Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2014, 20:04   #91
BHPian

Re: DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats

Thanks to this thread, this is what kept me busy last weekend.My take on DIY for Rapid
Old 8th March 2014, 17:36   #92
Senior - BHPian

Its been exactly 6 months today after I did this and started this thread. I should say the mats have held up pretty well with no signs of tear, discolouration etc. Extremely satisfied. Since the fit was done well painstakingly, there is no slippage as well. The only visible change is a small compression in front of the accelerator pedal where the heel rests, but this is expected in any mat. Its holding the muck well and easy to clean by just upturning it and washing if required.
Gives me the confidence to get a set done for my X1. Unfortunately, the shop I brought from does not have enough stock of the beige shade. Waiting for it.
Thanks for all your encouragement.
dinu2506 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 22:34   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Its been exactly 6 months today after I did this and started this thread. I should say the mats have held up pretty well with no signs of tear, discolouration etc. Extremely satisfied. Since the fit was done well painstakingly, there is no slippage as well. The only visible change is a small compression in front of the accelerator pedal where the heel rests, but this is expected in any mat. Its holding the muck well and easy to clean by just upturning it and washing if required.
Gives me the confidence to get a set done for my X1. Unfortunately, the shop I brought from does not have enough stock of the beige shade. Waiting for it.
Thanks for all your encouragement.
I got inspired by this thread and did a DIY for my Manza. Manza required a 9'x2' strip costing about Rs. 1300. My workmanship was not as good as yours, so the fit was not proper especially for rear seats where many cuts were required to match the floor exactly. As a result, the rear mats do slip and I plan to use velcro strips to secure them to the floor. Another problem was a quick wearing of the driver side mat below the left foot. Not that I am complaining as it is really cheap to replace. But I must commend the dust retaining capability of these mats. They just don't allow the dust and gravels to slip onto the carpet. Vacuuming of carpet is now not required as frequently as earlier. A gentle tap is all it requires to get rid of dust and gravels. It is a sheer VFM product for the price it demands.
Old 9th March 2014, 12:56   #94
BHPian

Does anybody know how to clean these mats? They have been in my car for a few months and though dusting them by hitting them on the floor once or twice a month does the job, I would like to thoroughly wash them with APC or something. Has anybody tried washing them? It seems like a tough job to get all the grime trapped inside.
Old 10th March 2014, 19:57   #95
Senior - BHPian

Is there anyone here who has been using these for more than 6 months? I found them to be hopeless as mine developed big holes where my feet rested within one monsoon. It may be a nice DIY project but it's not worth the trouble. The local ones are not durable enough.
Old 10th March 2014, 20:45   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Has anybody tried washing them? It seems like a tough job to get all the grime trapped inside.
A few weeks back I had removed the mats and gave them a good beating from the rear side to get rid of the loose dirt and small stones. It came off pretty well. After that I used a jet of water from the hose, a few drops of Pril liquid on a hand brush, washed them thoroughly and dried them on the balcony railing. They turned out to be as good as new but the whole activity drained my entire energy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Is there anyone here who has been using these for more than 6 months?
Could you post a snap of the torn mat? I suspect the thickness being on the lower side. Perhaps the loops were of bad quality?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th March 2014 at 20:48.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 20:51   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Could you post a snap of the torn mat? I suspect the thickness being on the lower side. Perhaps the loops were of bad quality?
Sorry. No. This happened a few years ago and I threw the torn mat away. I had taken a rectangular one (like a small doormat) and kept it near my feet during monsoon to take care of the extra mud and slush etc. It lasted just a few months.

However, I agree quality might well be an issue with the one I bought. I don't remember the shop offering me different qualities. But the soft yet stable feel was pretty nice.
Old 16th March 2014, 23:51   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Does anybody know how to clean these mats? They have been in my car for a few months and though dusting them by hitting them on the floor once or twice a month does the job, I would like to thoroughly wash them with APC or something. Has anybody tried washing them? It seems like a tough job to get all the grime trapped inside.

Take your car to a 3M or a good car spa. They will thoroughly clean the mats as part of the car wash. They use pressurised air to clean the dirt. It will be perfectly clean after that. It costs ₹438 for an ecosport for the car wash @ 3M.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Quote:
Is there anyone here who has been using these for more than 6 months? I found them to be hopeless as mine developed big holes where my feet rested within one monsoon. It may be a nice DIY project but it's not worth the trouble. The local ones are not durable enough.

It may as well be because of the quality of the mats. I bought the durosoft mats (₹100/sqft) that were thicker than the softurf mats (₹60/sqft). It's the fifth month now and they are as good as new. No signs of wear and tear. Will try to post the pics soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th March 2014 at 14:24. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use EDIT/Multi-Quote feature instead of typing one post after another withing 30 minutes
Old 18th March 2014, 02:54   #99
BHPian

guys, any idea where I can source these in Delhi
Old 18th March 2014, 21:56   #100
Senior - BHPian

There are a few 3M centers in the Delhi NCR area including a new one in East of Kailash , they might have it , call and check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani_jeenu View Post
guys, any idea where I can source these in Delhi
Old 18th March 2014, 22:06   #101
BHPian

Yes i know about the 3m centre in east of kailash, i visit amar colony frequently so have seen it. I thought the ones they had are expensive. Anyways i will inquire with them over the phone.
Old 18th March 2014, 22:28   #102
BHPian

Me and bhpian roy-libran got 80 sqft of ULTIMAT at 50inr per sqft from Laxmi Nagar Delhi. I needed 20 sqft for my Punto while the rest is for Roy's Gurkha.

The project is complete and I must say I am very happy with the outcome.

I goofed up big time by not actually reversing the original mats while creating the outline on the new sheet. I had it in mind but it slipped my mind, during project execution. However the result was not too bad. I used a normal domestic scissor, the 10 inches one with plastic grips, to cut the sheet!

The only little drawback: the odor, you just can't miss the plasticky-rubbery smell, immediately after you get in the car. I used some "essential oil" from Khadi, a few drops on a silica gel sachet (as the retainer) and put in a cubbyhole. The raw smell is gone and I get just a faint rosy fragrance.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 18th March 2014 at 22:36.
Old 19th March 2014, 13:23   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Its been 6 months since i installed them. Driver side mat alone had worn out around the foot resting area. NO holes but the threads are out of place.

I kept a spare mat for this replacement as i expected this. Even my regular mat had same issue (picture link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...-image_13.jpeg). You could see the damage at the foot resting area.

Rest of the mats still look fresh and no signs of damage.
Old 22nd March 2014, 23:06   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Me and bhpian roy-libran got 80 sqft of ULTIMAT at 50inr per sqft from Laxmi Nagar Delhi. I needed 20 sqft for my Punto while the rest is for Roy's Gurkha.

Congratulations! Can you please share some pics of those mats on your Punto?
Old 24th March 2014, 10:31   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Its been exactly 6 months today after I did this and started this thread. I should say the mats have held up pretty well with no signs of tear, discolouration etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
I am sure it will be available at your neighboring stores where they sell doormats.
Can you let me know from where you sourced the roll in Bangalore? Any specific quality/type I need to ask for? I just got delivery of my 2014 Honda City and am debating whether to get 3M Nomad Mats or go for DIY based on this thread. The 3M Nomad are pretty expensive and would cost me around 5.5K (inclusive of taxes) for my car. Also, since the carpet in Honda City is beige, I might go for same color for roll.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks