Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2012, 14:20   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do

I am planning to use the hair dryer to heat the film and remove it. I am leaving the front windscreen film as is. Will see if the police can recognize that and only then will I try.
Old 10th May 2012, 15:54   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
short and sweet of it, as it stands as per law right now:
no sun film, ranging from 0%to 100%.
anywhere.
I was also wondering if sun films of permissible light transmission is allowed.
Reviewed the judgement on the SC website in layman terms.
It clearly states
"we partially allow this writ petition and prohibit use of black films of any percentage VLT upon the safety glasses, windscreens (front and rear) and side glasses."

However, if the manufacturer delivers the car with tinted glasses (50% VLT for windows, 70% VLT for front and rear) it is fine.

I find this logic absolutely absurd (tinted glass or sun film, the problems being addressed remain same!). But what SC says now has to be followed.

Read some more reports that the sun film manufacturers are planning to contest this judgement. So will wait till the last day before pulling off my sun films.
Old 10th May 2012, 16:08   #33
Team-BHP Support

It make a big difference based on the brand and quality of suncontrol film. Last week i stripped santro off, windshield had 3M and sides some other brand i believe. This is what i did.

Took the car out and parked it in the open for about an hour, nice hot sun. Moved it to shade, peeled off the front 3M it came out as one piece, few very very minor spots of gum. Then started with side windows and boy oh boy, some came in single piece, some as many pieces, but majority started peeling off as two layers! The tinted layer comes off and the transparent layer would stick to the glass.

Changed the approach and started peeling off the clear layer also carefully along with the tinted layer, as and when they both separated. Took about 10-15 mts for the whole peeling off process. Used a normal cutter blade to get to the edges, to start the peel job.

Then the painful process of cleaning the gum started, oh yeah the cheaper side films left lot of gum, please note the film would be atleast 5 years old.

Quote:
Process- Old bottle of colin, filled with Sonax shampoo and glass cleaner about 1 cap each mixed with water. Spray, soak and clean off with the blade. Took some 3 hours with breaks!!
Have 4 more cars to go, so this time got some putty blade to do the gum cleaning. Have to be careful with them i guess. But i would wait till 19th since the Bangalore cops have given time and am an eternal optimist.

Somebody please file a PIL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post
However, if the manufacturer delivers the car with tinted glasses (50% VLT for windows, 70% VLT for front and rear) it is fine.

I find this logic absolutely absurd (tinted glass or sun film, the problems being addressed remain same!). But what SC says now has to be followed.
Reason also is mentioned in the judgement IIRC, no fool proof way of measuring and authorities don't have money to buy the equipment to implement it uniform at ground level. So to avoid any subjectiveness, point blank ban. How brilliant!

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th May 2012 at 16:11.
Old 10th May 2012, 16:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

Our Nano had 3M film on windows and rear glass, tried pasting newspaper soaked in soap solution, it kept falling off, so on another window, just sprayed soap solution and using a painter's putty blade got off enough paper to grip and kept peeling, spraying soap solution between glass and peeling paper now and then to keep it wet, the sunfilm peeled off in one piece in all the windows.
Next the Optra and then Safari.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 19:11   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great one, Mayankk. Thanks!

Those of you who have sunfilm installed on the front windscreen, please be extremely cautious at the time of removal. Any water dripping and going into your dashboard can potentially create issues Link to Thread.

Will they really go after the front windscreen if the other windows are also completely transparent? The front film is transparent anyway.
HKap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 19:16   #36
BHPian

For those faint hearted / lazy people, you can safely get them removed at 3M Car Care centers. I got it done today and they charged Rs 400 for removal and re-conditioning of the glasses. Much better than random Car accessory shop, though a trusted car accessory shop guy could still do the job for less.
Removing these Sun Screens are like getting Tattoo removed. Costs more for removing and more painful.
Hope some Sun Cream company is not behind this SC 'Diktat' ! This rule has been very strongly enforced in Delhi for long, still all those 'Shakti Kapoors' have been on the loose with their adventures.
Old 10th May 2012, 20:22   #37
BHPian

Incase a film removal does leave some adhesive residue in spots, use a cloth with some diluted alcohol over it and it gets cleaned perfectly. Make sure you dont spill it on plastic trims. A colin glass cleaner also works neat.
gopa99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 20:42   #38
BHPian

The bangalore police has published the below artcile in TOI bangalore edition news paper :

City traffic police have arranged ten centres to remove black film from the windscreens and window glasses of vehicles. The centres will function from May 10 and removal will be done free of cost,additional commissioner of police (traffic) MA Saleem said in a press release.
He said the deadline for removal of sun film is May 19, and all ten centres will function every day between 9am and 6pm till then. Police will slap heavy fines if motorists do not comply with the directions of the Supreme Court which has prohibited the use of black film or any other material on the glasses and windscreens (front and rear) of vehicles. The apex court had also directed police to ensure compliance of the directions from May 4. A special drive will be conducted to prosecute violators of the rule.

FIX THEM HERE

BRV Grounds, Shivajinagar

City Armed Reserve (South) Grounds, Audugodi

City Armed Reserve (headquarters) Grounds, Mysore Road

Malleswaram Grounds

Madhavan Park, Jayanagar

Toll Plaza, BIA Road

Yelahanka police station

East Football Grounds, Fraser Town

Near Kanteerava Stadium

BDA Complex, Indiranagar
Old 10th May 2012, 21:37   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujjwaana View Post
For those faint hearted / lazy people, you can safely get them removed at 3M Car Care centers.
Guys, any such 3M car care center in Gurgaon/Delhi ?
Old 11th May 2012, 10:14   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Chariot View Post
FIX THEM HERE
If it is not being done professionally, better follow the DIY process to get it removed.
Pic: TOI, Bangalore
Attached Thumbnails
DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do-sf.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 12th May 2012 at 16:24. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 11th May 2012, 10:33   #41
Senior - BHPian

Dont understand why people are spraying water/soap over the sunfilm. When installing they do it for lubrication when wiping it to remove bubbles. You cant soak the film. Its not paper.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 11:16   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva
Dont understand why people are spraying water/soap over the sunfilm. When installing they do it for lubrication when wiping it to remove bubbles. You cant soak the film. Its not paper.
The glue is water based, or at least lets go when shown water.
Old 11th May 2012, 11:29   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I did myself without any of these. Parked the car in sunlight for about 2 hours, just used a blade to get one end of film, peeled it off gently from top end and the film came off in one/two pieces. No adhesive was present in glass hence no cleaner/thinner/remover. Gave the car for regular weekly wash. Thats it.

Be more patient while removing rear film if there is a defogger.
Old 11th May 2012, 11:48   #44
BHPian

Is there a 3M in Indiranagar / Domlur/Ulsoor / Whitefield that can remove my beloved 3Ms

[quote=coolclouds;2773749]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Chariot View Post

FIX THEM HERE

BRV Grounds, Shivajinagar

City Armed Reserve (South) Grounds, Audugodi

City Armed Reserve (headquarters) Grounds, Mysore Road

Malleswaram Grounds

Madhavan Park, Jayanagar

Toll Plaza, BIA Road

Yelahanka police station

East Football Grounds, Fraser Town

Near Kanteerava Stadium

BDA Complex, Indiranagar
[/QUOTE

If it is not being done professionally, better follow the DIY process to get it removed.
Pic: TOI, Bangalore
Old 11th May 2012, 12:02   #45
BHPian

Did a DIY a few minutes back. For two windows used the soaked newspaper technique, worked, but the lead time was getting boring. For the rest, used a hair dryer to heat up one edge and pulled it out cleanly. This is for my 11 year old Santro. Feels different now.

Total time spent - 20 minutes for all windows (including rear door)
Downside - mosquitoes in the basement

Now just need to clean up some gum residue left in some places, which i think soap water or a thinner should do in no time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks