Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2013, 14:37   #1
BHPian

DIY: Cleaning The Windscreen Washer Nozzle

With the prevalent use of Hard Water and the amount of Dust and Pollution we have in Bangy it’s hard to keep a functional Windscreen Nozzle.
Normally i used to visit the A$$ and ask them to get it done.

For this time I thought of a DIY attempt as it saves time and money and you are always ready to fight this out in the middle of nowhere, if situation warrants.
Items required: Around 1 Ltr of Drinking Quality H20 clean from contaminants and 1 5ml Disposable Syringe; 1 Safety Pin borrowed or stolen; around 10 mins of time
Procedure:

1) Open the Bonnet and ensure that the Windscreen Washer Container is clean, if not get that cleaned first. Remove the Plumbing Lines and Tear open the Disposable Syringe.
2) Pull a Syringe Full of Water and slot it in the Nozzle carefully (Make Note to align it properly else the needle might break).
3) Force the Water through the Nozzle and see the clogged particles coming out of the open plumbing lines.
4) Repeat this step a couple of times for each and every nozzle.

Once you are confident that all the nozzles are clean, remove the needle from the Syringe and reconnect the syringe (sans the needle) to the plumbing lines from where the cleaned liquid mixed with the clogged particles were coming out. Now do a couple of suctions to ensure that all particles from those lines have been removed thoroughly.

Post this reconnect all the Plumbing Lines and use the Safety Pin to adjust the nozzles to ensure that Water gets sprayed on the Windscreen only and not some other 2 wheeler riders.
If the outcome is not upto your expectation and you feel that the pipes are still clogged to a certain extent then repeat Steps 1 to 4.
Have a smile on your face and hit the Road in this lovely monsoon!!!
soumobakshi is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 14:55   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: DIY: Cleaning The Windscreen Washer Nozzle

Nice DIY. It is essential for us to look at these finer details rather than just checking for oil and coolant.

One could also use vinegar diluted with water to get rid of any scale formation inside the nozzles or pipes. I had to replace the nozzles of my car after it was clogged due to usage of hard water. Now I religiously use soft water mixed with washer concentrate.
Old 31st July 2013, 17:31   #3
BHPian

I always use drinking water in the washer fluid tank, atleast when I'm at Bangalore or some place where the water is hard.
Old 31st July 2013, 17:49   #4
BHPian

Thanks for that. Will definitely try it.
Would appreciate it if you can post some pics of where the plumbing lines have to be taken out.
Old 31st July 2013, 18:16   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Why would you want to remove the plumbing and use syringes & needles etc.? The piping goes hard with age, and can crack or leak if removed and refitted. You can injure yourself with a carelessly used needle.

Easy way:
  1. Use thin copper wire / 10-15 amps fuse wire. Don't use steel wire, this'll make the nozzle aperture bigger.
  2. Lift up the wipers.
  3. Ask someone to turn on the ignition & hold the washer switch in 'ON' position (make sure your washer tank is full).
  4. Gently push the wire into the nozzle opening, move slightly up and down. Remove and reinsert repeatedly, to max about 5 mm depth.
  5. As soon as the washer fluid comes out in a proper jet, remove the wire. Run the water for a few more seconds.
SS-Traveller is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 23:11   #6
BHPian

Well if you don't open the pipes for cleaning the dirt remains inside the system and is bound to come back after a while. The method suggested by you does not work in severe cars and hence the extensive operation.

Mine is a 1L km car and none of the rubber plumbing lines are so brittle to break off.
Old 31st July 2013, 23:18   #7
BHPian

Is there a self cleaning additive available in the market to be mixed up with the light soap solution that we use for this spray ? I always wondered what will be a good fill for the nozzles. Would surely be a very very convenient way of taking care of such cleaning.
Old 31st July 2013, 23:41   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibear007 View Post
Would surely be a very very convenient way of taking care of such cleaning.
Though I dont have an idea of a product that is being retailed, for a simple cleaning cycle, for the system other than the Nozzles, like pipe, tank etc, I run some water mixed with vinegar into the tank. Then after detaching the the pipes from the nozzles, I route them back to the tank. Once we start running the pump, this will have a descaling effect in the tank, pipes and joints. I finally flush it out and reprime the system with the concentrated washer fluid and water. Only problem I am facing is that the wipers switch on Automatically and hence I need to keep the windscreen wet. Wont be a pain as I do it maybe once in a year or so.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 00:24   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Though I dont have an idea of a product that is being retailed, for a simple cleaning cycle, for the system other than the Nozzles, like pipe, tank etc, I run some water mixed with vinegar into the tank. Then after detaching the the pipes from the nozzles, I route them back to the tank. Once we start running the pump, this will have a descaling effect in the tank, pipes and joints. I finally flush it out and reprime the system with the concentrated washer fluid and water.
A good tip audioholic. Would be a great idea to keep the entire system clean and since anyway we are detaching the pipes from the nozzles, can follow the method suggested by soumobakshi of cleaning the nozzles too with pressurized jet from a syringe. Will check this out in my next cleaning cycle.
Old 1st August 2013, 01:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there a self cleaning additive available in the market to be mixed up with the light soap solution that we use for this spray ?
Though this is not specifically for cleaning blocked nozzles, I've been using this product for a year or so now. It leaves a very clean windshield everytime its used, and may be to an extent helps keep the nozzles clean too. oUr 6 yr old Octavia with 80k on the odo has never seen blocked nozzles post using this. May be it has some sort of cleansing properties too.

http://www.autofresh.in/default/sona...20-31166123186
shashank.nk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2013, 00:31   #11

Re: DIY: Cleaning The Windscreen Washer Nozzle

Quote:
Is there a self cleaning additive available in the market to be mixed up with the light soap solution that we use for this spray ?
As far as I know, Ford and Maruti do have their own concentrated wash fluid products. We had got one from Saluja Ford in Chandigarh when I went there with my cousin for getting the wipers changed on his Ikon. Similarly, when I got my Zen serviced from Maruti here in Haridwar, they had put the screen wash concentrate 100ml (pouch was labelled Maruti Suzuki itself) and filled up the remaining tank with clean water.
adsgill is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks