Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2013, 12:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

DIY: Mobile Phone Holder for the BMW X1

Was a weekend with some free time, so thought of converting this idea to reality. The inspiration was a recent Tab install in an X1 in the following thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ll-bmw-x1.html
Did not want to do any sort of mods to the X1, however small, so thought about a simple and totally reversible install. The materials used were all freely available cheap ones. Being done at home, the fit and finish may not be up there with professional ones but this is something where the rough edges are hardly visible since it all goes inside the center glovebox. I also did not want to lose the glovebox space. Main idea was to use my Samsung Galaxy S2 as a GPS navigator quickly without having to mount it in a universal mobile holder. I had most of the stuff at home. The only things I bought were a magnetic cupboard door holder and a piece of 6mm plywood. Total cost Rs 40/-. Some pictures which are self explanatory.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Mobile Phone Holder for the BMW X1-164_6454.jpg  

DIY: Mobile Phone Holder for the BMW X1-164_6455.jpg  

DIY: Mobile Phone Holder for the BMW X1-164_6457.jpg  

DIY: Mobile Phone Holder for the BMW X1-164_6458.jpg  

DIY: Mobile Phone Holder for the BMW X1-164_6460.jpg  

DIY: Mobile Phone Holder for the BMW X1-164_6461.jpg  

DIY: Mobile Phone Holder for the BMW X1-164_6462.jpg  

DIY: Mobile Phone Holder for the BMW X1-164_6463.jpg  

DIY: Mobile Phone Holder for the BMW X1-164_6464.jpg  

DIY: Mobile Phone Holder for the BMW X1-164_6465.jpg  

DIY: Mobile Phone Holder for the BMW X1-164_6466.jpg  

DIY: Mobile Phone Holder for the BMW X1-164_6469.jpg  

DIY: Mobile Phone Holder for the BMW X1-164_6471.jpg  

DIY: Mobile Phone Holder for the BMW X1-164_6474.jpg  

DIY: Mobile Phone Holder for the BMW X1-164_6475.jpg  

dinu2506 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 13:16   #2
BHPian

Congrats and very neat for a DIY, removable.you would have to remove it every time you leave the car parked.

Do have a look at
http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569973
Old 14th July 2013, 13:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: DIY: Mobile Phone Holder for the BMW X1

Yes, its the normal phone that I carry around. The removal is just a pull as its a magnetic lock. I will fit it only when I need the GPS. Else the plywood base with the magnet remains inside the box and is kept closed.
Old 14th July 2013, 17:27   #4
BHPian

Dinu Sir, its just brilliant.
I mean how did this idea strike you ?
No changes to the car's original fit and finish anywhere, just an add-on, that too no sticking or pasting stuff on the dashboard or anywhere; very well thought indeed!

Does the phone get support from the lower edge of the glovebox frame?
Asking this because, if its held in place only by the magnet, then won't sudden jerks and thuds cause the phone to fall off ? Or is this not a problem?

-Bhargav
Old 14th July 2013, 17:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Great initiative. Just one question, this magnet which you have used is usually used for furniture and is decently strong. Are you sure that it wont cause any damage / data loss / other issues on your S2?
Old 14th July 2013, 17:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Dinu Sir, its just brilliant.
I mean how did this idea strike you ?
No changes to the car's original fit and finish anywhere, just an add-on, that too no sticking or pasting stuff on the dashboard or anywhere; very well thought indeed!

Does the phone get support from the lower edge of the glovebox frame?
Asking this because, if its held in place only by the magnet, then won't sudden jerks and thuds cause the phone to fall off ? Or is this not a problem?

-Bhargav
Thanks. The magnet is pretty strong, so the phone stays. Also the phone rests on its edge on the glovebox floor so I think it should stay put. I need to really test it well in bad roads. I dont think it should be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Great initiative. Just one question, this magnet which you have used is usually used for furniture and is decently strong. Are you sure that it wont cause any damage / data loss / other issues on your S2?
Hmm, thats something I do not know. Need to see if there is some issue.

Last edited by dinu2506 : 14th July 2013 at 17:45.
Old 14th July 2013, 20:08   #7
BHPian

Dinu, congrats on the DIY. It is very rare to see something so simple, elegant and easily removable in this section. I really appreciate your creativity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Hmm, thats something I do not know. Need to see if there is some issue.
Don't worry about this. For magnets to damage electronic storage devices like SD cards and internal flash memories, they would have to be incredibly, extremely strong. And your magnet doesn't qualify.

Magnets only affect magnetic storage devices like floppies, audio tapes and video cassettes (which are now extinct).
EagleEye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 20:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post

Don't worry about this. For magnets to damage electronic storage devices like SD cards and internal flash memories, they would have to be incredibly, extremely strong. And your magnet doesn't qualify.

Magnets only affect magnetic storage devices like floppies, audio tapes and video cassettes (which are now extinct).
Good to know.
I was under the impression that electronics in a magnetic field is a bad idea.
Old 15th July 2013, 08:18   #9
BHPian

You should check using a compass app, when I tried out the install with magnets the north on the compass showed significant deviation in the presence of magnetic field close to the tab.
Old 15th July 2013, 08:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Today's drive to office was successful, had to traverse some bad roads and the phone did not dislodge. Of course, I did not subject it to really strong jerks, why should the poor car suffer in the name of testing a jugaad. But I'm pretty sure it would stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
You should check using a compass app, when I tried out the install with magnets the north on the compass showed significant deviation in the presence of magnetic field close to the tab.
Will try this out and report
Old 15th July 2013, 13:08   #11
BHPian

that's a nice job man. I never thought about this magnet idea. Was thinking about a DIY job for mobile holder in my polo. Thanks for this wonderful idea !
Old 15th July 2013, 18:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
Yes, the compass is ineffective when using this DIY, as the magnetic field messes it up. But anyway the compass is not meant to be used in a standing up position, so its fine. While driving back today from office, tried the GPS and it works like a charm, the bluetooth is streaming well to the stock audio, the phone is pairing well and incoming and outgoing calls are working well. So, I guess it serves my needs. I'm happy
Old 16th July 2013, 19:13   #13
BHPian

Neat stuff! I'd like to do that with my Accord. Obstructing the windshield is a strict no-no for me - I can't even stand idols etc. Unfortunately,
1. My back cover is made of plastic
2. I don't have a horizontal slot available to park
Old 16th July 2013, 20:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Neat stuff! I'd like to do that with my Accord. Obstructing the windshield is a strict no-no for me - I can't even stand idols etc. Unfortunately,
Back cover, you mean the phone? If yes, even mine is plastic, I just stuck on a metal piece there
Regarding positioning, just think about it - some jugaad might crop up.
Old 18th July 2013, 19:18   #15
BHPian

Re: DIY: Mobile Phone Holder for the BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
You can stick the Metal which comes with magnetic door catcher at the back of your phone hard cover.
Whatever size and shape is available in your car, you can make a DIY using this technique as magnet is quite strong and would hold phone easily.

Also this type of magnetic catcher comes in round shape too, if you are having any soft toys on dashboard you can insert and fix the magnet inside it and having a metal at back of phone cover would still HOLD it in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Back cover, you mean the phone? If yes, even mine is plastic, I just stuck on a metal piece there
Regarding positioning, just think about it - some jugaad might crop up.
Exactly, but frankly speaking you should paint the metal piece or Hide it somehow, Its not looking as connoisseur as your drive and phone.

If possible use some hard plastic/wood behind the metal on phone cover(between the plastic and metal) as over continuous usage, I suspect the magnetic "North" would get messed up on phone as the sensor is delicate inside it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks