Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2014, 12:11   #31
BHPian

Re: VW Polo DIY: OEM front armrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
Thanks mate, got it done on Saturday in Koramangala!
I should be faster with my reply's Where did you get it done btw ?
Kanasu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 12:19   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanasu View Post
I should be faster with my reply's Where did you get it done btw ?
Got it done at Fancy Cars Koramangla close to natural ice cream. Seems he has done it so often it took him only 15 mins!
Old 26th August 2014, 13:53   #33
BHPian

Gave this thread a well deserved 5 stars.
Gannu, I really liked the
1) Meticulous sourcing of the parts
2) A step - by - step DIY

Love the way you are building your car step by step!
I waiting to see you move from the cosmetic side to things to the performance side of things
raajks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 15:58   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raajks View Post
Gave this thread a well deserved 5 stars.
Gannu, I really liked the
1) Meticulous sourcing of the parts
2) A step - by - step DIY

Love the way you are building your car step by step!
Thank you Raaj. This was one of the first DIYs we attempted and a very simple one at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raajks View Post
I waiting to see you move from the cosmetic side to things to the performance side of things
As far as the performance mods go, I am waiting to hit the 25-30k mark on the odo before attempting to think of an ECU remap. I am really wondering if I would ever need so much power. Besides, being concerned about the increased wear and tear of the engine internals as well.

I will definitely change the shocks to the Bilstein B6s retaining the stock springs. Saw a lucrative offer on eBay Germany but on hold for the time being thanks to the current financial crunch (wedding due next month). I am done with most of the chota-mota mods save for the skid plate.
Old 27th August 2014, 16:42   #35
BHPian

Thought I'd let my experience of ordering the armrest from Aliexpress known here. I ordered the armrest from this link, bargained hard and eventually settled for $105 including DHL shipping. The item arrived within 5 days but with very light packaging. Upon opening the package, I noticed that several clips and locks that snap into place were broken and there were many scratches on the plastic. I am currently talking to the seller to explore my options. Overall I'd suggest that everyone stay away from this seller.
Old 29th August 2014, 18:02   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Thank you Raaj. This was one of the first DIYs we attempted and a very simple one at that.
Gannu_1 dude, I seriously don't think this DIY is that simple. I tried to install the metal base using two hex screws yesterday and boy is it tricky to get them in. I found that my car mat was covering both screw holes and it was a nightmare to get those screws in. I finally gave up and went to a nearby car shop to get it installed. Even this mechanic there found it hard. Anyway just a heads up to future DIYers of this MOD, you may need an open ended wrench just to get the first 2-3 threads in after which a socket wrench will do for the two hex screws for metal base. Additionally, when you are fastening the armrest top to the metal base, do make sure that the right side plastic is in its place. This will make fastening the hex screw a little tricky as you will have to align the armrest top with the base but the right side plastic block your view. I don't think the right side plastic can go in after the armrest top has been fastened to the base.
Old 29th August 2014, 23:49   #37
BHPian

Anyone know if the GTI armrest with the cupholder is bigger than the Polo R version? I can't find the dimensions for either one but would prefer the GTI armrest if it is bigger - length wise and compartment wise. Don't really care for the cupholder.
Old 15th September 2014, 08:40   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immix View Post
Gannu_1 dude, I seriously don't think this DIY is that simple. I tried to install the metal base using two hex screws yesterday and boy is it tricky to get them in. I found that my car mat was covering both screw holes and it was a nightmare to get those screws in. I finally gave up and went to a nearby car shop to get it installed. Even this mechanic there found it hard. Anyway just a heads up to future DIYers of this MOD, you may need an open ended wrench just to get the first 2-3 threads in after which a socket wrench will do for the two hex screws for metal base. Additionally, when you are fastening the armrest top to the metal base, do make sure that the right side plastic is in its place. This will make fastening the hex screw a little tricky as you will have to align the armrest top with the base but the right side plastic block your view. I don't think the right side plastic can go in after the armrest top has been fastened to the base.
Agree with you, not an easy task! A hit a blockade when I saw the gap after screwed the first nail in. I know Gannu had used some foam to fill the gap. Any other easy-to-get-in-home material I can use? Otherwise will have to go to a mechanic.

On the screws, somebody pls confirm their position. There are 3 in total - 2 small and 1 big. The bigger one goes in first in RHS? and rest two LHS and joint?
Old 16th September 2014, 13:03   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanomics View Post
Agree with you, not an easy task! A hit a blockade when I saw the gap after screwed the first nail in. I know Gannu had used some foam to fill the gap. Any other easy-to-get-in-home material I can use? Otherwise will have to go to a mechanic.

On the screws, somebody pls confirm their position. There are 3 in total - 2 small and 1 big. The bigger one goes in first in RHS? and rest two LHS and joint?
The two similar sized bolts will go in LHS and RHS for fastening the base to the chasis. The third will be used to fasten the armrest to the base. I actually got a fourth screw (thinner than the three other bolts) which was used to replace the existing screw holding the plastic to the chasis
Immix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 13:58   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immix View Post
The two similar sized bolts will go in LHS and RHS for fastening the base to the chasis. The third will be used to fasten the armrest to the base. I actually got a fourth screw (thinner than the three other bolts) which was used to replace the existing screw holding the plastic to the chasis
Thanks for the reply, but as I was in the process of assembling it yesterday, its done by now. I replaced the LHS/RHS screws with shorter one's.
And yes, even I received the fourth one, although the same torx screw fitted back, do didnt use it.
Old 18th September 2014, 12:29   #41
BHPian

Hi,
I am getting the delivery on my Polo TDI higline today.
Please let me know if this armrest will fit in the newer models.
Old 20th September 2014, 23:03   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F2005 View Post
Hi,

I am getting the delivery on my Polo TDI higline today.

Please let me know if this armrest will fit in the newer models.

Yes ofcourse it will fit!
I fitted mine last week, and ordered it two months before getting the delivery!
amanomics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 12:44   #43
BHPian

I'm not able to source the armrest from aliexpress because i don't have a credit card. So when i checked in ebay i came across this.
http://www.ebay.in/itm/331335186693?...l2649#shpCntId
Is this item compatible with the new polo?
Old 9th October 2014, 13:15   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post
I'm not able to source the armrest from aliexpress because i don't have a credit card. So when i checked in ebay i came across this.
http://www.ebay.in/itm/331335186693?...l2649#shpCntId
Looks same, except that extra piece of metal next the main base stand and those extra screws (only three required with the one's we have fitted). Good they are giving washers though!

Would suggest not to order this as its not the same as majority here have successfully fitted (mostly from VW Shanghai). Rather order from Vagtune dot com as the price is less than ebay one, and possible custom duty is common to both so doesn't matter.
amanomics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 13:25   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post
This armrest is meant for the Golf and Jetta MKIV and although it looks very similar to the Polo's OEM armrest, the dimensions may be different. Don't take the chances.

If not Aliexpress, check out J & J Motorwerks. They are retailing both the armrest models - the normal one and the one for the GTI with the cupholder at the rear. Their contact details can be had from their Facebook page.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks