Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2012, 12:00   #46
BHPian

Need Water by-pass adaptor

Guys,
Attached a picture for reference. I searched for the part circled in Red. Not a single LPG fitter out of the 8 shops that I raided yesterday, had it for a 118NE. If some one has a spare piece could you please part it for me. Else, at least please measure the OD of this metal pipe and post it here so that I can get one fabricated. Otherwise, any info on the size of hose used will also be helpful.
This part is needed for welding the nuts for coolant temperature sensor and fan control switch.
-Ilango
Attached Thumbnails
DIY ECU : Megasquirting the Premier 118NE-underhood.jpg  

Old 2nd November 2012, 10:20   #47
BHPian

Airfilter Adaptor & Cam position sensor

Hi all,
Attached some pictures of how the 118NE airfiltr will be mounted on top of the Hyundai Santro Throttle body, and the adaptation made on the distributor shaft to install the 36-2 wheel in place of the distributor cam.
The weights were removed from the distributor and the top shaft was CO2 welded. An aluminium spacer was fabricated to accomodate the toothed wheel over the shaft.
-Ilango
Attached Thumbnails
DIY ECU : Megasquirting the Premier 118NE-airfilter_adaptor.jpg  

DIY ECU : Megasquirting the Premier 118NE-airfilter_adaptor_topview.jpg  

DIY ECU : Megasquirting the Premier 118NE-distributor_housing.jpg  

DIY ECU : Megasquirting the Premier 118NE-camsensor_rotor.jpg  

DIY ECU : Megasquirting the Premier 118NE-toothed_wheel.jpg  

DIY ECU : Megasquirting the Premier 118NE-toothed_wheel_top.jpg  

ilangop is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 22:13   #48
BHPian

Re: Need Water by-pass adaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Guys,
Attached a picture for reference. I searched for the part circled in Red. Not a single LPG fitter out of the 8 shops that I raided yesterday, had it for a 118NE. If some one has a spare piece could you please part it for me. Else, at least please measure the OD of this metal pipe and post it here so that I can get one fabricated. Otherwise, any info on the size of hose used will also be helpful.
This part is needed for welding the nuts for coolant temperature sensor and fan control switch.
-Ilango

The part looks like a t fitting to have a coolant line to the gas vaporisor ( i think) , you should be able to get it in a radiator shop. I am sure a ford ikon / indica hose will be a fit. this is the hose which goes form radiator to the degas chamber.
Catalyst_delhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 08:55   #49
BHPian

Re: Need Water by-pass adaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
The part looks like a t fitting to have a coolant line to the gas vaporisor ( i think) , you should be able to get it in a radiator shop.
Yes bro, it is the same part. Will check at a radiator shop in the coming week, before heading to get one fabricated. Thanks for your input
-Ilango
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 14:55   #50
BHPian

Re: DIY ECU : Megasquirting the Premier 118NE

the adaptation you have made to install the ne filter will most definitely reduce performance by restricting airflow and making it turbulent.It design definitely needs refining. The member on top of the adapter is too thick. atleast grind it in the areas between the fastners into a more streamlined and narrow shape, or else just go for a k&n style fiter to remove the adapter completely, cuz this will definitely affect your top end performance
mycarhasablower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 22:40   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
the adaptation you have made to install the ne filter will most definitely reduce performance by restricting airflow and making it turbulent.It design definitely needs refining. The member on top of the adapter is too thick. atleast grind it in the areas between the fastners into a more streamlined and narrow shape, or else just go for a k&n style fiter to remove the adapter completely, cuz this will definitely affect your top end performance
HI, Please refer to the attached pics.
One of them shows the Hitachi carb and its filter arrangement. Hope you are familar with the M800 carb and air filter arrangement. That is how the throttle body will replace the carb and the old air filter will be used. The top member is for the filter cover piece as in the M800. Anyways this isa first level arrangement. If there is a need for further streamlining the air flow I am open for modifying the layout.
-Ilango
Attached Thumbnails
DIY ECU : Megasquirting the Premier 118NE-03112012336.jpg  

DIY ECU : Megasquirting the Premier 118NE-03112012338.jpg  

Last edited by ilangop : 3rd November 2012 at 22:52.
ilangop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2012, 09:14   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
If there is a need for further streamlining the air flow I am open for modifying the layout.
-Ilango
The stock filter will reduce inflow at high rpm. You could try routing that inlet right upto the front grill.

Or try the universal K&N air filter for the zen, esteem - 1.4 litre category.
Old 4th April 2013, 22:45   #53
BHPian

waiting for updates on this project. i was hoping that once you finish this project you could take a look at installing abs in a carb car if thats even possible , cuz i would love to make these mods to my cars
Old 5th April 2013, 09:38   #54
BHPian

Quote:
waiting for updates on this project.
Hi dude,
Trying to fit in the surge tank inside the boot itself. Previously I had the idea of placing it inside the bonnet. But considering the level of fuel return path, I had to relocate it into the trunk. I am just waiting for experts to reply a doubt regarding the existing electric fuel pump in my 118NE. I have posted the same in the premier 118NE thread also.

Also I had involved a lathe guy to fabricate small components for my. Unfortunately due to bad times in the industrial area he hasn't turned up to his shop since 2 months. I have partly modified the distributor to accommodate a camwheel and a cam sensor. After finishing this part, I can partly wire the ECU and try setting up the ignition system alone and run for a while till I make an adapter for the throttle body and intake manifold. This is the current status
Old 9th October 2013, 11:29   #55
BHPian

Hi Ilango, no update for a long time. How is the progress?
Old 9th October 2013, 11:48   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim_peter View Post
Hi Ilango, no update for a long time. How is the progress?
Peter, Not any at the moment. Stuck with other personal and professional commitments. :( Fighting for time for such pending projects.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 12:53   #57
BHPian

The trigger wheel

After tackling the odds, I found some time for the trigger wheel. I wanted to start with the Ignition setup and run the car for a while and fine tune the ignition maps with the carburetor setup.
Initially I had the idea of installing the wheel in place of the distributor itself. But later I thought of leaving the distributor in place so that it can save me till I again confidence with this upgrade. The attached picture shows the shape and dimensions of the triggerwheel which will find place behind the crank pulley (not an easy job though - the gap between the timing chain cover and pulley is too less. Hope to receive the laser-cut pulley by today or tomorrow.
Regards,
Ilango
Attached Thumbnails
DIY ECU : Megasquirting the Premier 118NE-triggerwheel.jpg  

Old 2nd December 2013, 18:15   #58
BHPian

Hi Ilangop. nice progress. May I know the cost of MS2 v3.00 board kit.
Old 2nd December 2013, 21:16   #59
Senior - BHPian

Re: The trigger wheel

Quote:
The attached picture shows the shape and dimensions of the triggerwheel which will find place behind the crank pulley (not an easy job though -
What is the diameter of the crank pulley?
Better still would you post a front and side views of the pulley/ tonering/ sensor assembly?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 4th December 2013, 10:17   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
What is the diameter of the crank pulley?
Better still would you post a front and side views of the pulley/ tonering/ sensor assembly?
Hi Sutripa, The crank Pulley Dia = 5.5" or 139 mm. I had measured and also cross checked with internet references.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
Hi Ilangop. nice progress. May I know the cost of MS2 v3.00 board kit.
Bought it at USD 278. http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...ase-p-119.html
I had my brother-in-law working in the US, so I didn't have to tackle customs & freight charges to India.
Attached some pictures of the Laser-cut wheel.
A reference from this site http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediaw...php?title=EDIS says that is it difficult to install the Ford wheel (9 mm thick) behind the Nissan crank pulley. Mine is 6mm thick. Not sure if it would need some machining to install it behind or the last option is to install it in front of the crank pulley. Will be going to my mechanic to understand the fitment options. But I am worried with option 2 as the sensor needs to placed with a long cantilever extending from the crankcase, which may or may not induce some noise in the generated signal.

Regards,
Ilango
Attached Thumbnails
DIY ECU : Megasquirting the Premier 118NE-triggerwheel1.jpg  

DIY ECU : Megasquirting the Premier 118NE-triggerwheel_pulley.jpg  

DIY ECU : Megasquirting the Premier 118NE-triggerwheel2.jpg  

Most Viewed