Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2013, 17:33   #1
BHPian

DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR

Prologue : A dear friend who owns a K10 WagonR with company fitted CNG wanted to fit a tacho in his ride from the day he bought it.
We finally managed the feat recently after 2 years and 40K kms on the odo. No it does not takes that long to execute, its just that we are a lot of lazy bums.

He is very satisfied with the end result and we thought of posting the DIY for other K10 wagonR owners on the forums. A teaser pic below

DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-img_20130821_004606.jpg

Following is the design brief formulated.
  1. No cutting of wires to keep the warranty intact
  2. Mod should be completely reversible - no drilling in dash
  3. Should look as stock as possible - no performance gauges

For above A-Star ZXi tacho was identified as we thought it would be easier to install due to the same engine. An order for same was put through the MASS he gets his car services from.
In meantime an exhaustive internet research was done on the topic (including TBHP) and we concluded that there is no documentation of tacho install on K10 engine. There are some excellent threads available on tacho install on old F10D engine and after burning a lot of midnight oil we arrived on the conclusion that a brown wire is available in the meter console which is the tacho feed from ECM and colour is standard through all maruti cars more or less. A separate power feed has to be provided for back-lighting.

The Plan 1 : We hoped to open up the meter cosole and tap the much talked about holy brown wire (assuming maruti must be using same wiring harness for VXI and LXI models) and install the tacho. The center deck for placing God Idol on the dashboard was identified as the preferred tacho placement. This plastic plate is easily detachable from the dash and can be easily replaced if we feel like reversing the mod.

The Execution 1 : As soon as we got the tacho we stripped down the dashboard and removed the meter console. Of-course the plan never gets executed the way it is supposed to. There was no brown wire in the meter wiring harness to be found. By now pretty frustrated we decided to stress test the meter with all the wires coming to meter console, just incase maruti got bored with colour brown. We tested the tacho with all wires atleast five times, the needle jumped on some while went all the way to full on some but none responded to the throttle input. After scratching our heads a lot decided to bolt everything back.

The Plan 2 : After being denied what we thought would be a simple DIY, we decided to get it done from our MASS as we were already invested in the tacho. On the following weekend we raided the MASS and after shuttling between service floor and accessory shop (both maintained that it was in other guys purview) we ambushed the service manager in charge in his cabin. The SM incharge is an ex-servicemen and a thorough gentlemen. He also from past experiences, by now know that we are a set of anal customers and should always be dealt with caution.
Me : we want to get A-Star tacho installed in our WagonR
SM : I regret we cannot do any-kind of modification
Me : But it is a maruti part only and VXi anyways has a tacho
SM : We are sorry and why do you need tacho anyway

This went on a full half an hour with neither of us relenting.

The plan 2A :
Me : OK, than we want to place an order for service manuals of wangonR K10. We will figure out the wiring ourselves
SM : I regret but the service manuals are only for authorised personals
Me : But the service manuals have a part number so they must be orderable
SM : Yes but these can only be ordered by service stations

above again went on for another half and hour and by now the poor SM was eyeing the door thinking of rabbiting from the torture.

The plan 2B :
Me : OK, than let us peruse your service manuals here in the workshop only
SM : OK, but only for 15 minutes, it is very technical and you will not understand anything.

In hindsight I think he would have agreed to part with his kidneys as well had I asked just to escape from that room by that time.

So here we were, me and my friend flipping through the 'very technical' service manuals within our 15 mins timeline. The feeling was funnily very similar to the last minute revision before examination we used to do in school and I was strangely feeling nervous as well.
Anyway it was quickly established that wiring harness of wagonR Lxi CNG is different from wagonR LXi and VXi. On further exploration we found the ECM diagram and found the tacho feed which was 'BROWN' only though it was meant for PS module. My friend ducked under the table and quickly clicked pics of all relevant pages. All the while I was sweating profusely with my hands shivering slightly trying to look normal. Strangely I have never felt nervous while cheating in the school examinations, I must be out of practice I guess. We also found the diagram of PS module which confirmed that the brown wire does comes upto there. By now our 15 minute timelines had extended 4 times (Service manual is a huge book and there are four volumes to it) but the SM was avoiding eye contact with us and pretending to be on a phone call outside his cabin and did not dare confront us. We called him and thanked him many times for the help extended. He looked rather relieved to see us depart.

Below is the ECM layout with detailed description that we sneakingly managed to click.
DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-1a32.jpg
DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-1a33.jpg
DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-1a34.jpg

Finally the much sought after brown wire
DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-1a35.jpg
DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-1a36.jpg

I must mentioned here that Maruti rocks when it comes to customer satisfaction. The way SM went out of his way to satisfy two retarded customers is highly appreciated.

The Testing 2B : Back home with newly imparted wisdom we tracked the brown wire under the hood in ECM. The connections to the ECM are very tight and it is impossible to take feed without splicing wire. We decided against playing with 30-40k worth of equipment and retired inside car to locate the PS module which is right below the steering column. Plugged out the connector and connected the tacho and finally it moved for the first time since acquisition and responded to throttle input. We were exhilarated with our triumph and though it was already 8 in the evening we decided to work through the night and complete the installation.

This covers the homework done before actual install. Next part shall cover actual installation.

cheers
Vishwas
vishwaschettri is online now   (37) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 18:17   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR

Great job !!

With a ECU equipped car that comes with OE Tacho for higher Models (Vxi), fitting the Ritz Tachometer is perhaps the most easiest option if one doesn't want to spend a bomb on those after market, huge tachometers that often draws RPM signals from the -ve terminal of the ignition coil.

The Ritz Tacho is compatible with almost all the Maruti Suzuki MPFI cars and IIRC uses TTL (Transistor-Transistor Logic) to read RPM signals directly from the ECU.

In my case (F10D Engine), I simply cut that Tacho signal wire behind the speedometer console (what will I do retaining that anyways!!) and connected my Tacho to it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2940506

Rest of the connections (Ground, 12v and backlight) were drawn from various other sources (Music system, 12V socket) to ensure there was no slicing or cutting otherwise.

Last edited by paragsachania : 6th November 2013 at 18:25.
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 10:55   #3
BHPian

The Execution 2B : Placed the tacho on the dash tray and decided the final position. The idea was to put it at a 45 degree angle right in the center of the tray. After making some rough markings took the tacho and dash tray upstairs to fit it.

Notice the marking of tacho with pencil on the dash tray. Three holes were drilled in plate, the end ones for tacho leg and center one for routing the wires. The trick here is to make the end holes a bit smaller than tacho legs and than force push the tacho inside for a snug fit. Also notice the three notches on the edge of the holes to accommodate the stiffener on tacho legs. These were made with a small triangular file after many trials. This will ensure a firm and rattle free fitment.
DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-dash-plate.jpg

Next we cut and grind all the mounting clips and grommets on the base of tacho other than the two big ones. I have highlighted the redundant ones in red below. There is one more grommet behind the big mounting leg not visible in this pic.
DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-tacho-base.jpg

The small snap clips (highlighted with larger red circle above) can be broken by twisting easily and they came off clean. The grommets were removed using dremel but frankly a hacksaw and flat file will suffice. I just need an excuse to use my dremel. If it were upto me I did brush my teeth with it.
DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-cutting-mounts.jpg
DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-cutting-mounts-2.jpg
DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-cutting-mounts-3.jpg

There is a collar and a rubber base to adapt the round base of tacho to a flat surface. The base also has some protrusions which we did not require. off came these with a flick of dremel.
DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-cutting-mounts-4.jpg
DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-cutting-mounts-5.jpg

With the base of tacho prepped as per dash tray it was time to assemble the two. The tacho has two legs (one long and other short) with threaded ends to accommodate screws. The shorter leg is a perfect fit and after slipping in 3 large washers one can fully tighten the screw (the ribs on the base were ground for the washer to fit flat). The long leg protrudes all the way in. I was against cutting it and decided to clamp it from the side after sliding in a custom made washer. Refer the bottom view of the dash tray below where the side way put screw and custom washer holds the longer leg. The wires were routed through the center hole. The sleeve on wires was removed since the hole was a bit tight. Keep this sleeve safely, we will need it later.
DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-tacho-fitting.jpg

We needed a large washer to slide down the long leg. Took a SS washer which is used to clamp filter candles in old water filters. Then made the notches on the inside to accommodate the ribs on leg. While my friend pushed the washer with all his might inside I drove a screw side ways ensuring a perfect fit.
DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-washer-fabrication.jpg
DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-washer-fabrication-2.jpg

With the tacho fit on dash tray it was time to do the wiring for same in car. We decided not to cut/splice the brown wire going to PS module but tap a parallel feed from the connector. Since the PS module has the standard connector it was pretty easy to tap. I have highlighted the brown wire below. The blue wire is the parallel feed.
DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-tacho-feed-brown-wire.jpg
DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-tacho-feed-brown-wire-2.jpg

Live 12V supply was tapped from the acc. socket since my friend wanted it to light up the moment he turns the key. Moreover it was easier this way without splicing / cutting of any wires.
DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-live-wire-acc-socket.jpg

All the wires were pulled to the dash tray. There is plenty space inside the dash to do this without opening anything. I have marked all the wires pulled. Ground was taken from a screw inside the dash tray itself.
DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-dash-wiring-2.jpg

All wires were put in sleeve removed from tacho earlier for a cleaner look.
DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-wires-bound-together.jpg
DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-wires-bound-together-2.jpg

It was time to do the final connections and test it once more before fitting everything back. Thankfully there were no surprises this time. It worked perfectly. I have marked all the connections below.
DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-dash-wiring.jpg

With all systems go it was time to go for a late night drive in luteyns Delhi and enjoy lick-lolly at India Gate.

View from cockpit
DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-final-install-night-view-cockpit.jpg

cheers
Vishwas

Last edited by vishwaschettri : 7th November 2013 at 11:09. Reason: attachments not right
vishwaschettri is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 11:14   #4
BHPian

Some more random shots of tacho

DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-final-install-night-pic.jpg

DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-final-install-night-pic-2.jpg

A pic while stuck in traffic during monsoon.
DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-final-install-pic-1.jpg

cheers
Vishwas
vishwaschettri is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 11:33   #5
BHPian

The Epilogue : The tacho increases the fun and cool quotient of a otherwise boring car exponentially. The fitment looks stock and a factory fit. My friends keeps getting inquisitive glances from other wagonR users on road. Night driving experience is also enhanced due to additional lights on dash and a back-lit rpm needle which looks pretty.

Now after doing the whole charade I can say that this a very simple DIY (if you know what to do) and can be done within an hour. No panels on the dashboard needs to be opened (though we had removed the entire dash in our quest) and is absolutely reversible with no permanent damage to dash. Only part to be replaced would be the dash tray which should not cost more than a few hundred bucks.

The Wish list :
1. While the horizontal angle of tacho towards the driver is perfect the vertical angle is a tad higher. This results in shorter drivers not able to see the 0 mark of tacho due to deep inset meter. May be someday we will make custom base to correct the angle. In the meantime my friend is willing to live with this. He says this encourages him to keep the car in higher rev range, K10 engine is anyway useless at idle rpm.
2. The rpm meter has a separate wire for tacho needle light. It would be great to hook this with the over rev signal from the ECM to fuel pump so that it lights up only when being over revved. Needs some more research before we attempt this one.

The cost :
1. A-Star Zxi tacho - 1600 odd bucks (Interestingly the part received was MGA and not MGP)
2. Wires, washers etc - Nil (had them in my stock)
3. Labour - Nil (Well my friend has not yet treated me)
4. Study material - Nil (from a generous maruti SM)

Total - Rs. 1600

cheers
Vishwas

Last edited by vishwaschettri : 7th November 2013 at 11:40. Reason: Added cost
vishwaschettri is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 11:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Great work, Nice DIY.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 11:53   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Great job !!

With a ECU equipped car that comes with OE Tacho for higher Models (Vxi), fitting the Ritz Tachometer is perhaps the most easiest option if one doesn't want to spend a bomb on those after market, huge tachometers that often draws RPM signals from the -ve terminal of the ignition coil.

The Ritz Tacho is compatible with almost all the Maruti Suzuki MPFI cars and IIRC uses TTL (Transistor-Transistor Logic) to read RPM signals directly from the ECU.
Thanks a ton Parag. I used A-Star ZXi tacho since IMHO it should be better suited as both WagonR and A-Star have the same K10 engine. Moreover Ritz had one cylinder more so thought it would be better to be safe than sorry. Though since the signal is from the tacho the no. of cylinders should not matter but why take chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
In my case (F10D Engine), I simply cut that Tacho signal wire behind the speedometer console (what will I do retaining that anyways!!) and connected my Tacho to it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2940506
Your threads and a few more online were the ones we based our research on. However the wagonR being a high volume model maruti had employed the concept of 'economy of scales' and makes separate wiring harness for Lxi, Lxi CNG and Vxi models. There is no brown wire inside wagonR Lxi and Lxi CNG meter console and maruti saves 2 rupee wire on all Lxi sold

The earlier F10D models had same wiring harness across the models as I remember that wire was already there when installing rear boot light on roof on a F10D Lxi many years ago.

cheers
Vishwas
vishwaschettri is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 17:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR

Great Stuff Buddy. Very informative. I had a 2007 WagonR which i sold and i had always felt that it should have had a Tacho.

I am wondering whether i can do the same for my MPFI Gypsy since number of cylinders is not an issue. Let me see if i get time to check this out. The main reason being that this Tacho looks sleek and not too huge like the aftermarket ones.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 18:58   #9
BHPian

Great Stuff Mate, Please let me know if its possible to do it for Swift Ldi. I have tried contacting a lot of technicians in Bangalore but everyone denies to do it as it can affect warranty.
slamnos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 19:16   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamnos View Post
Great Stuff Mate, Please let me know if its possible to do it for Swift Ldi. I have tried contacting a lot of technicians in Bangalore but everyone denies to do it as it can affect warranty.
Get hold of a Service Manual for a Swift Diesel and you just have to find one thing - The wire/Pin from the ECM that gives the Tacho Signal.

Once you do this, you are good to use the RITZ Diesel's Tachometer to fit on the Swift Ldi easily.

There are basically 4 Wires to the Tacho:
  • Ground
  • Power (12v)
  • Backlight
  • Tacho Signal

While you can easily "hunt" and manage connecting the first 3 to the existing wiring (Accessory socket works the best), it's the Tacho wire that needs to be connected to the right source.

See if your Mechanic at the ASC can scroll through the sections of the "Service Manual" for the Swift and tell you which is the Tacho Signal wire.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 20:47   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quite an impressive DIY. Many of us do not dare to meddle with the electricals or electronics of today's cars.
A tachometer is a very necessary gauge in any automobile- wonder why the SM is so ignorant, he being an engineer too?
But I am sure Maruti is the only one company in India that used to sell Workshop Manuals. The frequency with which we change our cars these days, makes keeping a Workshop Manual quite meaningless, in my humble opinion.So it was fine that you could click images. Or else, the volumes would have been a pinch on the pocket, as well as not of much use frequently, as we do not have many of the tools and gadgets needed for many DIY jobs.
Lastly, wonder why such a small gauge like a tachometer is not an OE with the Wagon R. Its OK for cost saving on the Alto or 800, but we pay quite a good amount for the Wagon R. Again the Maruti company guys at Gurgaon may be thinking in tandem with the Service Manager featured on this thread, who collectively feel that the tachometer is not an useful add-on.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 21:33   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For this I think if you refer to the Ritz wiring layout, you could perhaps tap the Engine speed signal in the same method. Here in the WagonR the signal is being sent to the Power steering module. Even the Swift D has a similar EPS, if not exactly the same. Just its capacity might be higher and maybe programmed in a different way. But it does take a signal from the ECM or BCM that corresponds to engine speed. Hence, you could hook up the Ritz diesel tacho to this point and obtain the engine speed signal.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 00:30   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Great work, Nice DIY.
Thanks for your kind words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
I am wondering whether i can do the same for my MPFI Gypsy since number of cylinders is not an issue. Let me see if i get time to check this out. The main reason being that this Tacho looks sleek and not too huge like the aftermarket ones.
Thanks.
I doubt gypsy has a tacho feed from ECM since it was never meant to have a tacho. Btw I too own a gypsy MPFI. Let me have a look at it its ECM this weekend and see if I can find the HOLY brown wire there.
Most of the guys I know use aftermarket tachos in their Gypsy with feed taken from coil.

Quote:
Thanks
Definitely doable in Swift LDI. Below are the steps I would recommend
1. Order ritz vdi tacho
2. Check the meter console for brown wire (It would be there if the wiring harness of Ldi and Vdi are same)
3. If 2 does not work than take feed from PS module below steering column (again brown wire) like we have done
4. Once tested find a suitable location on dash and install it

Btw there is some BS going in maruti with parts are only allotted against job card opened on vehicle at MASS. We had to order the tacho against a friends A-Star. You also might face this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Quite an impressive DIY. Many of us do not dare to meddle with the electricals or electronics of today's cars.
A tachometer is a very necessary gauge in any automobile- wonder why the SM is so ignorant, he being an engineer too?
Thanks for the appreciation.
I also do not meddle with electrical / electronics of today's cars. They are way too sensitive and temperamental. The beauty of this DIY is that since no wires or anything was cut, had something gone wrong we would have reverted to stock, turned up at MASS and shamelessly claimed warranty.

As for SM I think this is an inherent Indian trait and not ignorance. You walk upto anyone from anytrade and tell them lets do something differently from the way you have been doing or taught to do.
First standard reply is NO.
If you keep pushing they will question the requirement of doing it differently.
If you still somehow manage to convince them they will quote an exorbitant amount for the 'MODIFICATION'
No one will look at it from the POV that they will get to learn/try something new today and get paid for it as well.
I blame our education system for this which breeds us to be excellent in cracking all sorts of exams with premeditated solutions but does not encourages fresh thinking.
LOL but I think I am going OT. This is for another day in another thread perhaps.

Quote:
But I am sure Maruti is the only one company in India that used to sell Workshop Manuals. The frequency with which we change our cars these days, makes keeping a Workshop Manual quite meaningless, in my humble opinion.So it was fine that you could click images. Or else, the volumes would have been a pinch on the pocket, as well as not of much use frequently, as we do not have many of the tools and gadgets needed for many DIY jobs.
HMSI does or atleast did when I bought my unicorn a decade ago. It even encouraged owners to do basic maintenance by themselves by procuring the service manuals from service center.
Manufacturers should make PDF of all these service manuals and post them online FOC for owners rather than guarding them like trade secrets. For crying out loud my friend gets service manuals of boeing and airbus online with regular updates since his company owns them.

Quote:
Lastly, wonder why such a small gauge like a tachometer is not an OE with the Wagon R. Its OK for cost saving on the Alto or 800, but we pay quite a good amount for the Wagon R. Again the Maruti company guys at Gurgaon may be thinking in tandem with the Service Manager featured on this thread, who collectively feel that the tachometer is not an useful add-on.
It comes in Vxi variant. Maruti's poor attempt to segregate variants.

cheers
Vishwas
vishwaschettri is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 03:48   #14
BHPian

Awesome work. I had always wanted to do the same for my ZenLX'99 model.
When the DIY costs so less, the tacho can be a standard feature across the product range. I dont know why the company shies away from such an important feature.
Utopian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 09:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Vishwas. That would be great if you could check in your gypsy. My gypsy has a smaller aftermarket tacho which was there when I purchased it but doesn't work.

Most Viewed