Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2016, 20:22   #181
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)
Re: My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Page 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Its actually the other way around. It belongs to and looks home on a Yeti which is a true x-over where as its just a trend these days to add these mouldings on any hatchback or car and make it look like a wanna be x-over.
Well from my perspective I am going for these fender protectors only because of the additional protection it may offer my poor Yeti against evil cyclists, addle pated auto rickshaws and moronic motorbikes...if it ends up making my Yeti look a bit better, then I consider that to be a bonus.
Function over Form in my book, especially here in India and more so when like me, if one has only one multi utility work horse / daily use vehicle.
Old 19th March 2016, 20:45   #182
BHPian

Re: My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Page 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Well from my perspective I am going for these fender protectors only because of the additional protection it may offer my poor Yeti against evil cyclists, addle pated auto rickshaws and moronic motorbikes...if it ends up making my Yeti look a bit better, then I consider that to be a bonus.
Function over Form in my book, especially here in India and more so when like me, if one has only one multi utility work horse / daily use vehicle.
How much is it costing you? It bruises easily and is only so thick. If you loose one or damage one, I doubt you could get just that one replaced. It is more form than function or practicalicty. If you go mild off roading it could be protective against branches and stuff scraping against the paint on the projecting wheel arches. I can't think of it being any more protective than that. In fact I am more worried of scraping after fixing it. But I love to live with it than not have it.
Old 15th April 2016, 19:00   #183
BANNED

Quote:
How much is it costing you? It bruises easily and is only so thick. If you loose one or damage one, I doubt you could get just that one replaced. It is more form than function or practicalicty. If you go mild off roading it could be protective against branches and stuff scraping against the paint on the projecting wheel arches. I can't think of it being any more protective than that. In fact I am more worried of scraping after fixing it. But I love to live with it than not have it.
The pricing mentioned to me so far is around 20K including the labour fitment charges and so on.

The stuff has come but apparently the glue accompanying it was dry.

So I have to wait until the replacement glue comes.

Now, I have a query for you - when you fitted these, did they fit them over the clear transparent plastic stone chip guards on the rear wheel arches?

I would not want them to remove those OEM clear plastic transparent stone chip guards because that has already helped by Yeti a couple of times in small run ins with idiot motorcycles.
Old 15th April 2016, 19:14   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The pricing mentioned to me so far is around 20K including the labour fitment charges and so on.

The stuff has come but apparently the glue accompanying it was dry.

So I have to wait until the replacement glue comes.

Now, I have a query for you - when you fitted these, did they fit them over the clear transparent plastic stone chip guards on the rear wheel arches?

I would not want them to remove those OEM clear plastic transparent stone chip guards because that has already helped by Yeti a couple of times in small run ins with idiot motorcycles.
Best is to use silicon that is used for pasting front wind shield. Use a good quality one and you wont have to worry about it. Wheel arch kit was pasted on using silicon without removing the stone chip guard. Better to leave it untouched as its very much required there.

Talking about silicon, my Yeti's eye brows came with some silicon and it proved to be of very poor quality and both eye brows flew off on the very next Chennai trip. Next time I was lucky to find some left over silicon which Mercedes uses for their windshiled as OE. Used that and never had a problem. So please use some good quality silicon to paste the arch kit. You could check with the service centre itself for silicon they use for pasting the front wind shield. That would do the job. Also, very important to have the surface de-greased and clear of moist and dust before applying.

And, 20K is a great deal. That too all inclusive!

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 15th April 2016 at 19:19. Reason: Added info.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 19:21   #185
BANNED

Quote:
Best is to use silicon that is used for pasting front wind shield. Use a good quality one and you wont have to worry about it. Wheel arch kit was pasted on using silicon without removing the stone chip guard. Better to leave it untouched as its very much required there.

Talking about silicon, my Yeti's eye brows came with some silicon and it proved to be of very poor quality and both eye brows flew off on the very next Chennai trip. Next time I was lucky to find some left over silicon which Mercedes uses for their windshiled as OE. Used that and never had a problem. So please use some good quality silicon to paste the arch kit. You could check with the service centre itself for silicon they use for pasting the front wind shield. That would do the job. Also, very important to have the surface de-greased and clear of moist and dust before applying.

And, 20K is a great deal. That too all inclusive!
Thanks again
I will get this done and keep you posted along with pictures etc when ready!

Cheerio!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 12:25   #186

Hi, Can anyone here throw some light on availability of Window Deflectors for my New 2015 Yeti? Preferably a local ( Indian and not foreign )source.
Old 7th January 2017, 19:25   #187
BHPian

Beach trip this morning. Felt like sharing.
My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Page 8-img_2253.jpg
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th February 2018, 12:38   #188

Mod note: Back to back post please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Do avoid quoting entire large post for short replies. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
Time for me to plan some upgrade.
====
Where can i source them?

Hi, I am having 2011 Yeti in Delhi and i am keen to install Projector lamp, can you refer me guy who did retrofit job on your yeti? Thank you

Quote:
Project update...
========
Attachment 1484857[/center]

Hi,

I must say i have become your fan for your mods you did on your Yeti. I too am driving my 2011 Yeti and love every km i drive.

I have one question that since you have new seat covers on Yeti, how do you take care of Side Airbags in the front seats? Does Yeti Front Seat covers needs to be designed / stiched specifically to take care for Airbags in the seats?

Thanks & Regards,

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th February 2018 at 13:11. Reason: Back to back post please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.
Old 4th February 2018, 17:01   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvaid View Post
Hi, I am having 2011 Yeti in Delhi and i am keen to install Projector lamp, can you refer me guy who did retrofit job on your yeti? Thank you

I must say i have become your fan for your mods you did on your Yeti. I too am driving my 2011 Yeti and love every km i drive.

I have one question that since you have new seat covers on Yeti, how do you take care of Side Airbags in the front seats? Does Yeti Front Seat covers needs to be designed / stiched specifically to take care for Airbags in the seats?

Thanks & Regards,
Hey Deepak,

Thanks. It is a keeper indeed.

The head light was sourced from eBay while the harness, modules, xenon bulbs were all from Vagtune, Kochi. You can check the pricing on Vagtune website and contact Mr.Sugesh in the contact number given, for further queries. He will be able to give you the latest price/availability details.

The seats need special stitching which is supposed to give way during the deployment of airbag. It's not a cover but custom stitched replacement of the OE material. I would recommend to leave it OE as the finish is hard to achieve plus there is no guarantee if it will actually work as claimed by the guys. I changed it because I wanted to convert interiors to all black and it was all done as per their recommendation.
Old 1st August 2018, 23:10   #190
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ajay, is it possible to add a rear view camera and possibly GPS in the stock bolero (RCD 510)?. I read in your mod thread that you tried this multimedia box but was not satisfied. Was wondering which multimedia box is it - OEM or 3rd party? And where did you source it? I can find some units on Alibaba, but those were for Delphi RCD 510. I guess ours is the bosch one (made in portugal). Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 04:50   #191
BHPian

I had sourced it from a seller in Chennai. Randomly came across that product online but I don't remember which portal was it. Must have followed some pop up ad or something. It's a 3rd party media box. You can hook up any aftermarket back up camera to it. It had navigation and could play multimedia from HDD. It was an Android unit.

I believe some batches had Bosch units and others Delphi but I think mine was Bosch too.
Old 2nd August 2018, 12:18   #192
M35
BHPian

Ajay, where can I get the Blistien suspension kit in India ? Were yours B4 or B6 and what all were included in the kit? I assume you got it through Pete's; what was the cost then?
Old 2nd August 2018, 16:44   #193
BHPian

I got my B6 from Pete's. They are the dealers for Bilstein. Back then it costed around 70k. Just the shocks. I haven't changed stock springs.
Old 3rd August 2018, 17:10   #194
M35
BHPian

Quote:
I got my B6 from Pete's. They are the dealers for Bilstein. Back then it costed around 70k. Just the shocks. I haven't changed stock springs.
Its INR 98k + fitting at Pete's now. Considering that my OE shocks are in perfect condition, is the improvement in handling + ride with Bilstein B6 that significant ?
Also, how many days did it take after the order has been placed with them ?
Old 4th August 2018, 05:48   #195
BHPian

The price hike is not so bad when compared to that of Bilsteins for Bimmers and other premium brands. Those went up even more over these years.

I changed them when stock shocks were in perfect condition too. Idea was not to replace when shocks were about to fail. Wanted better stability and control. B6 is a magical combo because it behaves better not only on smooth highways but even when you go over a hump or a badly surfaced area. Its stiffer than stock but not like just stiff. Its got a good balance between comfort and stability. When you take corners, you will understand.

Another person can't really tell you if its worth. That's something you have to decide depending on your priorities. For me it was well worth it, so was, for many friends of mine who always swap stock shocks for B6 for all their cars.

I don't really remember how long it took. I usually place orders when I'm out of India for work and by the time I'm back it would have reached always. You can contact Pete’s to check how much time they need to get it for you.

Most Viewed