Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2013, 11:41   #76
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat DIY - Unlocking Features in the Speedo console

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoosh View Post
@rahuldevnath I hope your mod worked .
Do let me know :-), Im in bangalore too , 2012 PS diesel.

If so , i would need the switch.

PS: I Remember your 220 mod :-)

Santa

Sorry for the late reply. I have tried popping out the dummy button and shorting the contacts. And I confirm it does not work!

However, I will still bank on my luck till I get a switch soldered and test it. I'm not sure if it's known that the 2013 outgoing model has the "mode" button present. Still can't understand why would GM plonk off the system from specifically 2011/2012 model only to introduce back in 2013? A short term cost cutting? Seems unlikely.

@Santoosh: Never thought, any body will recognize me here Will share the switches with you as soon as they arrive!
rahuldevnath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 12:00   #77

^^
Thanks Rahuldevnath the Only thing that i could think of may be different vendors used and could be a Cost cutting move too.
Not sure if the Part numbers for the Diesel and Petrol speedos are same .

Although the PS and LT Versions would have different part numbers i think with the clock function and the Colour difference..

Santa
Old 12th December 2013, 17:05   #78
BHPian

Quote:
^^
Thanks Rahuldevnath the Only thing that i could think of may be different vendors used and could be a Cost cutting move too.
Not sure if the Part numbers for the Diesel and Petrol speedos are same .

Although the PS and LT Versions would have different part numbers i think with the clock function and the Colour difference..

Santa
If i remember correctly, when me and yogdip were completing this DIY, i had noticed that mine (2010) model speedo console was from a different manufacturer while Yogdip (2012) model was made by a different manufacturer. I don't remember the names though

P.S: I'm guessing this on the basis on a sticker on the panel which had a name with Q/C check as OK
Mr.Beat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 08:15   #79
BHPian

Would like to add another update: OBD II in Beat TCDi, although has the "ambient temperature" function enabled, it does not update the readings. Yet, the DTE, Remaining Fuel, Average and Instant fuel consumption etc, readings are very much available!

There would still be someway to enable these functions on the console as well!
Old 16th December 2013, 08:21   #80
BHPian

So you managed to get that working on your Beat?
Old 18th December 2013, 17:28   #81

@rahuldevnath ,

The OBDII takes the data from the ECU /EMS if im not wrong .

And So does it necessarily mean that we have it in the Console also ? Like On the Base PS version?

Santa
Old 26th December 2013, 00:35   #82
Senior - BHPian

Awesome thread indeed.
It is ridiculous that a company like chevy would not do this in the factory.It would cost them few hundred bucks at the most.

Indian conumers are always taken for granted.
It clearly shows attitude towards the Indian consumer is very casual
Old 26th December 2013, 09:59   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
If i remember correctly, when me and yogdip were completing this DIY, i had noticed that mine (2010) model speedo console was from a different manufacturer while Yogdip (2012) model was made by a different manufacturer. I don't remember the names though

P.S: I'm guessing this on the basis on a sticker on the panel which had a name with Q/C check as OK
Man its Yogesh not Yogdip
Yes i remember the brands were different and guys we broke all the locks when we tried to open our consoles and fixed them using feviquick and heath solder
Old 26th December 2013, 15:42   #84
BHPian

Quote:
@rahuldevnath I hope your mod worked .
Do let me know :-), Im in bangalore too , 2012 PS diesel.

If so , i would need the switch.

PS: I Remember your 220 mod :-)

Santa
The twin beam mod or the backlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahuldevnath View Post
@Santoosh: Never thought, any body will recognize me here Will share the switches with you as soon as they arrive!
Welcome mate.

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply. I have tried popping out the dummy button and shorting the contacts. And I confirm it does not work!

However, I will still bank on my luck till I get a switch soldered and test it. I'm not sure if it's known that the 2013 outgoing model has the "mode" button present. Still can't understand why would GM plonk off the system from specifically 2011/2012 model only to introduce back in 2013? A short term cost cutting? Seems unlikely.
I guess I am the first one who confirmed this bottle neck issue on PS variants. I am sure that your instinct wont let you sit idle until it got working and my waiting ends there. Good luck mate
Old 26th December 2013, 16:10   #85
BHPian

Update: Got hold of the switches. RS Deliver -hassle free experience but took more than 15 days!

Soldered the Tact Switches, and well - it still does not work. But let's see if we can get the BEAT D, what it deserves.

I'm posting few pictures of the PCB. I have observed, there are quite few resistors missing on the PCB, just behind the switches.

I would request fellow Bhpians, BEAT Petrol owners, who have done the mod, if they can share the image of their PCBs. In all probability we are very near to the eureka moment.

Please note the highlighted area. I also stumbled upon a "TATA" in my Beat

Though not surprising, I can still vouch for my TATA Manza!
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat DIY - Unlocking Features in the Speedo console-1console.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat DIY - Unlocking Features in the Speedo console-2console.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat DIY - Unlocking Features in the Speedo console-console3.jpg  

Old 27th December 2013, 02:36   #86
BHPian

Quote:
I'm posting few pictures of the PCB. I have observed, there are quite few resistors missing on the PCB, just behind the switches.
Great D.I.Y. stuff and discovery, I am sure this thread is going to live very very long.

The pic you posted shows marking as "C25" its a SMD Capacitor and not a Resistor,
Like in your pic R140 shows "103" which stands for 10 K ohm resistor, one can refer to this chart for further Resistor value decoding.

All D.I.Y. friends here please do not solder any resistor to it, it will certainly Blow your circuit in some way, the exact value of missing resistor and capacitor may be available once you compare the various models and features.

Lastly after seeing the Fuel Efficiency few of you have posted here I've changed my view about Chevrolet Beat.
ghpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 13:24   #87
BHPian

Thanks for pointing it out. I will wait for Beat P Console and only then will go ahead and solder the capacitors. Can any Beat P owners help?
rahuldevnath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 19:08   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
My boot too is little utilized till date. Permanent stuffs are like, a Double barrel foot pump, a Jopasu Car Duster, a Spare bulb, Triangle reflector and few shopping bags. (one extra big bag for carrying whole boot stuff along with teddy, napkin box and few other inside stuff while Beaty on service)

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Engine Noise !! I guess Beat is amongst the quietest of them all (if you are referring to the Petrol version). But yes- the luggage space is pathetic (Wish I could have my Boot as organized as Salbin )
OT: On the boot space thing, I got a roof carrier fitted on the top of the rails on my LT. Mr Beat has seen it while we fixed the tact switch on out Beats. The carrier is made specially for the cars with roof rails. Cost is close to 3.4-3.6K . Worth the penny, atleast i can carry my kids Pram on the roof and some long distance outing can now be planned in the Beat.
yogisays0909 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 15:36   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Would like to add another update: OBD II in Beat TCDi, although has the "ambient temperature" function enabled, it does not update the readings. Yet, the DTE, Remaining Fuel, Average and Instant fuel consumption etc, readings are very much available!

There would still be someway to enable these functions on the console as well!
The ambient temperature does not show as the sensor is missing. It is a low cost item , and should be available at GM workshop. Please refer to this as well as Beat thread for location/details of teh sensor.
adg_andy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 15:41   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
The ambient temperature does not show as the sensor is missing. It is a low cost item , and should be available at GM workshop. Please refer to this as well as Beat thread for location/details of teh sensor.
I was under the impression that the LT Model, with ACC should have the ambient temperature installed. Isn't that so?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks