Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2013, 06:46   #61
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY - Cheaper Car Perfume Refill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Try out what I mentioned in post No 54 above. That smells superb and lasts. The effect is evident every time you step into your ride.
Thanks Rajeev! Have made a note of it earlier as well. Was just wondering what would be a good place to start looking out for industrial perfumes?

What are these industrial purfumes used for? May be that answer would provide some hint for where to start looking.

EDIT: May be a shop that sells raw material for making soaps?

Last edited by SDP : 7th September 2013 at 07:04.
Old 7th September 2013, 08:40   #62
BHPian

I left an Odonil in my Fortuner for a week and the car smells nice. It also took care of humidity.

My question is are things like Odonil OK to keep in cars or are there any problems associated with this.
Old 8th September 2013, 23:56   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
May be a shop that sells raw material for making soaps?
You are right.
These days, there are many such shops in every city.

Last edited by rajeev k : 8th September 2013 at 23:59.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 16:38   #64
Senior - BHPian

I dont think there will be any problem in doing this , in fact once i am over and done with what i have in my car i might use something like this as well , at the very maximum i suspect that the "strength" of the smell might be more than the usual car perfumes and then it would be on a personal basis if the intensity of the smell is good or bad.

Probably rolling down the windows for a minute or so should take care of it being overpowering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
I left an Odonil in my Fortuner for a week and the car smells nice. It also took care of humidity.

My question is are things like Odonil OK to keep in cars or are there any problems associated with this.
Old 9th September 2013, 18:39   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
I dont think there will be any problem in doing this , in fact once i am over and done with what i have in my car i might use something like this as well , at the very maximum i suspect that the "strength" of the smell might be more than the usual car perfumes and then it would be on a personal basis if the intensity of the smell is good or bad.

Probably rolling down the windows for a minute or so should take care of it being overpowering.
I kept another odonil in my other car and it's been two days now. Fragrance is nice and mellow not overpowering. Trick is to open the foil only a little bit but open the slits on the box completely.

At 20 rs a box you can't complain and it lasts too. The one in the other car is two weeks olf and still 70% left.
eq24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 18:52   #66
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Tried camphor as suggested by Achilless on page-3. Works well!

Going to try Tejas's recommendation of a soap next time.

Anybody experimented with coffee beans?

PS: My daughter regularly complains about getting a headache while in the car. She has asked me remove the car-freshner bottle multiple times as she finds the fragrance too strong and believes it to be the cause of the headache. My wife also complains about feeling suffocated in the car especially at the beginning of the journey. Thats the reason why I am experimenting with unconventional things.

Last edited by SDP : 11th September 2013 at 19:00.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 20:25   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While carrying aerosol cans (e.g. a deo spray) in the car one has to be very careful. I have personally seen one case where a friend's brand new swift needed a windshield and dashboard replacement when the car-spray kept on the dashboard exploded due to heat (car was parked in the sun).
Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
one caveat is liquid perfumes apart from being inflammable are corrosive.. if they spill on dashboard and are not wiped off/cleaned might create permanent marks/damage. be careful.
on the other hand you can pour these perfumes into dry tin-perfume boxes that contain sponge/wood kind of material which holds the perfume.
I was thinking of Refilling Poppy perfume bottle with something which is of better quality, but above two post got me thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
Hey Guys nice DIY for cheaper Refill!
But now please also suggest good cheap Refill brands and their cost.
I have started using Air freshners for my car but they create a pleasant ambience only when sprayed not if you enter your car in the morning.
I have the same query, can someone suggest some good brand for the refill(should be safe)?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12th September 2013, 21:22   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
The one in the other car is two weeks olf and still 70% left.
indeed. But in my case, it melted in the heat! What exactly is the trick? How much of the foil needs to be peeled off? Where do you keep the Odonil stick in the car?

I have also tried the essential oil, a few drops on an old "hanging fragrance tree". It works somewhat. A whiff of the fragrance every now and then, but not strong enough to mask other odours. It needs a bit more experimentation perhaps.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 12th September 2013 at 21:24.
Old 12th September 2013, 22:04   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
indeed. But in my case, it melted in the heat! What exactly is the trick? How much of the foil needs to be peeled off? Where do you keep the Odonil stick in the car?
Heat is a problem, true but to circumnavigate that what I do in my Figo is keep the odonil in the bottle holder in the driver door when the car is not in use and move this to the center cubby hole when I drive the car. Now my centre AC vents are always aligned in the cubby hole direction and this makes sure the car smells nice and mellow as the AC air activates the odonil.

In the Fortuner I hang it in the boot area in the hook provided.

Now you have to open all the slits in the cardboard wrapper box, which the odonil comes in, completely and keep your odonil stick in this box. For the Figo since the car is small, I have torn the foil only a little bit and fragrance stays well. For the Fortuner since the car has lot of area, the foil is completely removed. Since the area is large, the smell is not overpowering.

One tip do not buy the original flavour it is quite strong, try flavours like rose, orchid and valley. Jasmine and original are a bit too strong.

One other tip and since you are in Delhi, go to Auchan or Reliance and buy their brand ones, my cousin did this after my odonil idea, same effect but much cheaper.
eq24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 12:03   #70
Senior - BHPian

Maybe this has been mentioned before but another great options is Potpourri as well

"Potpourri is a mixture of dried, naturally fragrant plant material, used to provide a gentle natural scent inside buildings, most commonly in residential settings."

It can be used in a car as well and its relatively cheap too , the one below for example is available at an online store for INR 180 and i am sure with a little hunting or physical market prices might be cheaper as well

Another thing which i used to do once in a while with the Fabia was to place crushed coffee beans inside the car - now this is not really for fragrance but this actually neutralizes the odor in the car - so unlike certain perfumes which will simply mask it , coffee can actually filter it out. Used to leave it for 36-48 hours every once in a while , sometimes there is a slight coffee smell left in the car as well which is pretty cool .
Attached Thumbnails
DIY - Cheaper Car Perfume Refill!-lavenderpotpourrisoulflower100lavenderpotpourri400x400imadh8fc9dbkj3az.jpeg  

puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 00:07   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What are these industrial purfumes used for? May be that answer would provide some hint for where to start looking.
May be a shop that sells raw material for making soaps?
The shop from where I purchased, has a board indicatingthe names of manufacturers whose products he deals. Try the dealers of these manufacturers.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY - Cheaper Car Perfume Refill!-perfume.jpg  

rajeev k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 12:56   #72
BANNED

rajeev k - Which size of packing? Such industrial perfume are available in retail?
Old 30th September 2013, 21:06   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhams View Post
rajeev k - Which size of packing? Such industrial perfume are available in retail?
Yes they sell it in retail in PVC bottles like this.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY - Cheaper Car Perfume Refill!-perf.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 30th September 2013 at 21:12.
rajeev k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 09:48   #74
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
There is another refill option in industrial perfumes. Many industrial perfumes are sold in retail these days and is easy to fine one outlet and is easy on the pocket too.
100 ml is available for rs 100 to 120 depending on the fragrance.I tried lemon and jasmine both are excellent.
Try for yourselves.
How much last it after pouring in AmbiPur empty refill, assuming it capacity is 5ml.

Hope its not highly inflammable considering safety.
Old 1st October 2013, 10:09   #75
Senior - BHPian

Anyone has any idea about where to source these industrial perfumes in Bangalore?

Most Viewed