Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2016, 11:26   #61
BHPian

Re: VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights

I installed the OEM cabin light with map lights. Then I replaced the yellow W5W bulbs with Philips X-treme Ultinon LED Car Lamp | T10, 6000K, 12V, 1W. This made it so much better.

I was unable to find any good C5W 42mm LED online so went to a shop and he installed a spring fixed LED bulb which had a slight flickering so did not take it. But I discovered that 42mm was not a fixed dimension, I could bend the holding metal clips slightly and fix a smaller length bulb. So I ordered a Philips Fest 10 5x38 LED 12944 6000K Interior Bulb (12V, 1W). I installed this and everything looked good as in below photo.

VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-img_0199.jpg

However, when I locked the car, I noticed that the LEDs did not switch off completely. There was still about 5% illumination in them. So I took out the 38mm festoon LED and kept it's slot empty. The problem persisted. The only way to ensure that all LEDs are 100% off was by using the stock yellow C5W bulb. I also noticed that if I touched the 2 metal clips with my hands, the 5% illumination on the W5W LED would go away. Probably I was completing some circuit that is necessary for proper working of the LEDs. Below photo shows the 5% illlumination.

VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-img_0197.jpg

Any idea why this is happening and how I can fix it?
Old 21st October 2016, 15:22   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post

However, when I locked the car, I noticed that the LEDs did not switch off completely. There was still about 5% illumination in them.
Hey anshumandun I have a similar setup for my Cabin light and with the LED bulbs, there is always some illumination if you leave the switch in the 'Unlock-On' position.

My guess is that since these are LED's which require much lesser voltage than the regular bulbs, the tiny amount is enough to light it up a bit.

I always make sure I turn the dome light switch completely to 'OFF' position, as long as there are no night drives/outings planned.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 17:57   #63
BHPian

LED have an after glow of sorts. Am not sure what the apt term would be but LED lights continue to glow very slightly even after switching off for some seconds afterwards. Is your 5% remaining light continuing beyond sometime?
Old 2nd November 2016, 11:17   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeH View Post
Is your 5% remaining light continuing beyond sometime?
Yes, it is always glowing if switch is at "door open" position unless I put the switch to "Off" position. If I use the stock 42mm c5w bulb in the center position, there is no glow in the w5w led pilot bulbs so it has something to do with the center bulb. I will see if I can repost this to a larger audience in the GT TSI official review forum and get some solution. For now, I am using it as it is with all LEDs and the bulbs are always 5% glowing.
Old 27th February 2017, 15:20   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it is always glowing if switch is at "door open" position unless I put the switch to "Off" position. If I use the stock 42mm c5w bulb in the center position, there is no glow in the w5w led pilot bulbs so it has something to do with the center bulb. I will see if I can repost this to a larger audience in the GT TSI official review forum and get some solution. For now, I am using it as it is with all LEDs and the bulbs are always 5% glowing.
Hi anshumandun, have you manged to resolve this issue?
This is due to the induction current generated and should be able to solve by connecting a very low resistor in parallel to the bulb.
Old 27th February 2017, 16:59   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeru View Post
Hi anshumandun, have you manged to resolve this issue?
This is due to the induction current generated and should be able to solve by connecting a very low resistor in parallel to the bulb.
I have just let it be. I'll try putting a wire maybe in parallel and see if it fixes the problem.
Old 27th February 2017, 17:40   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have just let it be. I'll try putting a wire maybe in parallel and see if it fixes the problem.
Do you mean put a wire in parallel to the LED bulb? Do not do that. That will actually create a short circuit in the cabin light circuit and may blow a fuse. What you need is a resistance that can bleed the leakage current, but not create a short circuit.
graaja is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 09:57   #68
BHPian

I was planning to fix the Auto headlight switch in my Ameo - has anyone tried this already on the new Polo or Ameo which come with the Rainlight sensor and Auto dimming mirror installed?

The units I see on Aliexpress ship with the light sensor but I am wondering if the sensor is required in the newer Polo versions.
Old 30th June 2017, 10:25   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Any idea why this is happening and how I can fix it?
This is because, some residual current flows through the circuit when the switch is kept on 'Door Ajar' mode. This mode detects open doors and turns on the lights. If you turn the switch to 'Off', this residual glow also would not be there.

This is the same for all cars.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 01:39   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
DIY #1: Swapping cabin light:

Part No. 3B0 947 105C Y20
Source: AliExpress
Price: 35 USD (Rs. 2260)
Dear Brother,
Could you provide me the link for this seller?
I was unable to locate the item with the seller you mentioned in you post.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd August 2017 at 21:59. Reason: Fixing broken quote tags.
Old 29th July 2017, 14:07   #71
BHPian

Hi Gannu, how can I tell if this is compatible with my GT TSI? Will this require any VCDS tweaks, or is it plug and play?

looking to get the auto headlight function on my TSI.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...608.0.0.ouApBL
Old 29th July 2017, 20:58   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Hi Gannu, how can I tell if this is compatible with my GT TSI? Will this require any VCDS tweaks, or is it plug and play?

looking to get the auto headlight function on my TSI.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...608.0.0.ouApBL
This does not require any VCDS tweaks. It is just plug and play. You have to stick the small light sensor in the corner of the dash, and connect the existing light switch cable to the auto light controller. It should take just 10 minutes to install the whole thing
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 00:15   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
This does not require any VCDS tweaks. It is just plug and play. You have to stick the small light sensor in the corner of the dash, and connect the existing light switch cable to the auto light controller. It should take just 10 minutes to install the whole thing

Excellent! Thanks a ton. Will try it out. Was hoping to avoid any day mounted option as I wanted a stock clean look but I guess there won't be any other position as an option to mount this.
Old 2nd August 2017, 22:02   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neugal View Post
Dear Brother,
Could you provide me the link for this seller?
I was unable to locate the item with the seller you mentioned in you post.
Hi, sorry for the late response. Sometimes, the link may be unavailable or the seller itself may have shut shop. Please check Aliexpress - there are several other links (e.g.).
Old 18th August 2017, 11:17   #75
BHPian

Thanks bro, I had ordered from another vendor however delivery is still pending and its been exactly one month today since I placed order.
Keeping fingers crossed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks