remove sunflim of my 2 cars and I was almost successful.
In 2 side glass some streaks of gum residue is there. I tried removing from Colin and I was not much successful
Colin (or even Surf) is more than enough to remove the residual gum. you just gotta have lots of patience to rub it off
Old 1st June 2012, 12:10   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
probably one of the best possible methods to remove residual glue would be to spray the glass liberally with shampoo solution and scrap off with a thin putty blade. This has been tried and tested by many already in the forum including me.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...blade_nail.jpg

You have to take care that the solution does not enter the power window switches. Also special care has to be taken while scrapping off the glue on the border of the glasses as the blade is sharp all around and it might inflict damage on the side rubber beading!
And not to forget, do take care of your hands!
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 12:47   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
probably one of the best possible methods to remove residual glue would be to spray the glass liberally with shampoo solution and scrap off with a thin putty blade. This has been tried and tested by many already in the forum including me.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...blade_nail.jpg

You have to take care that the solution does not enter the power window switches. Also special care has to be taken while scrapping off the glue on the border of the glasses as the blade is sharp all around and it might inflict damage on the side rubber beading!
And not to forget, do take care of your hands!
Thanks I will try the shampoo solution and the normal razor blade/putty blade to remove the extra gum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Colin (or even Surf) is more than enough to remove the residual gum. you just gotta have lots of patience to rub it off
Patience which I have quite less Anyway I will try again Colin and putty blade to do it
Old 1st June 2012, 12:58   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd
Whatever you use, let it soak for a while.
Old 1st June 2012, 13:28   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Try paint thinner. Worked well for me. Use liberal amounts on a waste rag or a sponge and wipe the glass. Remember to keep all windows open and take frequent breaks. If the fumes make you uncomfortable then step out for a bit.

Another solution is the steam the windows and scrape off the glue.

Dont use anything to scrape off the glue from the rear window if you have a defogger.

Parik

Last edited by parik_ind : 1st June 2012 at 13:29. Reason: spelling error
parik_ind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 13:47   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parik_ind View Post
Try paint thinner. Worked well for me. Use liberal amounts on a waste rag or a sponge and wipe the glass. Remember to keep all windows open and take frequent breaks. If the fumes make you uncomfortable then step out for a bit.

Another solution is the steam the windows and scrape off the glue.

Dont use anything to scrape off the glue from the rear window if you have a defogger.

Parik

Thanks Parik, thinner is very good for removing stains however should be used with caution. I have used it number of times while doing small touchups and removing stickers.
Old 1st June 2012, 16:03   #209
BHPian

I have removed my sunfilm last weekend and there is nothing to it.I used a small pen knife, slanted it almost flat against the glass, made a cut in the film. Then using hands, pulled the sheet off. Very little residual glue which went off completely with a domestic glass cleaning fluid and 3M cleaning cloth (sorry dont know the name of the cloth, anti-something)

The only thing you need to be careful of is the pressure you apply while pulling the film off. Try a consistent, slow approace, with a little sudden jerks as possible and try not to stop/pause while pulling the film off. I stopped for a few times due to my hands/arm getting tired for one window and I noticed considerably more glue residue on that window.
Anyone staying near/in HSR area, if you need help, I can help you (free of course - but always open for charitable giving )
Old 1st June 2012, 16:31   #210
Senior - BHPian

I removed my car film in 20 mins flat, just by hand. What i did was, i started removing film from a corner with my nail, slowly slowly pulled out the whole film. In whole process no glue was left on the windows, nor film came off in parts. All of them came off in just 1 piece ( I had films on all 4 doors and back ) .

I must say it was an easy job, saved 200 Rs in 20 mins

Cheers
Sameer

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks