Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2015, 19:52   #151
BHPian

Re: DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats

Recently did the DIY on my car. Everything works fine and is brilliant, expect one thing :
Smell!!! how do you get rid it. I have washed them a million times, then soaked them overnight, in shampoo, perfume and what not. Bleached them too. The smell is not going at all. The smell is always there when i get into the car in the morning and in the evening after office. Everyone who as been in the car has compained about it. I am most probably gonna get rid of this one.
For those who did not face the smell issue, can you please tell me which brand you have used.
Old 17th April 2015, 20:51   #152
Senior - BHPian

I used a brand called Durasoft. Never had an issue with smell right from day 1
Old 17th April 2015, 22:51   #153
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewper View Post
Smell!!! how do you get rid it. I have washed them a million times, then soaked them overnight, in shampoo, perfume and what not. Bleached them too. The smell is not going at all. The smell is always there when i get into the car
Same case here. I am now weathering the mat under sun, it's been a week and the smell is almost gone. Try the sun for a week or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
I bought durasoft for the polo as prestige (another brand, made in nepal) wasn't available. It smells in my car. The prestige I had in the swift was better with regatd to smell and thickness but isn't available locally now.
Old 19th April 2015, 10:50   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Same case here. I am now weathering the mat under sun, it's been a week and the smell is almost gone. Try the sun for a week or two.

I bought durasoft for the polo as prestige (another brand, made in nepal) wasn't available. It smells in my car. The prestige I had in the swift was better with regatd to smell and thickness but isn't available locally now.

I have dried them under the sun everytime i washed them. The smell is still there.

Is there anyway to identify the brand of the mats rather than believing the word from the dealers mouth. There is no brand marking on mine.

How can we identify if a mat is of durasoft make?
Old 19th April 2015, 12:39   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
I too recently installed (DIY) Durosoft 'premium' variant. I don't have the plastic/rubber smell in my car. So, feeling super happy!
Old 19th April 2015, 12:45   #156
Senior - BHPian

Anyone has newspaper template for Swift?

My car has MGA rubber mats which was quite small not an ideal size to use as template.
Old 28th April 2015, 00:33   #157
BHPian

Noodled DIY

Noodle mats for 6 yr old Dzire
8 X 2 = 16 square feet (2 feet width X 8 feet)
Rs 65 per sq feet
Mat (Rs 950) + scissors (Rs 60) + Marker (Rs 10)
Total cost: Rs 1020
Attached Thumbnails
DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-1.jpg  

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-2.jpg  

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-3.jpg  

sandygordon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 07:03   #158
BANNED

I am planning to get these type of mats done for my Swift. I have a query before I go material shopping and start the process.

I have done lamination to the floor covering the whole carpet area i.e. End to end.

If I do go ahead and get these mats done would they be stationary or move about during my foot movement?

I currently have Star mats 3D that keep moving about the whole foot well and I don't want this to happen to the next set of mats hence need solution before I go ahead.

Thanks.
Old 28th April 2015, 14:43   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I am planning to get these type of mats done for my Swift. I have a query before I go material shopping and start the process.

I have done lamination to the floor covering the whole carpet area i.e. End to end.

If I do go ahead and get these mats done would they be stationary or move about during my foot movement?

I currently have Star mats 3D that keep moving about the whole foot well and I don't want this to happen to the next set of mats hence need solution before I go ahead.

Thanks.
I have lamination / vinyl covering on the carpet. The noodle mat has a good grip and does not slip that easily on routine use. My regular rubber mats used to slip a lot more.
Old 1st July 2015, 14:39   #160
BHPian

Dear all,
Now a days the popularity of noodle/nomad mats is noticeable. I have seen it in many cabs and some other cars. I am planning to buy one for my 2011 Alto K10. I found the below from amazon.in. Can any one comment whether I should go for it?
Here is the link:
http://www.amazon.in/Vheelocity-7404...rds=noodle+mat
Old 1st July 2015, 14:44   #161
Team-BHP Support

Don't expect them to be a perfect fit for your car. At the 3M outlets, they cut the noodle mats from a roll and tailor-make them to suit your car's flooring. Not these though.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 08:21   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I see these kind of mats are now readily available for most of the cars. http://www.amazon.in/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...ds=noodle+mats

Have ordered a pair for my Alto - will check the quality against the ones in my Scorp (which was a D-I-Y job just like OP) and update.
You got them?

Are they custom size for your Alto or universal size ?
Old 4th August 2015, 12:29   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
You got them?

Are they custom size for your Alto or universal size ?
Yes, I got them and have been using them since March. Size wise they are a good fit. Although, going by the cut patterns, I am guessing these are more of the universal pattern and can be fitted to other hatchbacks as well. Quoting the review I posted on amazon-

Quote:
While it serves the purpose, there is nothing 'premium' about it.

After about 3 months of use, the driver side mat has lost its "noodle" strips near the heel. I have a hunch, they will go completely bald and maybe even develop a hole there in the next few months! The other mats however, seem to be holding on quite OK.

Alternative - I have similar mats in my other car which I purchased locally as a roll and fit them by cutting to size on my own. They don't have any such issue. I suggest you do the same if you truly want a premium product. Cost maybe a little more but the quality is waaaay better.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 13:23   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Yes, I got them and have been using them since March. Size wise they are a good fit. Although, going by the cut patterns, I am guessing these are more of the universal pattern and can be fitted to other hatchbacks as well. Quoting the review I posted on amazon-
Thanks. So ideally I should buy the uncut mat and cut them myself. Thinking of getting (5+1). One additional for driver side. How is the idea ?

Any suggested place to buy them in Delhi ?
Old 4th August 2015, 14:04   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Thanks. So ideally I should buy the uncut mat and cut them myself. Thinking of getting (5+1). One additional for driver side. How is the idea ?

Any suggested place to buy them in Delhi ?
Yes, that would be the best quality. These ready made ones are okaish in my experience.

I bought them from a local furnishings store for about Rs.55/60 per foot. They come in rolls, so you will have to first measure the approx length required. Usually these guys stock varying qualities and you can pick based on what you like most. Expensive ones that I saw (~Rs.90/foot) where a little too soft. The ones I picked are a little hard.

You can pick them from any nearby furnishing or furniture store, usually they are kept in rolls right near the entrance/outside the shop.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed