Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2014, 11:57   #316
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyank View Post
No my colleague's was a red swift, he had a very light sun film. still was challaned
I had light sun film, I was waiting to see whether there would be a change in the court verdict. In past month, I got warned once and challaned over the weekend. I was passing that way after getting the film removed

Last edited by ajmat : 21st January 2014 at 12:04.
Old 17th May 2014, 08:06   #317
BHPian

Thanks for this thread. I removed my Garware Classic sunfilm reluctantly. Took almost 45 minutes to get it done for my Waggy which has a defogger.
Old 17th May 2014, 10:21   #318
Senior - BHPian

even the CR-70 won't survive this onslaught of the sun film brigade? i was thinking of putting the CR-70 for the front and back windscreens as when i drive to work, i face the sun most of the time. the heat renders the A/C useless unless i crank it up, higher than usual.
Old 20th May 2014, 18:58   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
even the CR-70 won't survive this onslaught of the sun film brigade? i was thinking of putting the CR-70 for the front and back windscreens as when i drive to work, i face the sun most of the time. the heat renders the A/C useless unless i crank it up, higher than usual.
I have CR-70 on the front and back and it has helped a lot in reducing the heat in the cabin. In addition, I've gone for the edge to edge sunshades for the sides and they've helped too. Been through 3 states since the installation and it's been fine. Much to my surprise, I still see a lot of SUVs in Maharashtra with opaque films (<20% visibility)!
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 19:08   #320
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Actually, you have to ensure that following is taken care while doing installation:
1. On the windows, no area without film ( i.e. no glass border without film should be visible, when windows are rolled down)
2. On the rear screen, installation without cuts - i.e. single piece installation
3. No bubbles or cuts all around - neat and clean installation

While choosing the films take care of the following:
1. Avoid films which has a visible tint - some films even with high degree of transparency have light blue or light tint, which will stand out. I think gray is better
2. Avoid films which are reflective

If you take care of the above, I believe nobody will be able to make out that you have a film applied on glasses.

Last week, I have put Garware Ice cool shield on my wind screen and some other Garware film (with 70% transparency and 35% heat rejection) on windows and rear glass. My experience is that unless told, and even after that it is very difficult to notice that there is a film on the glass.

So, in nut shell, if you go for CR70 type film, and ensure good installation, I believe police on road would not be able to detect that.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

JLS
JLS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 13:22   #321
BHPian

Had legal films fixed on my Gypsy King 2011 5-door, and was procrastinating on removing them after the Supreme Court's total ban. Reasons being a) Calcutta/WB police are still ignoring light films, and b) they normally do not touch a white Gypsy even for other small violations. But when another ruling party MLA went on a rampage in his dark-tinted SUV, I braced myself as such incidents backfire on the common people.

Sure enough, on Saturday 7th June, a Govt. of India stickered Indigo CS (yellow number plate- contract car) just in front of me at a red light was stopped for its light-tinted, previously legal film l. I was thinking that if it had a "Govt. of WB" sticker, cops would not have dared! But they still ignored me !

Deciding not to push my luck any further, I resolved to remove the sunfilms myself on Sunday, but was not sure how. When it struck me to search TBHP fora for a solution, I was rewarded with volumes of experiences and opinions.

But scared with the options of 'reverse engineering', wet newsprint, ethyl alcohol, petrol, diesel, kerosene, WD40, Colinspray, solar heating etc. I decided to push my luck again !

Simply scratched a corner of each window with thumbnail, pulled evenly & firmly and the more than 3-yr old Garware films all came out within an hour (including rest stops)! There was no gum residue either, probably because I did not use any water!

Now I shall have to explore the expensive option of fitting transparent film all around -- if no tint is visible, the cops surely will not bother!
Old 12th June 2014, 18:46   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Seems to be an exercise in futility now, with these kind of cars roaming.
Hell, my film was allowing at least a view inside the car, albeit a little tinted.
How can this be legal?
This may be legal only in a parked car, e.g. one left standing all day outdoors. But if this one was on the move, policemen still may not stop it unless there is a compounding offence, such as having disobeyed a red light, which brings attention to the screens.
Old 28th July 2014, 16:19   #323
BHPian

Was stopped last saturday on Indiranagar 80 feet road/Old Madras road junction for having sunfilm. Was let off without any fine and a warning to 'remove it quickly'.

Need to find time to do this soon.
Old 3rd August 2014, 13:42   #324
BHPian

Strangely enough, cops in Calcutta as well in rest of WB are not doing anything to get sunfilm removed wholesale -- only in case the vehicle in question commits some other violation !

As a result new cars are still installing the film, sometimes quite dark to have been disqualified even earlier. Feel so foolish to have removed Rs.1200/- worth of ordinary Garware. Am now getting quotations of 8500/- to 9500/- for Garware Icecool Elite, for a Gypsy 5-ddor (all panes except windscreen) !
Old 2nd February 2015, 09:38   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
I removed the garware tint of my 11 year old car, i was able to remove the tint in one go, but not able to get the glue off. I tried my hands with colin no use, then used NC thinner to remove the glue of no use. Now the car looks even more dirty.

All efforts with colins, mr muscle, turpentine, thinner, kerosene, petrol, wd-40, etc will be waste of time. Use nail polish remover (or Acetone) and the residual gum will be dissolved in seconds and the glass will get spotless. This is a tried and tested thing.
arun_112 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 18:56   #326
BHPian

Last summer was horrible, with the weak A/C fitted in my Gypsy King by Calcutta's best (Daga Autolek) struggling to cope without assistance from any film, particularly in traffic jams.

Decided to go in for Garware Icecool , but had to wait till November for the rainy/cloudy days to be over, as everyone advised against installing sunfilm without strong sunlight, before and after !

But when the time came, I was dismayed to find that they do not have have the really transparent ones in stock, as nobody fits them ! As opposed to Icecool Elite, they advised, almost forced me to go in for 'Classic Lite', for half the price ( 4000/-). But I still have a tint, which may pass for tinted glasses provided by nearly all manufacturers since the total ban, except for the telltale strips on the rear ! And they refused to fit edge to edge on other windows too, saying it will peel quicker !

So I will pass every 'surprise sunfilm checkpoint' with heart palpitations, hoping that the 'White Gypsy Syndrome' will work (that it is a Govt. vehicle) before they look at the windows ! Police and VIP vehicles still use dark films here in Calcutta/WB.

If ever caught and fined/forced to remove film, I will have to really get the transparent ones, even if it means pushing the dealers to get it specially for me. For, like actress Vidya Balan, I cannot do without it. I read once that she keeps paying the fine but refuses to have the film removed ! But even she must have got a new car with light-tint glasses by now. Almost every car comes with shaded glass these days, except the Gypsy and Omni and Eeco !
Old 16th November 2022, 13:10   #327
BHPian

Hi all,
My WagonRs' sun film was removed around 10 years ago but gum residue still remains and I for many reasons couldn't remove it till now. Gave it a try of removing using WD40 but to no avail. Now I am not sure how to remove it. Any help please?
Thanks,
Ramki
Attached Thumbnails
DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do-img_20221107_082144.jpg  

Old 16th November 2022, 13:54   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hi all,
My WagonRs' sun film was removed around 10 years ago but gum residue still remains and I for many reasons couldn't remove it till now. Gave it a try of removing using WD40 but to no avail. Now I am not sure how to remove it. Any help please?
Thanks,
Ramki
It is very difficult to remove old dried-up gum residue. 3M has an adhesive removal spray can.

https://www.amazon.in/3M-General-Pur.../dp/B0002NUO6K

. Alternatively, if the glass is cheap, might as well replace the glass if the cost of removing the adhesive is more expensive than the cost of glass
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 14:34   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
It is very difficult to remove old dried-up gum residue. 3M has an adhesive removal spray can.

https://www.amazon.in/3M-General-Pur.../dp/B0002NUO6K

. Alternatively, if the glass is cheap, might as well replace the glass if the cost of removing the adhesive is more expensive than the cost of glass
Thanks for the suggestions. All the glasses(except windscreen) are in this condition. So replacing all glasses are out of the question for me.

Last edited by ramki067 : 16th November 2022 at 14:35.
Old 16th November 2022, 14:35   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hi all,
Thanks,
Ramki
Try WD40 or 3M adhesive remover but you should let it soak so that the glue softens. Alternatively if you have a steamer you can try with that as well. Once you soak the gum in either way, get a box of snap off cutter blades and with light pressure scrape the gum out. Will work for any adhesive on glass but ensure the surface is always wet by either liberally using the adhesive remover or by using soap or shampoo spray.

There is no single best method for this but the key is to first let the gum soften up and then scrape it off. It can't be wiped off with a cloth no matter what liquid or solvent you use.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks